Teacher fired for content of blog

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By AMDG
  • 1 Post By Tammyjh
  • 2 Post By *Leslie*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Fired Philly area teacher with controversial blog sues district | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Right to fire her?
Free speech or over the line?

June 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM
foxfire_ga79
Free speech all the way. She didn't name names so who can claim defamation of character?
The things she said were hurtful but if they were true then she has the right to say it. I never thought teachers were ever under any obligation to not complain about students. Are they only supposed to say good things?
So her method of delivery included profanity. Big deal. From the sounds of her students they probably didn't learn any new words from reading her blog.
Hopefully after reading that blog some students and parents have done some soul searching.
June 27th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I think the school pulled a total ******* move and had no right to do so. I'd feel differently if she actually named people or made it so glaringly obvious exactly who she was talking about at all times. She didn't though.

I honestly don't understand this part...
Quote:
"While something may be legally right, it may not be ethically or morally right," Lucabaugh wrote. "There are consequences that occur when a person chooses to exercise her rights and say outrageous, disrespectful, vulgar and cruel things about other people ... especially when it's a teacher saying terrible things about the young men and women who are in her classroom."
For one thing, we don't get to decide morals for another person. What one might find morally reprehensible another might not think is all too bad. There is way too much grey area here for ANYONE to be in a position to say another's morals are in question. I'm quite certain that this person also has morals others don't necessarily agree with, as we ALL do. That's life buddy.

She has every right to rant, rave, whatever else she decides to do, as long as her rights don't stop on another's...and they didn't. Your rights only end when you disrupt the rights of another. She did nothing of the sort.

Not agreeing with someone doesn't necessarily make their actions inherently wrong. I don't agree with a lot of things and would personally consider myself doing wrong, if I did do them. But that doesn't mean everyone else who chooses to engage in them is wrong, outside of my personal opinion.

With some of the **** teachers have to put up with, I'm quite certain she's not alone. In fact, I know she's not. She doesn't have to post in an anonymous fashion, regardless of what anyone thinks. But she did do her coworkers, employers and students a favor by remaining at least somewhat ambiguous.

I also don't believe for one second students requested to not be in her class when she did come back. I strongly believe their parents had a lot more influence on that then they did. Because god forbid someone think your little asshat child is being an asshat and dare rant about it(without mentioning the child's name). Oh no your little terror is a perfect angel. That's why upon reading the blog you knew exactly who she was talking about, right? Yeah, I buy that. Ugh....

I'm a big fan of freedom of speech, personally, as long as like I said it does not trample the rights of another. I don't have to agree with what people say, or how they say it, to agree that they have every right to do so. Unless her contract forbids it, which obviously it did not, they really don't, or shouldn't, have a leg to stand on. She, however, did, and still does. They tried to trample on HER contract, not the other way around. Tsk tsk on them.

I fully agree with her on this point..
Quote:
In her most recent blog post, dated June 5, 2012, Munroe wrote: "The issue with my job is bigger than me. It's about freedom of speech. It's about having integrity and not compromising the truth. It's about the downward spiral of our education system and the low value that people place on education. It's about making people accountable. It's about standing up for personal beliefs and not apologizing when those beliefs aren't popular."
June 27th, 2012, 10:26 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Free speech. She could have done a better job about being anonymous, but she's still entitled to free speech.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

June 28th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If they can prove that she really was a subpar teacher and was on her way out anyway, then I'll stand by the school. It's going to be hard to do though I think.

Of course if she WAS that sucky of a teacher maybe that's why her students weren't interested in the class and didn't get good grades and didn't want to be there

June 28th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She doesn't sound very smart. She tried to stay anonymous by posting her first name, last initial, and her photo? Nope. No one will ever figure out who you are that way.

As for the rest, I agree that she should be able to say what she wants but if it gets in the way of teaching her class, its probably time for her to find a new job.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
I'd probably agree with much of what she wrote in her blog but I firmly believe an employer should be able to fire anybody for just about any reason at all - the exception being if the person is part of a protected class.
*Leslie* likes this.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
June 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She has a right to say what she wants but I wouldn't want someone as angry & burnt out as that teaching my kids. If this is how she feels about the kids she's teaching then I wonder what effort she puts into teach them. You don't think the kids in her class could feel her hate? I doubt she could hide it that well. I think the school was justified.

I've seen people in corporate America get fired because they were constant complainers. They have freedom of speech & what they were saying was true but it made the working environment awful to be in. Things got better when the cancers were removed. There are always consequences to our actions.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
June 28th, 2012, 12:17 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
in Adler v Board of Education, the Court said, "You have a constitutional right to say and think as you will, but you have no constitutional right to work for the government."

I think a lot depends on whether the topic of the speech was a matter of public concern.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII

Last edited by AMDG; June 28th, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
June 28th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
She has a right to say what she wants but I wouldn't want someone as angry & burnt out as that teaching my kids. If this is how she feels about the kids she's teaching then I wonder what effort she puts into teach them. You don't think the kids in her class could feel her hate? I doubt she could hide it that well. I think the school was justified.
I agree. I think her freedom of speech has gotten in the way of her ability to present herself as a professional to her students, their parents, and her co workers. Definitely not someone I would want teaching my children and if I read this, I would be in to the school board asap lodging a complaint
Quote:
"I hate your kid," "Don't you know how to raise kids," and "Your child has no
other redeeming qualities." Munroe described her students with epithets like
"rat-like," and "utterly loathsome."
*Leslie* likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 28th, 2012, 02:54 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
If I wrote something like this about my clients, I would definitely be disciplined.
Someone above was talking about morals being a grey area. In real life, it is. But, most teaching contracts have a moral clause which the School Board can use to fire people. Look at all of the people that have been fired for nude pictures, facebook photos that are less than becoming. I believe the employer should have that right.

Further, she may very well be on point with a lot of things she said, but they were totally out of line. I would not want that disgruntled women teaching my children.
Tammyjh and tiredmom like this.

June 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Free speech all the way. She didn't name names so who can claim defamation of character?
The things she said were hurtful but if they were true then she has the right to say it. I never thought teachers were ever under any obligation to not complain about students. Are they only supposed to say good things?
So her method of delivery included profanity. Big deal. From the sounds of her students they probably didn't learn any new words from reading her blog.
Hopefully after reading that blog some students and parents have done some soul searching.
Funny, because I wouldn't necessarily assume (reading the blog) that it was about me (or my kids) unless I (or my kids) were acting and KNEW that I or my kids were acting in the manners she described, LOL.

Obviously, she has an audience....maybe she'll use it to make a book and make income.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search