Parents give child first taste of soda....

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Keepin' it real!
So silly.

I'm curious to the mom who said "water was gross and I didn't want calories from juice" lol What were your kids drinking? Gross water or caloric juice? LOL I see why the other lady was giggling.

Anyway, I don't really see anything wrong with letting a kid try anything. Heck it may make them NOT want it! lol My parents let me and my siblings try a spoonful of beer. I have not taken a sip since that day. Perhaps, the parents have reasons for their madness? lol

This seems too silly to actually debate...
Loving6 likes this.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
June 30th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalthinking View Post

DS has had a sip of soda with my knowing it, he was on DBF's lap and there was a cup with a straw in it, he leaned forward and took a sip. And DD, well, she's had a sip of beer. I know. And this was on my watch. There was a glass of beer on the table she climbed up, took a sip and pulled a disgusted face. Just take me into bad mommy jail now. My children are doomed for a life of faliure.
My oldest used to make a b-line for wine glasses when she was little. I don't know what attracted her to them, the smell, the shape of the glass, the colour, but if there was wine in sight, she would try to grab it. Sometimes we didn't quite catch her in time. So there my awful parenting moment.
June 30th, 2012, 08:39 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Count me in on the awful parenting. Billy got a hold of hubby's beer. He wanted more, so I gave him the rest of the bottle. He slept very well that night. Kidding. He got just the sip before we got the glass away from him.
June 30th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Veteran
Seriously, a couple of sips is not going to hurt him, at all. As long as the parents don't make it a habit, it's perfectly fine. Just like any other sugary drink or treat, it's perfectly fine to have in moderation (barring special needs). My oldest has had a few sips of soda in her life. She doesn't like it much, but sometimes she'll ask for a sip of mine or DH's at a restaurant. DD2 has not had any, because she's never asked or shown interest. She can have a sip when/if she shows interest. I'm the kind of parent that only allows my kids to drink milk, water, orange juice, or very diluted 100% juice on a regular basis. Everything else is free game in moderation.

July 1st, 2012, 03:01 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
My kids prefer mike's harder drinks. They just give that extra pop, ya know. Keeps them running all day long and they taste pretty darn good too

Actually they mostly drink water, or what they call slushies, which isn't really. It's just water in shaved ice form with lime or lemon juice squeezed on it.(yes, no sugar, just the juice...they're strange children). Sometimes they'll squeeze in some other juice from a random fruit but we've always got limes and lemons in the house, and it keeps them from eating them right out of the fridge like they're oranges. In the summer this is a staple around here. My mom got me a snow cone machine for my birthday which is like the best appliance ever. We used to use the blender to make these before that. I was kinda hoping she'd get me a snoopy one but she got me a grown up version instead, because it holds more ice at once.
I have a real bad habit of eating ice-that's actually why she got it for me. But the kids use it constantly.
July 2nd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
Oh my lord, who would give their kids a few sips of *gasp* SODA? sicksick world

I mean, imagine all the people who have died from this awfully sugary dreadful drink? If you're lucky, they will only end up morbidly obese ya'know but still..C'mon, who does that to their kids?

Wait, moderation is key as they say so a little bit sugary soda is no worse than any form of candy, dessert or other sugary or fatty foods so I don't see the big deal about it.

DD has had soda quite a few times actually, who'd have thought seeing how she is still underweight despite how insanely much that kid eats. Though, she prefers water or milk over any juice or soda. She doesn't care for soda exept as a treat because as she says "it tickles inside my mouth". If she wants juice-y stuff, she actually asks for lemon water or a smoothie so doubt she will suffer all that much healthwise from the couple times she has had soda, including the half glass she got today from her great grandma.

July 4th, 2012, 10:53 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really dont see the problem. The video is hilarious.

I do see a problem with someone I know that constantly offers her 18month old soda and calls it "juice". He will refuse it and she forces it on him.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalthinking View Post
Now that actually is a bad mom, or at least someone with bad parenting skills. Plus, who wants an 18 month old on sugar? Mine are bad enough without helping them be hyper.
Yeah.. she does a lot of things I dont agree with, and I try not to judge, but that was the most insane thing I've ever seen. He never drinks milk or water, only juice (straight, not even watered down) or iced tea... and then she offers him SODA?? Hes always up all night... gee I wonder why.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 6th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
my kids dont get caffeinated sodas, generally root beer as a treat at grandparents because frankly its exactly that, a treat they dont get at home. but yeah ive been known to give them tea which is caffeinated and juice. and yet theyre favorite drink is still water and milk hands down. they are helathy weights. well technically my daughter is underweight but shes just small. and i dont give them pop because im lazy, because i find i give water when im being lazy. they can refill there own bottles and i dont have to get up. so yeah.... not sure what to say to that one.

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

July 7th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
I really dont see the problem. The video is hilarious.

I do see a problem with someone I know that constantly offers her 18month old soda and calls it "juice". He will refuse it and she forces it on him.
Sidetrack slightly, but what is this? Lux has a friend whose mother calls all fizzy drinks juice too. It's a bit of a running joke in our family, "Oh look, it's a bottle of Pepsi-juice"
July 7th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by over.the.moon View Post
Wait...it's not ok to have a steady diet of junk food? DD had a big bag of jelly beans and chocolate milkshake for breakfest? Was that...was that wrong? Sure did make her happy.
It depends. If the jelly beans were Jelly Belly, they're a great breakfast. If they're any other brand out there, not so good. Milkshake would be considered a dairy product so even with all the sugar, its not as fun as say.....Mt. Dew.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 18th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids have had sips of soda. We do not make a habit of it. They are very educated about healthy eating choices and they even know to brush their teeth after having soda. We believe in moderation.
Cake and Ice cream is a great treat for a special occasions-I don't see how a little bit of soda sometimes is any different. Some juice has alarming amounts of sugar in it and I'd sooner share a 7 up with my 3 year old than let him have whats inside some of those juice brands! We rarely have juice in our house at all. We all drink water as our drink of choice.
We certainly don't make a habit of letting our kids drink soda but I have no problem letting them have a little from time to time for special occasions. It's not like it's a cigarette for crying out loud.
August 21st, 2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran
I wish people would get this upset over the real issues in this country.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
September 29th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
Yeah no my 7 1/2 year old has only had a few sips of soda in her 7 1/2 years so no way would I give a baby any, I don't care what anyone says I belive that stuff is poison but whatever if parents want to give there kids crap they can don't upset my boat
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

October 3rd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH drinks roughly a 2 liter a day so I'd obviously like to avoid it getting to THAT level but a little bit here and there isn't bad.
October 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the video is adorable, and there is nothing wrong with it as long as it's not a habit. Moderation is key for anything.

October 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Super Mommy
Cute video, couldn't care less that they gave him soda.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search