Teacher makes students beat up kindergarten bully

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By L-SBB
  • 1 Post By Tammyjh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The Texas teacher who made kindergartners beat up a bully - Yahoo! News

I am pretty appalled by this. One teacher asked another teacher what to do about a bully in her class. The other teacher had the students line up to hit the accused bully.

There are 2 parts that get me upset. #1 - Teacher #2 thought this was okay to do. #2 - Teacher #1 didn't stop it right from the get-go. It shouldn't have taken a particularly hard blow for the the boy's actual teacher to put an end to it.

The boys mom claims she was never notified about the behavior. Personally, I find this difficult to believe, although it is possible. I have had trouble contacting parents due to incorrect information given on parent notification cards.

1. Now assuming everything that has been reported is true, would you be secretly pleased that the student got a taste of his own medicine if your child was one of his victims?

2. Would your feelings about this situation change if this was an older student?

Last edited by *Jennifer*; June 18th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
June 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
i am actually speechless at this story....and no, i wouldn't be pleased even if my child had been bullied by this student - these teachers actually victimized the other students not just the bully here and no child should be forced to hit another (i would be LIVID if my child was in this class). My feelings wouldn't change even if it had involved older kids. I don't think you teach anger management & conflict resolution skills by teaching kids to get physically violent with each other - both teachers should be fired.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 18th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my!
What to say?

To your questions
1. No, I would not be secretly pleased about this situation.

2. Age does not make a difference to me. Its not appropriate for a teacher to make students physically assault another. Adults should know better and its a terrible example on how to behave for all of the students.
*Jennifer* likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to both of you.
June 18th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would be furious if, for example, my kindergartener was in this class.

a) If he were the bully, because he was hit so many times
b) If he were one of the kids instructed to do the hitting, because my husband and I spend so much time saying "We don't hit anyone, it is wrong to hit people"

Of course I think this child needed to be dealt with, and regardless of whether this mother was genuinely unaware of her child's behaviour, or if she knew, but chose to stick her head in the sand, this was clearly not the way to go about it.
June 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Keepin' it real!
If the children themselves had decided to beat the bully up (after being bullied so long) I would say "Hey, you wanna bully? You get it back!" and say he got a dose of his own. I tell my kids "don't start a fight, but be the last 1 standing" because I don't feel that they shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves in the event of inaction by the school.

But
adults shouldn't advocate violence and then perpetuate it on a child.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
June 18th, 2012, 07:59 PM
MidnightMaiden's Avatar )O( Blessed Be )O(
I'm flabbergasted. I don't even know what to say!

No I would not be secretly happy, this is devastating, and is going to forever affect that poor child.

I don't think age has anything to do with it.

While I agree with Lynn, about the kids choosing to defend themselves on their own, having a teacher tell you to hit the child is not the correct way to deal with a bully. Teachers are here to safely guide our children, and this is just not doing it.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search