Smokers' Rights

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Also just because doctors think, or say, someone is in great health doesn't mean jack, lol. When I was smoking I was in relatively perfect health myself-according to doctors. I say relatively because there really is no such thing, imo. You never know when something can creep up.
My dad was in perfect health until the day he went loco and they figured out it was because he had cancer(despite regular screenings, taking care of himself, preventative measures, etc...). Him going off the deep end is what signaled something was off. Six months later we were burying him. So please don't give me the "oh he smokes but he's in great health" shpeal. It's a load of manure. I used to smoke, and used to hear "you're in great health" too. I knew better. You're putting a poison in your body by smoking, and you can't deny that fact. We do it all the time, so I'm not just saying smoking is the most toxic thing one can do. I say if you wanna smoke, feel free. But don't be ignorant about the truths revolving around it. Accept what you're doing is unhealthy, stinky, and likely an annoyance to others around you.
July 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzMommaD View Post
You miss my point. Im not saying its healthy and yes I have family members with severe medical problems including myself. However, she clearly made major changes (or so as stated in the article) by buying new clothes, not smoking at certain times, avoiding her husband in the mornings (which if you ask me is pretty pathetic and kind of sad that that would be suggested to someone). But clearly she made efforts. Would you demand someone was fired because they eat food with onions in it, or have a medical disorder that causes them to have some strange odor? I am not saying I agree that its ok she smoke and sit and stink up a room. But at the same time, how many people in this world smoke and you never even notice? My husband smokes a pack a day and no one we know or meet even can tell because he never stinks of smoke and even his medical providers are taken by complete shock my how healthy he is and that he has no signs of ever being a smoker. But yes, on the other hand rules are rules, but she clearly was making an effort (again, as stated on the article)

Medical providers are taken by complete shock that your husband smokes? HAHAHAHAH! I highly doubt that. They probably leave the room and roll their eyes. You must have never worked closely with docs before.

No signs of being a smoker? Isn't lighting a cigarette and bringing it to your mouth and inhaling a pretty clear sign of being a smoker?

Look, everyone always knows someone who smokes for 203920939 years and never gets cancer. Anecdotal stories don't always work the best in debates.
HappyHippy and K.A.T like this.
July 31st, 2012, 01:14 PM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
I don't understand why you all have to be so blatantly rude to ME about MY opinion and what I say. This is a debate is it not? We are all allowed to have our own ideas. I never said what she was doing was a good thing, but i DO feel that the situation is getting out of hand and has become a bit funny. Notice, you never read in the news about someone being fired and suing over their perfume right? And for you information miss Hey..Where's Perry, what does assuming make out of you and me? Because instead of assuming the way you do heres a hit for you, I went to med school to be a nurse. So im no idiot. And yes, when we sit in a room with a doctor and they ask his health questions and such, and its a new provider, he tells them he smoked and they go wide eyed and say things such as, "are you kidding? What did you just start this past month or something?" That AND there are such things called E-cigarettes now too. I think everyone on here is looking at this the wrong way. This woman was HIRED for the job she (im sure) saw in the rules and policies about the odors and smoking and such. The EMPLOYER hired her and im SURE they could tell she smoked, as she didnt try to hide it. They ALLOWED her to begin working for them despite the fact that she was a smoker, and when they decided it was convenient to put the leave on her she fought back by trying to cut back so she wouldnt smell like smoke as much,then they fired her. Im not saying what she did was right or wrong for that matter. But the employer is ALSO to blame because they allowed her to start employment fully knowing she smokes.

July 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
I don't understand why you all have to be so blatantly rude to ME about MY opinion and what I say. This is a debate is it not? We are all allowed to have our own ideas. I never said what she was doing was a good thing, but i DO feel that the situation is getting out of hand and has become a bit funny. Notice, you never read in the news about someone being fired and suing over their perfume right? And for you information miss Hey..Where's Perry, what does assuming make out of you and me? Because instead of assuming the way you do heres a hit for you, I went to med school to be a nurse. So im no idiot. And yes, when we sit in a room with a doctor and they ask his health questions and such, and its a new provider, he tells them he smoked and they go wide eyed and say things such as, "are you kidding? What did you just start this past month or something?" That AND there are such things called E-cigarettes now too. I think everyone on here is looking at this the wrong way. This woman was HIRED for the job she (im sure) saw in the rules and policies about the odors and smoking and such. The EMPLOYER hired her and im SURE they could tell she smoked, as she didnt try to hide it. They ALLOWED her to begin working for them despite the fact that she was a smoker, and when they decided it was convenient to put the leave on her she fought back by trying to cut back so she wouldnt smell like smoke as much,then they fired her. Im not saying what she did was right or wrong for that matter. But the employer is ALSO to blame because they allowed her to start employment fully knowing she smokes.

So you're telling me that you took out $100,000+ in loans to go to med school to become a nurse? I don't know if you live somewhere else and med school means something different but I read that as medical school. As in, becoming an medical doctor. I also said you must have not worked closely with docs before, you going to school for nursing doesn't = that you have worked closely with docs. I know people in nursing school right now and don't work closely with docs. Again, as for the doctors being "shocked", they probably acted that way because a lot of patients like that sort of attention. I highly highly doubt they went into the break room and talked about their "shocking" patient.. your husband... who smokes. They are most likely talking about an actual shocking patient that came in with a fork lodged in their sigmoid colon.
HappyHippy likes this.
July 31st, 2012, 03:03 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You don't normally see news stories about this, either. The difference with perfume is the smell doesn't stay on you as long. It's easy for people to just not put perfume on in the morning before work, and then put it on at night or on the weekends if they choose. If someone was told they couldn't wear perfume and continued anyway, after multiple warnings, I would fire them.

As far the employer hiring her in the first place, they probably gave her the benefit of the doubt that she would be able to rein in the stink. Companies have probationary periods just for this kind of stuff.
MzzMommaD likes this.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
July 31st, 2012, 04:33 PM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
So you're telling me that you took out $100,000+ in loans to go to med school to become a nurse? I don't know if you live somewhere else and med school means something different but I read that as medical school. As in, becoming an medical doctor. I also said you must have not worked closely with docs before, you going to school for nursing doesn't = that you have worked closely with docs. I know people in nursing school right now and don't work closely with docs. Again, as for the doctors being "shocked", they probably acted that way because a lot of patients like that sort of attention. I highly highly doubt they went into the break room and talked about their "shocking" patient.. your husband... who smokes. They are most likely talking about an actual shocking patient that came in with a fork lodged in their sigmoid colon.
Ok now you are just being rude. And no not MEDICAL SCHOOL like the hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can find schools that cost much less. And I never got the chance to complete my program because of an abusive ex and had to flee the state. And there is such thing as doctors having genuine surprise of something they learn about a new patient, so i dont know what your problem is. This debate is NOT about me or my husband so stop making it so, its about this woman and I was sharing my opinion and giving a simple example. And I have worked closely with medical professionals miss know it all. I created the power point training materials for the entire santa fe county school board for the pregnant teens programs back in 2008. I also am (and not bragging just giving an example of the fact that im not a stubborn uneducated individual as you seem to believe i may be) a medical miracle myself. I was born when i was 4 1/2 months developed with every drug in my system and have survived quite a few surgical errors that have left me dependent on mechanical devices for the rest of my life whether i like it or not.

July 31st, 2012, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Ok now you are just being rude. And no not MEDICAL SCHOOL like the hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can find schools that cost much less. And I never got the chance to complete my program because of an abusive ex and had to flee the state. And there is such thing as doctors having genuine surprise of something they learn about a new patient, so i dont know what your problem is. This debate is NOT about me or my husband so stop making it so, its about this woman and I was sharing my opinion and giving a simple example. And I have worked closely with medical professionals miss know it all. I created the power point training materials for the entire santa fe county school board for the pregnant teens programs back in 2008. I also am (and not bragging just giving an example of the fact that im not a stubborn uneducated individual as you seem to believe i may be) a medical miracle myself. I was born when i was 4 1/2 months developed with every drug in my system and have survived quite a few surgical errors that have left me dependent on mechanical devices for the rest of my life whether i like it or not.
You are making this way too easy but I will go ahead and drop it. Have a good night.
July 31st, 2012, 08:53 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Topics get turned personal when we allow them to do so, aka, add in personal anecdotal..anything. You put it out there, it's up for debate. Don't like it, don't say it. That's sorta how debates work. Anything and everything we put here on these pages, is up for a challenge, discussion, or whatever else have you. It's character building, I promise you. Every single person here, and tons not, have had their **** dragged through the mud at one point or another, I'm sure. Stick around a while and you'll learn what a real debate actually is. These ladies are pretty **** good at it, actually. We rarely all see eye to eye on anything, but if nothing else, the folks here can give you a heck of a lot to think about. Be it your own personal opinions, or what you should and should not bring to a debate table.

Back to the topic though..
I am quite sure you're right that the employer could smell she smoked the day she got the job. I bet you she didn't even wear scrubs to her interview. She may have even been wearing jewelry not normally permitted or not been up to date on whatever vaccines she needs to be up to date on to work there. But you see, that's what the rules we're given at the time employment begins, are for. That first day, doesn't count. What you do at home(provided it doesn't fall into your contract) doesn't count. What you haven't yet accomplished to actually start work, doesn't count. It starts counting when you actually work there-unless your contract has some other arbitrary date listed for such things. So this lady's smoking on her own time, isn't really being called into question. It's her ability to follow rules set forth by her employer, and when she doesn't, her ability to comply to warnings given after. She's actually pretty lucky she got warnings at all. Because technically, she didn't HAVE to get them. The employer could have fired her right on the spot then and there. Though most probably wouldn't, I'm sure some would.

You don't usually see stories like this on the news because folks who lose their jobs over idiotic stuff like this, caused by their own ignorant ways, are usually kinda more embarrassed as well as pissed when they lose their job. Not exactly a bragging point for most people, especially these days when the employment rate has tanked. It's not the employers fault she can't follow rules. She brought the firing on herself and only has herself to blame. If you think it doesn't happen very often, you're fooling yourself. It does, quite often. Employers fire people for seemingly small and petty(though they really aren't always so) things all the time. They have that right. And you as an employee are the one who gave them that right. You signed the I wills and I will nots, you agreed to abide by them. You break them and I'm not going to feel sorry for you when you get thrown out on your *** at the end of the day. I just can't, not when someone knowingly does something stupid. Personally, I believe she did something even more than just a little stupid, but my opinion isn't what matters, what matters is the pretty little contract she signed.

It shouldn't need to be said, but just in case....yous are general

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search