Should it be legal to own dangerous exotic pets?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frackel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2012, 09:11 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Big cats, primates, venemous (sp) reptiles/amphibians. Should they be legal to own?
July 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Yes, provided certain restrictions or provisions are put into place.

It's entirely possible to care for such animals(and there are countless that need cared for right now) in a safe and humane(to all involved) manner. Tons of people manage just peachy.

Is the average joe able to take on such a responsibility? Probably not. This sort of topic is situational, imo.

Some of the laws restricting ownership are important, I will give you that. You don't want someone who doesn't know what the hell they are doing having possession of such a creature-for all kinds of reasons. Not the least of which would be the safety of other humans, and the animal itself. But sometimes the laws in place, and what constitutes exotic or dangerous, are kinda lame, too. So, again, situational.

If I had the ability and means to care for an otherwise homeless exotic creature, I would hate for someone to say "no you can't....because I said so". Pffft. Because I said so isn't usually a very good reason. Sometimes that's what laws amount to, because someone said so. They don't take situational anything into consideration. While I might understand why in many cases, I don't understand in them all. I also don't always support even those I understand.

I met someone a long time ago who rescues and rehomes exotic and dangerous animals(including pets often labeled as dangerous breeds, despite proof otherwise). Mind you he does this of his own accord, his own financial backing, etc... He has staff, he has the knowledge, he has the finances, he has the ability, and he has the room to help so very many creatures. Yet he's restricted, has been scrutinized to the highest degree(ok this, I do understand, as does he, it makes perfect sense, for safety reasons), and generally gets treated pretty ****** simply because he wants to help others. I should probably also state this man lives on his own very large estate, so we're not talking some dude raising exotic creatures in mom's suburban basement here. He had a few animals removed from his care about a year ago now, temporarily, because of some loud mouthed know it all mother who was thinking of the children(don't they all say that?). The poor things were separated from the only family they've ever known, put in strange facilities with strange handlers-not even caregivers, and held there for months. They're now back with him, and all is well but good god the process was ridiculous and could have killed them. That's no better than some of the instances of children being removed from the care of their parents without first investigating. Sometimes the act first, question later approach is ******.

I'm all for checking on people, making sure things are done right, keeping tabs on the creatures and all who care for them. I'm not fond of "no, because I said so", though.
Linzie likes this.
July 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think laws need to be written very carefully for this. The way some laws are written around here it is illegal to own even hamsters or gerbils. I also have no problem with people having to get permits for their animals. You have to register your horse, dog, cat, etc.. why should someone get to have a million monkeys without any permit or way to keep track of these animals should they escape.

If you have a problem with getting a permit, or license, then you are not a responsible pet keeper. Other than that, yes people should be able to own whatever they want.

July 25th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
Yes, provided certain restrictions or provisions are put into place.

It's entirely possible to care for such animals(and there are countless that need cared for right now) in a safe and humane(to all involved) manner. Tons of people manage just peachy.

Is the average joe able to take on such a responsibility? Probably not. This sort of topic is situational, imo.

Some of the laws restricting ownership are important, I will give you that. You don't want someone who doesn't know what the hell they are doing having possession of such a creature-for all kinds of reasons. Not the least of which would be the safety of other humans, and the animal itself. But sometimes the laws in place, and what constitutes exotic or dangerous, are kinda lame, too. So, again, situational.

If I had the ability and means to care for an otherwise homeless exotic creature, I would hate for someone to say "no you can't....because I said so". Pffft. Because I said so isn't usually a very good reason. Sometimes that's what laws amount to, because someone said so. They don't take situational anything into consideration. While I might understand why in many cases, I don't understand in them all. I also don't always support even those I understand.

I met someone a long time ago who rescues and rehomes exotic and dangerous animals(including pets often labeled as dangerous breeds, despite proof otherwise). Mind you he does this of his own accord, his own financial backing, etc... He has staff, he has the knowledge, he has the finances, he has the ability, and he has the room to help so very many creatures. Yet he's restricted, has been scrutinized to the highest degree(ok this, I do understand, as does he, it makes perfect sense, for safety reasons), and generally gets treated pretty ****** simply because he wants to help others. I should probably also state this man lives on his own very large estate, so we're not talking some dude raising exotic creatures in mom's suburban basement here. He had a few animals removed from his care about a year ago now, temporarily, because of some loud mouthed know it all mother who was thinking of the children(don't they all say that?). The poor things were separated from the only family they've ever known, put in strange facilities with strange handlers-not even caregivers, and held there for months. They're now back with him, and all is well but good god the process was ridiculous and could have killed them. That's no better than some of the instances of children being removed from the care of their parents without first investigating. Sometimes the act first, question later approach is ******.

I'm all for checking on people, making sure things are done right, keeping tabs on the creatures and all who care for them. I'm not fond of "no, because I said so", though.

I agree with this 100% As long as all the needs of the animal are provided for (space, food, care, proper handling, etc, and protection is in place ensuring the animal won't get out then yes it should be legal.

July 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
I think laws need to be written very carefully for this. The way some laws are written around here it is illegal to own even hamsters or gerbils. I also have no problem with people having to get permits for their animals. You have to register your horse, dog, cat, etc.. why should someone get to have a million monkeys without any permit or way to keep track of these animals should they escape.

If you have a problem with getting a permit, or license, then you are not a responsible pet keeper. Other than that, yes people should be able to own whatever they want.
I'm with Beth on this one.

In my town (or suburb) cats have to be registered with a license, wear a rabies tag.. and they aren't allowed outside off leash. Dogs too. But yet Reme has a huge nasty lizard that if it got out wouldn't think twice about chewing on you and needs no license. (I can't remember what kind of lizard it is.. but it's very large, and likes to bite)
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
July 25th, 2012, 06:21 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they should but there needs to be some strict rules about it. I was watching something about dangerous exotic pet ownership in the US (this film was done in 2005 or something so awhile ago) and how many let the pets go, like cougars and Mt. lions, and they end up in the neighborhoods woods or backyards. Snakes too were a big problem in Florida.
July 25th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Stricter laws, just like with any other topic, isn't going to prevent people from letting animals they can no longer(or simply choose to no longer, usually the case) care for go free in the wild. Most of the time those people don't get caught anyway, in fact it's a rarity unless the animal is extremely exotic and people know you've got the only one for X miles around.

The laws are simply there to tell enforcement agencies what to do when/if something happens. They do very little, if anything to prevent anything tragic from happening.

I do think, as I said, things need to be in place. But I don't believe adding even more strict rules/laws than what we've already got is the answer. Actually, I know it's not the answer. Because it won't accomplish anything. I think taking a good long hard look at what we've got, and perhaps modifying it to be more situational, is a good start, though. Adding in amendments that take into account various situations is probably a much better solution than simply making the laws more strict or worse adding in more. Accountability is very important, but it's important on all sides. There are agencies and such that are responsible for making certain these laws are not just being followed by the owners but also upheld by the justice system when things go awry. Those agencies are failing miserably, imo. There is no real accountability on their part. There could be any number of reasons why, but my guess is it boils down to money. No one has the money to fund such a system so that we can put one in place that will protect not only use humans but also the animals we share this planet with. What they do fund, is likely wasted on stupid crap.

I'm all for accountability on the part of the owners and any agency/organization put into place for the health, safety and well being of all involved. I just don't want to hear it's "just because", boils my blood to no end. Little jimmy down the road can't possibly care for an exotic or dangerous animals so that means Mr. Jones who's actually got he knowledge, skill and resources to do so, can't either. That's just poppycock.

We have george, our lil snapping turtle babe, because someone decided they could no longer care for him. They don't naturally live where we found him, in fact, no turtles do. He very easily could have, and would have, been lunch for some other creature. He's thriving here though, and doing just fabulous. Had I not had some knowledge on what he is and how to care for him, it would have been irresponsible for me to bring him into my home. Though he's not considered an exotic pet here, in some places snappers actually are. I owned a sweet little iguana girl, Satan, for almost 15 years before she passed away. She only did so because she got sick and nothing I or the vet could do, would save her, so we let her go to a better place. She's considered exotic in the city I live in now. Why? She's not exotic nor difficult to raise when you have the knowledge. Yeah I realize she's not a cat, but I also wasn't an idiot-I prefer to think most people aren't. Sometimes some of the laws treat everyone as if they are idiots. I don't like that. So I vote for more situational amendments made to existing laws and any they decide to add in later. I don't buy the whole "no because I said so" approach as being all that effective.
July 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM
foxfire_ga79
How have I not answered this already?? lol wow.

So, yes. There should be strict licensing and supervision, but I see no reason to deny animal ownership to people capable of providing their care. State laws are so wacky and inconsistent anyway. In Georgia I cannot own as a pet an animal that is strictly a carnivore, and foxes are listed as examples of this(even though they are omnivores.) THEREFORE, I'm not allowed to own a Fennec fox, even though it's not actually a fox, because the word "fox" is in its name. It's not a carnivore because it does eat fruit and veggies along with its bugs, and it's not the same genus as a real fox because it's a vulpus true foxes are canids, but I can't have one. BUT, all I have to do is move one state over and live in Florida, then I can own a Fennec. Where I live is apparently an acceptable factor in determining if I'm fit to own an undomesticated animal.
Yea, I love that logic. There's more though. If I want to own a ferret, it has to be sterilized. Ok, that's cool. If it escapes, at least it won't be capable of breeding. But in Georgia, even if it's sterilized, I cannot own a sugar glider, Quaker parot, or even a little hedgehog! Because you know, them hedgehogs are really dangerous quarter-pound critters. I'd hate to see what carnage would happen if I had a pet hedgehog escape from me.
Oy.

But anyway. For the people that want to be allowed to own the big things that can be dangerous, I'm still Ok with that. There was someone that had big cats not too far from our old house (we've recently moved) and we could hear them roaring in the evenings at dinner time. None ever got out, and I'm sure the owners do truly enjoy having them. Large animals are a LOT of work, only people who truly want them will have them. I own horses and I can tell you that if I didn't absolutely love them and WANT to care for them, I so would no t spend my time in all that goes into caring for them.
Nobody wakes up one day and says "hhmm, I think I'll go get a pet lion" and then just lets it wander around like a stray dog they got sick of. I believe the majority of people who seek these animals are dedicated to them.
I think the states could and should regulate how strong fences need to be, how many square feet or acres per animal must be provided, under what conditions the animals are allowed out of their cages, and allow people to have an interact with the animals they truly love.
I am so glad I'm allowed to have my dogs and horses. I love them so much and enjoy their companionship so much. I would hate to have the same desire to have the companionship of an animal I'm not allowed to own.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search