New York plans to ban large sugary drinks

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2012, 10:11 PM
Veteran
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/ny...ed-drinks.html

Quote:
New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.
Smaller sodas will still be for sale.

I don't really see how this will help out with obesity. At most fast food resturaunts, refills are free and the fountain is often used by the public. So if someone were to finish their drink, they can just continue to refill their smaller cup. Likewise, someone can always buy more than one 12 oz. Sounds like this will benefit the soda companies.

I also find it odd that this will not apply to diet sodas, milk shakes, or fruit juices, especially fruit juices that are 0% juice.

I know the big issue is high fructose corn syrup. I think a better thing to do would be to stop subsidizing corn farmers which make that stuff cheap. And if that isn't a good idea, the government could try to promote healthy food. Maybe by not taxing it or somehow making it cheaper to buy?

Last edited by Rinchan; May 31st, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
May 31st, 2012, 10:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont see how it will achieve anything, like you said, you can always buy two, or refill more often.
June 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Living in NYC this annoys me to no end. This dumb arse mayor is trying to make us such a police state it's not even funny. I was OK with smoking ban in public, but it went too far with certain places. I was annoyed with the whole trans fat ban he put in place too. Now, sugary drinks over 16oz. He's taking away all personal responsibility. He's also taking the choice away from large families, like mine, to buy one big drink and share. None of us ever drink a huge 32 oz of soda alone, but we do get two and share. So much cheaper than having to buy 5 drinks with our food if we're out. I'm so fed up with the mayor in general this just makes me dislike him more.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

June 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yup where is the personal responsibility! And quite honestly if I want to gorge myself on a 36oz cup of coke, it's my right! (not that I do) But I don't want nor do I need the government to tell me what I can eat, drink or purchase.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
June 1st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Me and Jesus <3 You
Yeah, I don't really see how it will help obesity. If anything, it's just going to tick people off that they have to buy/pay more to get what they want.

Why take a large Coke off the menu but leave a fruit drink that probably has just as much sugar or an alcoholic drink that certainly isn't a healthy option.

KAT had a really good point too. We've gotten a large drink before to share.

bleh...
June 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Reee-diculous!

One argument for it is that it's equivalent to the smoking ban 5(?) years ago. People thank the officials who enacted it because they wouldn't have stopped smoking otherwise.

This is a totally different situation. Smoking is a singular health habit. Making poor eating/drinking choices extends far beyond pop.

To this end, Jon Stewart did a bit on the Daily Show, bringing out a sandwich with "14lbs of pastrami and pig tongue," a from Hooters a platter full of buffalo wings buttered and deep fried served with a bowl of cheese and a frozen hot chocolate for dessert. All legal. But god forbid you want to wash it down with more than 16oz of pop....
June 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
It's not really going to accomplish anything unless the actual goal is to piss people off. If that's the case, he gets a gold star, and a cookie(fat and sugar free of course). But, he's been doing that already with great success anyway.

I think bans like this, are idiotic. It's not as if some dude ordering a big glass of pop is going to harm me. Bans like the smoking ban make perfect sense because it's not just yourself you're harming with your choices. But food choices, like this? Come on now, that's just ridiculous. If people want to be obese(I'm speaking of those making a conscious choice to do so, of course), they're going to be obese, a ban like this is NOT going to stop, let alone slow down(or even put any sort of dent in) obesity. Not when that you're "getting rid of" is so widely available.

If he was truly concerned about obesity there are so many other choices he could make. Institute more public programs that actually assist people with learning how to be healthy, what steps to take, how to remain healthy. Institute more places for people to go and GET healthy. Public gyms would be something that pops to mind immediately, that won't cost the average family an arm and a leg just to visit, since that really is one of the top reasons they aren't more widely used, probably only second to time-as in, not having enough. I bet there are a ton of things they could do, if they so chose.

Sigh, I wonder about people sometimes. Especially those that sit in places of power who really could do so much good, but choose to use their time in a very unwise manner, waste taxpayer money on stupid **** and generally end up looking like a donkey's *** in the end. Do they never learn? Totally rhetorical, I already know the answer, lol.
June 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
100% agree with Frackel, there are many many things that would be of benefit to public health that actually have a shot at working.

Unlike this.
June 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
NYC would never do anything like that. Especially not this mayor. He runs the city like it's one of his business. Expect more with less and if the quotas are not met, then find the scapegoat to take the heat. I truly dislike this man. He ruined our public schools, is ruining our non for profit employment agencies, he pretty much ruined anything he put his hands on. He even paid for a third term that wasn't legal.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

June 1st, 2012, 07:09 PM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
Two words - Personal Responsibility

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
June 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I think there would be improvment on people's health if they did limit their consumption. But if you make the cups smaller then they'll just refill them more or buy more. For those who like their pop they aren't going to just stop consuming as much just because the cup got smaller.
June 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Veteran
I read some comments on the article where people complain that if you go to a resturaunt, that the cup sizes are already too big and how a large from the 1980s is practically a small now. They go on to say that they don't have a choice but to order a huge soda.

First of all, what is stopping them from getting water instead? It's the best thing you can drink. Second, anytime I've gone to fast food, they fill the entire cup with ice so that there hardly is any soda. I used to make it a habit to ask for no ice before I stopped drinking soda all together. Third, if you fill your drink up at fountains, you don't have to fill it up all the way. You can always give yourself half. If the drinks are filled up by the employees, you can always ask them to only fill it up half way. Fourth, no one is forcing you to drink the entire cup.

Fast food itself it bad for you and so can eating out in general. No one forces anyone to go to McDonalds, Wendy's Burger King. And I do realize sometimes, that if your short on time, that fast food might be the best option. Many places however are trying to put healthier items on the menu. You can get a side salad instead of fries or grilled chicken instead of crispy. Also, treating your self every once and a while won't kill you unless your unfortunant enough to have a metabolism that slow.

There tends to be higher rates of obesity in lower in come families. Making soda sizes smaller isn't going to help them at all. What the government should be doing is making healthy food cheaper for them. If it is cheaper to feed your entire family at McDonalds, and/or if the place where they live does not provide appliances (stove, dishwasher) then that is where they are going to go.
June 4th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that ending corn subsidies would be a much better solution. In one of the articles I read on the topic he even admitted that this won't stop people from drinking as much soda as they want. So if he already knows that, what's the point?

This might actually be worse for people, as two 16 oz drinks is more than one 20 oz.
June 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Bloomberg is a trailblazer for the nanny state. If you go by the laws he has proposed and passed, you would think New Yorkers don't have a brain cell to share.

I don't want nor need the government to protect me from myself. If I want to drink a 64oz Dr Pepper, it's my body and my prerogative.
K.A.T likes this.

June 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I'm not convinced cutting subsidies to the folks who actually do need them(because they couldn't selectively cut, or rather, wouldn't, and a great deal of those getting them actually need them-not to mention they benefit most consumers in some way too, here at least) is any sort of solution to any current problem. All it will do is create more people who need to depend on the government's already taxed system even more. It would kill off jobs, create even more debt, cause some to have to close up shop completely, and just snake even more holes all over the farming industry which is already hurting badly most years as it is(hence the need for subsidies for so many).

Regardless of how controversial high fructose corn syrup and it's production/use may be, I just don't see how hurting those farmers-and the MANY who depend on them, is any sort of effective solution short term, much less long term.

It would be far more effective to put public programs into place that make it not only easier financially but also accessible for people to educate themselves(or get educated that is) and actually have support to get and stay healthy. That's not removing personal responsibility, just simply offering a hand up to the people who could probably benefit most from it. We know it's entirely possible, if those who actually have the power to so such things would actually try. I don't doubt it's potential success for a moment.
June 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Keepin' it real!
Can anyone else see this is about money? OF COURSE if they ban "large" drinks, people will buy more of the smaller ones. Kat- (I think it was you that said you share) , they don't WANT you to share. It's cheaper for you meaning they make less money. I could be wrong, but I'd almost swear that The mayor is being bought, probably by Coca-Cola or other huge company, to do this "ban" (joke of one at that) so that people will, in turn, buy more product. Don't think that the smaller sodas won't jump up in prices, too.

my state tried the "fat tax" and people still bought. In fact, some people just bought a lot at a time in fear the tax would increase. No more fat tax what just a year later? I noticed because I wanted to buy snoballs from our local convenience store. It was the advertised price!, lol. If I want to eat sno-balls, I should be allowed and not punished for choosing to eat it, except by maybe my stomach, lol

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
June 6th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Yup, we share and I know it's all about the bottom dollar. This mayor runs our city too much like a business and it's always about money, power, and looking good in the end.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

June 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its more about control.

If it was all about the businesses, why are a lot of business owners upset over it?
Bloomberg's Soda Ban Blasted By New York Business Owners

And here's what Coca Cola had to say about it
Quote:

"New Yorkers expect and deserve better than this. They can make their own
choices about the beverages they purchase," Coca-Cola said in a
statement.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 6th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm fairly certain Bloomberg's net worth far exceeds those who would benefit from this ban. He is currently worth slightly less than the Coco Cola companies net worth.

Bloomberg is a egotistical douche bag who believes he knows best. He has killed some of the fabric that made NYC what it was by forcing those who live and work there under his parental style of rules and bans.
Tammyjh and Cereal Killer like this.

June 6th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Being all about business, and bottom dollar, for him doesn't necessarily mean anyone agrees with him. That would include many businesses-who really should be more about their own bottom dollar, else they'd never survive in that kind of economy(hence why many do not, because it IS hard to focus on bottom dollar sometimes).
It's pretty obvious that money feeds just about every idea he "comes up with", and I use that term loosely because they likely aren't even his ideas. I'm sure he has monkeys somewhere in his head telling them "oooh, good idea....let's see how many people we can crap on today", and he goes with it. The monkeys moved in the day his brain moved out.
foxfire_ga79 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search