s/o - Time Magazine Breastfeeding Cover

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2012, 09:21 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With all the talk about the Time Magazine cover, do you think the boy's face in the picture should have been covered?

Will there be negative consequences in the future for this boy? (I am thinking along lines of teasing)
May 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He's only 3 right? I'm sure his face will change quite a bit over the next few years. Plus I suspect the mom probably has like-minded friends that they hang out with and go to school with.
May 18th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why cover his face? That imply's there is something to be ashamed of. He's a 3 year old nursing not a 33 year old.
Nekinna2402 likes this.

May 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Not at all. Might he be embarrassed later one in life, sure. But it's not really that big of deal that he needs to be hidden. Hiding his face would actually defeat the purpose of the entire cover. It's meant to be topic starter, but not about his face being hidden or not.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

May 18th, 2012, 04:14 PM
foxfire_ga79
My parents have plenty of pictures of me at that age that I find embarrassing, and nursing isn't one of them. Kids will tease each other for anything, they'll find something.
May 18th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the difference between our childhood embarrassing photos and the magazine cover, is that our childhood photos werent distrubuted worldwide on a top selling magazine cover that happened to be controversial.

Will this kid get picked on because of this? Absolutely without a doubt. Lets hope he has tough skin.
May 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM
foxfire_ga79
Are you sure childhood pictures of me have never been publicly distributed?
May 18th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Of course im not, if you were on a controversial cover of a magazine sold worldwide, please correct me.
May 18th, 2012, 05:31 PM
foxfire_ga79
Do you remember controversial magazine covers from when you and the kids you went to school with were 3 years old?
Do you think parents of other Pre-K age kids are sitting down with their kids right now showing them the magazine cover so their kids can target him in a few years if he happens to go to their school?
It's the adults having melt downs over this and if other kids tease this kid it will have more to do with them having overheard adults verbally bashing him than their own opinions. How would kids know if extending BFing is even "bad" if not for the adults to tell them so?
I don't think this kid is going to catch too much hell for this. Time will tell.
Fluffy Baby and birdblue like this.
May 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me, while the pic is a little strange, I don't think this is a "scarred for life" type pic. My prediction is that by the time this little guy is older, bf a 3 year old will not be seen as a big deal by the majority.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 19th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
For me, while the pic is a little strange, I don't think this is a "scarred for life" type pic. My prediction is that by the time this little guy is older, bf a 3 year old will not be seen as a big deal by the majority.
May I ask why?

Extended breastfeeding was just as taboo when my oldest was a baby as it is now, and I really havent seen much positive light shone on it in the mainstream media

(For the record, im neither pro nor con, I dont care what others do)
May 19th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doubt he'll be featured on a 2043 episode of 'where are they now?'

The mom was someone well known isn't she? Usually those kids go to upper class schools where some things that others may consider out there is the norm. Not to say that bullying doesn't happen in those schools, but he's more likely to go to lunch with Alicia Sylverstone's kid and others like that. (Maybe she'll even share some of her son's chewed french fries with the breastfeeding kid )

The thing that *I* find even more strange than people thinking he will get picked on down the line is the people that are saying "OH MY GOD, I had to explain BREASTFEEDING to my CHILD!" Like it's some sort of dirty act.

May 19th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
May I ask why?

Extended breastfeeding was just as taboo when my oldest was a baby as it is now, and I really havent seen much positive light shone on it in the mainstream media

(For the record, im neither pro nor con, I dont care what others do)
Can you source that?

I disagree because if you look at bf in general, there has been a lot of progress over the years due to information/education. More women breastfeed now than back in the 1990's. So taking that little bit of information, common sense tells me that if more women are bf, most likely more women are extended nursing. That would mean it is not as taboo as it was.

U.S. breast-feeding rates rise to record high | Reuters

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 74 percent of American women
who gave birth in 2004 breast-fed their babies for at least some period of
time, continuing an upward trend since the early 1990s
Since then,
Breastfeeding: Data: Report Card | DNPAO | CDC
Quote:
Since the release of the first Report Card in 2007, there have been steady
improvements in several indicators, especially in 3 month and 6 month exclusive
breastfeeding rates, which increased more than 5 and 4 percentage points,
respectively.
foxfire_ga79 likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 22nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Really???? Have you met any 15 year old boys? If they get ahold of this picture, that kid is toast. I can guarantee that no 15 year old boy will see this pictures as natural EVER. Insert Beavis & Butthead here....."he,he booby, he he"

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
May 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^^^^^^

My 4yr old saw the cover and thought it was hilarious. When I pointed out to him that he was breastfed he said "NOT ON A MAGAZINE I WASNT!" then cacked himself laughing and I had to drag him out of the newsagency.
May 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Quote:
^^^^^^

My 4yr old saw the cover and thought it was hilarious. When I pointed out to him that he was breastfed he said "NOT ON A MAGAZINE I WASNT!" then cacked himself laughing and I had to drag him out of the newsagency.
really.
May 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
Really???? Have you met any 15 year old boys? If they get ahold of this picture, that kid is toast. I can guarantee that no 15 year old boy will see this pictures as natural EVER. Insert Beavis & Butthead here....."he,he booby, he he"
I disagree. I'm pretty sure that my boys will not considering bf a toddler as unnatural. Probably because its no secret that I bf both of them until they were just shy of 2 yrs. I'm sure some will have a problem with it but not "all". In 12 years time, which is when the little guy in the pic will be 15, I doubt this is something that will be a big issue in his life.

May 22nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Quote:
^^^^^^

B.S.

My kids are pretty bright, especially my 5 year old, and neither of them are socially aware enough to find this to be a humorous, nor an embarrassing situation. Either you are making this up to back up your stance or you have done an EXCELLENT job teaching your child that breastfeeding past a specific age is something embarrassing or something you should mock. My kids weren't even nursed, I pumped..and they have no recollection of that, yet they would be curious, not find it hilarious or embarrassing. My kids aren't even aware of media enough to know that lots of people will see it if it us on a magazine cover. if my kids laughed at the cover, it would have nothing to do with breastfeeding. Maybe you should rethink the kind of education you focus on..
May 22nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
^^^^^^

Odd that he would say that considering you are supposidly in Austrailia. Just so you know though Time Magazine is distributed in multiple countries, the version you see in Australia is from Time South Pacific Magazine and is not what we see in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(magazine)

TIME Magazine -- Asia Edition -- May 21, 2012 No. 20

Apparently your 4 year old finds cricket hilarious

Last edited by Poncho06; May 22nd, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
May 22nd, 2012, 07:25 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Oh the hilarity, and not it's at the magazine cover. A 4 yr old that aware of a magazine cover. Sure...I got a bridge to sell those of you who believe that crock.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search