New York plans to ban large sugary drinks

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Veteran
I guess a random thing. I get that obesity is an epidemic in this country, but there are so many people that do not care about their health. As much as the government wants to tackle the obesity problem the country has, what about the people that don't care?

One of my Uncles has diabetes and he makes absolutely no effort to control it. He refuses to exercise because he doesn't want to, he eats what ever he wants because he doesn't like the taste of healthy food, he's over weight and he continues to smoke. I think he just want's a miracle pill to cure it. I wouldn't be surprised if he died in the next five years or needs several limbs amputated.

Then I have a few friends who binge drink every weekend, do little to no exercise, drink sodas for nearly every meal and practically live on fast food and sugar. When I ask why they don't take better care of themselves, they usually just shrug and say that they are no going to live forever and want to have fun while it lasts. Most don't even care that they are over weight. They are all also aware of how unhealthy their lifestyle is.

If someone wants to live a short hedonistic unhealthy life, and are aware of the consequences, should we allow them to? When national health care takes effect I could see this being a problem because then we have to pay for their lifestyle choices. (And I do know that my friends will complain when they are older and do run into health issues)
June 12th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchan View Post

If someone wants to live a short hedonistic unhealthy life, and are aware of the consequences, should we allow them to? When national health care takes effect I could see this being a problem because then we have to pay for their lifestyle choices. (And I do know that my friends will complain when they are older and do run into health issues)
We already pay for the lifestyle choices of others.
AtomicMama likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search