Public Assistance In The News

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I know that budget cuts have resulted in teacher lay offs, school closings, cutting fine arts programs, teaching materials, AP and gifted programs and, in general, significantly lowered the quality of education available to students and that's okay. I suppose we just expect wasteful spending like tax funded manicures to be stopped and, what? We just expect people on public assistance to do their own nails? Like it's just that easy? Oh, wait....
plan4fate likes this.

July 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLoved View Post
Just to clarify, EBT, food stamps, and WIC are all different. WIC is the strictest.
EBT and food stamps (which is called SNAP now) are the same. EBT is just a card that has either food or cash on it. WIC is a check and you can only get WIC approved foods on it. Normally with EBT food you can buy any food item, but it will pick up on a non-food item and will not be able to buy it. I'm assuming those who were getting their nails done and buying cigs were actually using the EBT cash.
July 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Separate transactions are not necessary here. Registers read all items in the same transaction and at payment it separates food/eligible from non-food/non-eligible items. It does food first, and then any cash that needs to be paid it asks for second. So the payment portion is separate but everything can be rung up at once.
WIC on the other hand, has to be it's own transaction, no matter what, because of how the entire thing is processed. It's completely different from an EBT purchase.

Not every state calls food stamps, or even cash the same thing, either. I've seen several different names for both. The EBT card in this state is called the Ohio Direction Card. You only get cash assistance with the Ohio Works First program-which the majority of people in this state never qualify for anyway-despite what the qualification requirements might say. Even when not working I've never qualified for it(when you apply for ANY kind of assistance, you automatically apply for both cash and food assistance too here, even when we re-certify the kids insurance the system automatically checks for other benefits available-or potentially). In fact I only know of a handful of people who ever have gotten cash-and what they have gotten is next to nothing(though still, something, so they're grateful). I don't know if they're simply more strict than other states or what as far as cash goes. There are a lot less abusers of cash assistance, than food stamps here-there's tons of abusers of food stamps, just like everywhere else. But cash assistance here is not easy to come by, and it's always had a benefit limit too(both a time limit and amount limit). The limits have varied here and there, but they've been in place for as long as the programs have existed here.

I can't picture them allowing people to use their cash assistance for anything they so choose here. But then this also isn't a state that allows you to buy fast food with the food stamps, either. I don't see this changing anytime soon either. They have no interest in allowing people to purchase hot prepared foods, it's been proposed numerous times and always shot down. So non-essentials on cash...yeah, ain't happening.
July 20th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in Ohio, too, and this topic has always been a sensitive one for me, only because I have felt like when people ridicule those who do get the assistance, they just lump everyone together in one mold, even the ones who honestly need the help and aren't dressed to the nines or getting manicures.

We went from having lucrative income, and living comfortably, to zilch fairly overnight. Didn't run out to get assistance right away. We sold off everything of value first and used up our savings.

When we were getting assistance, I always felt embarrassed shopping with my card. I didn't want other customers to see how I was getting my groceries for my (then) 4 kids. I had the habit of buying them m&m's once a month as a treat. I had a cashier mortify me in the check out when she held up the bag of m&m's (I was buying a large bag and it cost $4) and declared loudly, "I work a job and I can't afford to buy these!" She knew nothing about my situation, yet she was judging. I was mortified, and angry, and I promptly replied, "I'll happily trade places with you. I'll work your job and not be able to buy candy for my kids and you can have my food stamps." She clamped her mouth shut, and I also complained to her manager.

But that one experience has made me self conscience about everything we buy, even with our own earned money.

It is so easy for us to look around at others, and what they are buying and how they are paying and judge them.

Income wise, we're Ok now, but we still fall in the income guidelines to get FS for our children. I'm sure if people looked at us from the outside in, they might say if we can afford xx and xx we don't need to be getting FS.

I assure you, I report everything. I've been told by my caseworkers that I've given them more information than they need, because certain things no longer apply to foodstamps, like your resources. They do not care how new or old your car is, or if you get a one time lump sum payment (like retroactive pay for SSDI/SSI), it does count for things like PIPP or Cash Assistance, but not the food stamp program.

Things I do try to educate people on, though, is what they can buy to help their situation, like seeds and food producing plants. Those are allowable purchases on foodstamps in I'm pretty sure every state. This means, you can plant a garden, grow your own food all summer long. Can it/preserve it. This is a way of providing food for yourselves/family once you (hopefully) no longer qualify for the FS program.

During the time frame that my husband and I had no income, we used the assistance we got to buy food producing plants that come back, like fruit trees, blueberry bushes, raspberry bushes, grape vines, rhubarb, an asparagus bed, etc. We also normally shop the perimeter of the store, buying fresh produce and veggies and meats for our kids. We purchased little in the way of processessed foods, with the exception of a frozen pizza once a month. And that bag of m&m's. And possibly a cake from the bakery if it is someone's birthday.

My point is, you may see a person on ONE shopping trip. They may be buying ONE thing you do not agree with, but unless you see them buying that way all the time, you don't really know if that is a regular shopping habit of theirs or if it's a special occassion. Nor do you know if that pack of cigarrettes they were buying were actually for them, or for their next door neighbor who might have said, "hey, if you're going to the store will you pick up __________ for me if I give you the money?" (unless you see them walk out and light it up).

I have no comment on the nails, other than I'd love to get mine done, I just can't fit it into our budget right now.

July 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
^ There is a difference buying an occassional food treat and buying cigs or getting your nails done. Assistance is there to help supplement you, not to help get your nails done, which you don't *need*.

My Dh and I were on assistance many years ago when we were first starting out, so I completely understand the judgement, etc. But I still dont' think it's right for people to be using that part of their "income" on nail salons or tobacco.
*Jennifer* likes this.
July 20th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy

EBT and food stamps (which is called SNAP now) are the same. EBT is just a card that has either food or cash on it. WIC is a check and you can only get WIC approved foods on it. Normally with EBT food you can buy any food item, but it will pick up on a non-food item and will not be able to buy it. I'm assuming those who were getting their nails done and buying cigs were actually using the EBT cash.
I was meaning to differentiate between Food Stamps, CASH assistance, and WIC.

July 20th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Ah I gotcha

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search