Paid maternity leave yay or nay

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree59Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whether its taxed or not, I still don't agree with taxpayers funding mom or dad to stay home and not work. As I stated above, when programs for the elderly and those with special needs are being cut, the able bodied should be working, not being paid by the govt. to stay home.
~Kris~ likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
July 29th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Keepin' it real!
^
That may be so, but I'd much rather pay for a woman or man to want to have a family (a very natural want) and have 3 kids and stay home for up to 3 years (at 1 yr a piece) because s/he wants to be with his/her baby, than to pay for women/men having 3 kids they really don't want all that much simply so they can stay on welfare as long as they can, while usually failing to report one or the other person's income to the State.
plan4fate likes this.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
July 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
^
That may be so, but I'd much rather pay for a woman or man to want to have a family (a very natural want) and have 3 kids and stay home for up to 3 years (at 1 yr a piece) because s/he wants to be with his/her baby, than to pay for women/men having 3 kids they really don't want all that much simply so they can stay on welfare as long as they can, while usually failing to report one or the other person's income to the State.
And I would rather pay for someone with a brain injury to gain access to services or housing in less than seven years(its a seven year wait in my state) than an able bodied mom or dad to stay home with their child or pay for someone to buy cigs, jewelry, get their nails done, etc... with their EBT. Meaning we should only be paying for people who are actually NEEDY. Not for those who are not. Paid maternity leave for everyone sounds "nice" but its not really a "necessity."
~Kris~ and foxfire_ga79 like this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
July 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
No offense, but your first sentence is assumptive. First of all, you're stating that having kids is a problem, second you're putting it on the woman. Last I checked, there have been men involved in making babies too. Third of all, you're ALREADY paying for people to have kids. Guess what, your tax money goes to welfare. Guess what, the premium your husband's employer makes him pay probably goes toward some sort of maternity coverage. Though YOU may use maternity coverage only once or twice, your'e paying for any possible or real use of maternity coverage for everyone else. You are ALREADY paying for "HER PROBLEM". And likewise, people are paying for YOUR problem. You're on JM, so I assume you're either a mom or ttc. This means SOMEONE somewhere, unless you mean to tell me you are rich and pay cash for everything, do not have any insurance policies, etc...is paying for YOUR benefit to have a child in some way or another. Oh, and when YOU watch other people's kids in your home unlicensed, it's more likely than not that you're not even personally paying taxes for YOUR income, again a benefit to YOU. (POST CUT OFF, ADDING) So before you say "NO WAY am I paying anything for a mom to stay home, her problem, HER choice etc" remember that a lot of us, in some way, do pay for YOUR choices as well. Not necessarily a "bad" thing just how it is.
If you had read carefully, the PROBLEM referenced was not being able to afford to stay home, NOT having a child.

Quote:
To the underlined: What? That's not at all what my comments addressed. It addressed benefits to her (possibly) not paying taxes on her portion of her income. It's pretty standard that unlicensed babysitters do not pay taxes. I didn't say or assume SHE personally doesn't pay taxes, just said "more likely than not" because those are the facts that babysitters get cash and do not report it. I didn't say I know that you're not paying taxes, like she said that it's the WOMAN'S problem having kids. SHE said it, I responded based off her statement. If she didn't mean it that way, then that's one thing, but I can only post about what's there. BIG difference in statements. I'm speaking from a statistical point of view, anyway. I'd love to produce tables, but I don't see anyone getting $$ under the table reporting that information to the public. lol
Your ASSUMPTION is incorrect. I have always paid my taxes, thanks for asking though.
July 30th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Guess what, your tax money goes to welfare. .
And your point is what? That its okay to extend the welfare program to pay women to have babies?

July 31st, 2012, 10:28 AM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
And I would rather pay for someone with a brain injury to gain access to services or housing in less than seven years(its a seven year wait in my state) than an able bodied mom or dad to stay home with their child or pay for someone to buy cigs, jewelry, get their nails done, etc... with their EBT. Meaning we should only be paying for people who are actually NEEDY. Not for those who are not. Paid maternity leave for everyone sounds "nice" but its not really a "necessity."
I don't agree with people on food stamps/welfare should be allowed to live off the system and never be motivated to work while paying to buy cigs, jewelry and getting their nails done (etc) either. As many debates as we've had over that very thing, I think everyone knows where I stand on that. But this is not "welfare" this is a benefit that generally motivates mothers to go to work after that year off. Maternity leave and welfare ideally would be two different "buckets" of money. Welfare- needed to LIVE
Maternity BENEFITS- a BENEFIT to working women or men to encourage them to keep their jobs if they're working. If they're not working, I don't understand how they'd be getting the maternity benefit anyway.

Kris- Re read MY statement on taxes...no one said YOU don't pay, did they? As you SHOULD have caught, I stated that from a statistical point of view (because I don't know you in person), it is not usual that babysitters report their income. Sorry, babysitters usually get paid cash, and usually do not report it to the IRS. Their HUSBANDS often do work and pay taxes, so yes, as a family, these people do pay some taxes, but they're under-reporting their income. Not saying this is you as I stated at least twice before. This is speaking from what I have seen in person and what I know about people who get paid CASH and are not 1099'ed. You didn't state if you ran a licensed or unlicensed facility, which usually makes a big difference in whether that babysitting income is reported.

July 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
I don't agree with people on food stamps/welfare should be allowed to live off the system and never be motivated to work while paying to buy cigs, jewelry and getting their nails done (etc) either. As many debates as we've had over that very thing, I think everyone knows where I stand on that. But this is not "welfare" this is a benefit that generally motivates mothers to go to work after that year off. Maternity leave and welfare ideally would be two different "buckets" of money. Welfare- needed to LIVE
Maternity BENEFITS- a BENEFIT to working women or men to encourage them to keep their jobs if they're working. If they're not working, I don't understand how they'd be getting the maternity benefit anyway.
When the government has to increase taxes to pay women to stay home, it does not benefit the taxpayers. Its not the taxpayers responsibility to fund mom or dad to stay home for year. Its mom's and dad's.

As far as those not working, the OP was talking about "maternity leave" for everyone. She didn't specifically spell it out in her first post but asked in post #6
Quote:
Does that mean that you're against the government funding it for everybody so
every child can have the benefits of spending their first year at home with
their parent?

July 31st, 2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Kris- Re read MY statement on taxes...no one said YOU don't pay, did they? As you SHOULD have caught, I stated that from a statistical point of view (because I don't know you in person), it is not usual that babysitters report their income. Sorry, babysitters usually get paid cash, and usually do not report it to the IRS. Their HUSBANDS often do work and pay taxes, so yes, as a family, these people do pay some taxes, but they're under-reporting their income. Not saying this is you as I stated at least twice before. This is speaking from what I have seen in person and what I know about people who get paid CASH and are not 1099'ed. You didn't state if you ran a licensed or unlicensed facility, which usually makes a big difference in whether that babysitting income is reported.
Well considering you quoted me to respond to what I said after I had mentioned that previously I had watched kids and you specifically typed YOU, not you, or saying you in general, it looks pretty obvious that you were trying to state that about me. I fail to see where you stated it was not me twice before.

I find it interesting that you think you know enough babysitters to say usually they do not pay taxes. Maybe you aren't associating with honest people if that is your experience, but I think it is far too broad of a statement to make across the board.
July 31st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My taxes are high enough! I am SUPER grateful that my company allows 6 months with job protection but I would like a year. I am not asking to be paid, only asking that I could have up to a year without loosing my job. I also think this should only apply to the large companies.
July 31st, 2012, 10:15 PM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
Well considering you quoted me to respond to what I said after I had mentioned that previously I had watched kids and you specifically typed YOU, not you, or saying you in general, it looks pretty obvious that you were trying to state that about me. I fail to see where you stated it was not me twice before.

I find it interesting that you think you know enough babysitters to say usually they do not pay taxes. Maybe you aren't associating with honest people if that is your experience, but I think it is far too broad of a statement to make across the board.
Probably, 'not saying you', usually...all those were in ALL of the posts. I was CAREFUL to put those words there. You may dig up the posts yourself to see that. I am not going through the trouble to point out what IS STILL THERE.

Interesting that a former child care provider knows enough babysitters? Now you are just being petty. Of COURSE I know a ton of baby sitters, a TON of people who do both licensed/unlicesed. I'm also a MOTHER. WHO USES babysitters and when I pay them, I don't get a receipt. Again, you're taking it personal. Why? If YOU pay your taxes, what do you care what I think about it? Sounds to me like someone isn't being exactly forthcoming HERSELF. And NOW I'm addressing YOU specifically. It's suspicious to me that YOU are upset with ME because of what I post about "general" tax reporting/underreporting based on my VERY EXTENSIVE experience in the child care field. I was in it 12 years, so I promise you I saw more than you could possibly imagine.

Last edited by GSLynn; July 31st, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
August 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
and when YOU watch other people's kids in your home unlicensed, it's more likely than not that you're not even personally paying taxes for YOUR income, again a benefit to YOU.
Looking at this quote, like I said previously, looks pretty obvious that you are trying to say this about me by using YOU after you had quoted me. I'll give you that you said more likely than not, but clearly we all knows that means you are implying that is the case, which is entirely false.

As for being upset with you, , don't flatter yourself. I know what I have paid. I was merely pointing it out to you since you seemed to question it.

Sure, you may know a lot of people in the business over the course of 12 years, but you can hardly equate that to the thousands of child care providers across the country. What you have experienced is not proof of what actually happens.
August 1st, 2012, 10:02 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you're watching children in your home, operating as a childcare provider, and are unlicensed, you can get into a lot of trouble by not reporting any earned income for that tax year. I would assume teenagers who babysit on the weekends do not report earned income for taxes, but an adult who is a childcare provider, nanny or the like has to report earned income once it's a certain amount (which is different for every state). I believe in my home state it's $1,000 a year. So if you are over 18 and are making that much in a year as a home business then you must report it.
GSLynn likes this.
August 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
Looking at this quote, like I said previously, looks pretty obvious that you are trying to say this about me by using YOU after you had quoted me. I'll give you that you said more likely than not, but clearly we all knows that means you are implying that is the case, which is entirely false.

As for being upset with you, , don't flatter yourself. I know what I have paid. I was merely pointing it out to you since you seemed to question it.

Sure, you may know a lot of people in the business over the course of 12 years, but you can hardly equate that to the thousands of child care providers across the country. What you have experienced is not proof of what actually happens.
I apologize. That was "generally" speaking, as in "YOU" out there reading it as a whole of people, not one person. I should have quoted (General) in parenthesis. Now I see why you thought I meant you specifically.

I can assure you that I know plenty of people nationwide and a LOT of them are through various child care forums where most will admit to NOT paying even when they tell family/friends at home they are paying. Without being required to give receipts, having sign-in sheets, and with the fact most homes get paid in cash? Yeah, it's a safe bet that MOST of them do not pay into taxes. There are no records of them getting income. Why would they go out of their way to add self-employment income to their taxes when they don't have to? If you (personally) do it, that's great. But that is not the norm. Even honest hard-working people sometimes fail to report everything they're supposed to. Not saying that I would tattle to the IRS if a person didn't, since I know they practically rape us in taxes and spend it like mad, but I don't like when people lie about that stuff.

August 4th, 2012, 10:22 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. If this country wasn't in such a financial state I would be all for paid time off. But as it stands, I can't say hey let's pay parents, myself included, to stay home for a year off of tax payer dollars. If it were a case that it's unpaid by tax dollars or paid for by companies, and parents had their job secure, I'd be all over it. I'd be happy knowing that I just have a stable job to go back to after a year off. Getting paid would be nice, but not something I would expect.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

July 8th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Innogen's Avatar Regular
The 55% pay is up to a maximum insurable amount of $47,400 and not just 55% of whatever you make. Therefore, if you make more than 47,400, your EI is limited to the 47,400 threshhold.
July 9th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
All I can say is having a year of paid mat-leave (and in my case, 14 weeks of paid sick leave prior to birth) was a god-send. The benefit of spending the first year with my child is something I am grateful for. The benefit of being able to go off work early to look after myself, without an immense financial worry was such a relief. Spending my first year with my child was irreplaceable, and I think our country is raising better children because of it (this is only my opinion). Also, in the office I have worked in, Mat-leave temps have ended up working out so well, that my employer has created jobs to keep them on after the mat-leave employee comes back (that's actually how I got my job there!)

I know I can't speak for my country as a whole, but I would like to think that the majority of us are quite ok with looking after one another. When you've paid this tax rate you're whole working life, it's not such a shock. I can imagine starting it in a country that has never had a system like ours before would be nearly impossible though.

All I know is that there's very few people complaining about how our taxes look after our own people.

I don't mean this to be rude at all, but honestly, when I look at the American system of healthcare, mat-leave, etc, I feel sad for you guys. It makes me even more appreciative of what I have here in Canada.
plan4fate likes this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search