Is this justice?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cereal Killer
  • 1 Post By Cereal Killer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2012, 08:14 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
20 years for meth and 6 months for abuse of 2 kids. Is that justice?

Last edited by HappyHippy; June 20th, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
June 20th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Nope, not at all, which is why I support legalizing/decriminalizing drugs. When violent criminals are being released into society to make and maintain room for non violent criminals, something has to change.
MindyRambo likes this.

June 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I should add that this is 2 different people. A man with 20 years for making meth and a woman with only 6 months for abusing 2 of her 5 adopted kids.
June 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
The system is freaking backwards, seriously. In Canada too. While they are more lenient now, you can go to jail for many years for having or selling pot, but rape a baby, and you're out in 18 months.

Stuff like this reminds me of OJ too. He's acquited of a double murder, but goes to jail for the rest of his life for leading a group of men to rob sports memorabilia.

I have heard stories of men going to prison in the states for like 70 years for selling pot.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
June 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, it doesn't seem right at all.
Is this one of the stories?
KEYC - Mankato News, Weather, Sports - - Deanna Musolf Gets 6 Months In Jail For Abusing Adopted Children
Looks like they were trying for two years, which still wouldn't have been nearly long enough imo.

Is this the other one?
Springfield man gets 20 years in meth case - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register
It mentions he was convicted on "several meth related charges." It would be interesting to see what those charges are. Even so, I still think the adoptive parents should have gotten more time than this man.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
While I agree that 6 months was far too little for the abuse case, I'm not totally in agreement that the meth case was too harsh. I would need to see the charges to make a true opinion, though. I actually do agree with decriminalizing many types of drugs. However, meth, ESPECIALLY making meth, is very risky business and runs a fairly significant risk to others around. Meth labs are dangerous and explosive, and it that can effect neighbors and innocent bystanders, especially in an apartment complex. I would be arrested and jailed, probably longer, for trying to put a Small Modular Nuclear Reactor in my back yard to power my house (and probably a small city), and that would be less risky and less dangerous than a meth lab.

For the record, I'm not proposing we legalize personal nuclear reactors, either.

June 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
No, it doesn't seem right at all.
Is this one of the stories?
KEYC - Mankato News, Weather, Sports - - Deanna Musolf Gets 6 Months In Jail For Abusing Adopted Children
Looks like they were trying for two years, which still wouldn't have been nearly long enough imo.

Is this the other one?
Springfield man gets 20 years in meth case - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register
It mentions he was convicted on "several meth related charges." It would be interesting to see what those charges are. Even so, I still think the adoptive parents should have gotten more time than this man.
Yes! to the first one. I'm not sure on the second one, I only heard it on the radio (but read about the first one since that's my home state).

While I'm not saying 20 years is too harsh (especially if it's multiple/several charges), I think 6 months for abusing kids is too little. Even if it was 2 years, that's only a year for each child and they said it went on for 2 years. Makes me sick

Last edited by HappyHippy; June 20th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
June 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Not even remotely justice, imo.

Crimes against children(well really against people in general) tend to get a far more lax punishment than most drug charges and frankly I think it's quite stupid.

I am also someone who strongly believes that decriminalizing certain drugs is a good idea. Our legal system is backed up, and our prisons and jails chock full of people based on drug charges that probably shouldn't be what they are. Yes some charges, of course, for certain acts/drugs. But our legal system is backasswards in this country when it comes to so many things, drugs being one of them.
June 20th, 2012, 02:22 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Not at all. I'm with Stacey for decriminalizing most drugs. Not all but a lot don't deserve the punishments received. It's sad when you see abusers and molesters get less jail time than someone who was caught with weed.

BTW congrats Jenn.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

June 20th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeToTheMax View Post
While I agree that 6 months was far too little for the abuse case, I'm not totally in agreement that the meth case was too harsh. I would need to see the charges to make a true opinion, though. I actually do agree with decriminalizing many types of drugs. However, meth, ESPECIALLY making meth, is very risky business and runs a fairly significant risk to others around. Meth labs are dangerous and explosive, and it that can effect neighbors and innocent bystanders, especially in an apartment complex. I would be arrested and jailed, probably longer, for trying to put a Small Modular Nuclear Reactor in my back yard to power my house (and probably a small city), and that would be less risky and less dangerous than a meth lab.

For the record, I'm not proposing we legalize personal nuclear reactors, either.
The underground manufacturing and distribution of meth is a result of the war on drugs and further proof of its failure, just as moonshine was to alcohol prohibition in the 20s. Criminalizing supply will never eliminate demand, it only increases profitability at the expense of quality and safety. When the cost and risks associated with obtaining/manufacturing and distributing drugs like cocaine increase, a drug that can be produced in a corner of a room, with items readily and cheaply available at any grocery store is the perfect solution to the dealers, etc, that are turning a profit from illegal drugs. That being said, I'm not advocating legalization of drugs across the board, which is why I said I support legalization AND decriminalization of drugs. It's bad enough, IMO, that we incarcerate people who have harmed no one but themselves but that they are punished harsher than violent crimes with identifiable victims is a travesty. Addiction should be handled by medical professionals and let the courts handle child molesters and murderers.
plan4fate likes this.

June 21st, 2012, 01:09 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Not justice, but I believe this type of sentence disparity isn't as common as people think. It probably varies from state to state, but I know in my experience, I don't see sentencing with this amount of extreme injustice.

June 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
The underground manufacturing and distribution of meth is a result of the war on drugs and further proof of its failure, just as moonshine was to alcohol prohibition in the 20s. Criminalizing supply will never eliminate demand, it only increases profitability at the expense of quality and safety. When the cost and risks associated with obtaining/manufacturing and distributing drugs like cocaine increase, a drug that can be produced in a corner of a room, with items readily and cheaply available at any grocery store is the perfect solution to the dealers, etc, that are turning a profit from illegal drugs. That being said, I'm not advocating legalization of drugs across the board, which is why I said I support legalization AND decriminalization of drugs. It's bad enough, IMO, that we incarcerate people who have harmed no one but themselves but that they are punished harsher than violent crimes with identifiable victims is a travesty. Addiction should be handled by medical professionals and let the courts handle child molesters and murderers.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but I fail to see your argument. I completely believe and agree with all those facts. I also never argued that drugs should carry a harsher crime than child abuse, or any other crime. I absolutely disagree with that. I think courts do need to be harsher on crimes against children, and abuse in general.

I also agree with your statement that ADDICTION needs to be handled by medical professionals.

However, I do not see how manufacturing a drug (which was the original charge) that has the potential to injure or kill people around the manufacturing site, harms no one but the individual. It can, and does, harm others. Do the courts wait until the site explodes and then charge the person with murder? Or do they prevent that from happening by illegalizing the manufacturing of meth?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search