The Rapex

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Controversy in South Africa over device to snare rapists - World - smh.com.au

So good idea? or not?

IMO, in theory its GREAT!! However I worry about the violence that would be taken out on women who used this by their attackers.

July 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Super Mommy
i think this is awesome and would serve them right for trying to rape someone......and in the article i think it said it would hrut so bad it would a mostly immediately leave the rapists from being able to move letting the victim be able to move.
An Angel (Miscarried July 17, 2006)
Trinity(6)
Tatum(4)
Baby BOY!!!!(due Dec. 21, 2013)

July 27th, 2012, 04:52 PM
foxfire_ga79
There's a part of me that wants to be happy about this. I guess it's a primal "he'll get what he deserves" reaction on my part. But there are flaws with this. Big ones.
First of all, there are women who have no problem accusing a man of rape even if it never happened. What's to stop that same kind of woman from using this thing and "luring" a man into what he thinks is consensual sex? People can be pretty mean to each other when seeking revenge.
That's really not even my big argument. I'm sure most women who buy these things aren't thinking of doing that. To me the bad part is that it doesn't even prevent the rape. The protection factor doesn't even kick in until the man is inside her. He has to penetrate to get trapped by this thing. By then the woman has already been subdued and had clothing removed, and penetrated. That means it's already rape. The only thing this devise is stopping is ejaculation, which isn't even necessary for it to be called rape. The woman is still a rape victim.

Emotionally I feel it would serve a rapist right to get stuck in one of those. But I don't think that's really the best way to go. But I don't have any insight on what the answer is either, so maybe I don't get to say what the answer isn't. I dunno on this one.
July 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ I do agree with the above but at the same time women and girls still need something to help protect them. Yes they are still being raped, but atleast it's shorter than when not using one.
July 27th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure about this. Wouldn't a woman have to wear it inside her pretty much constantly for it to be effective? You don't exactly think, "Gosh I think I'm going to get raped today better put in my Rapex." You'd have to wear it everyday. I'm not sure that's even healthy.

Besides that, you have to worry about rapists lashing out and hurting their victims even worse. So now not only have they been raped, but possibly beaten or killed as well.

Then take into account the possibility of crazy psycho women who could use them to frame and hurt men who haven't raped anybody.

That article is from 2005 and according to wikipedia they still aren't available for purchase so my guess is most people had a problem with it.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
July 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenoj View Post
I'm not sure about this. Wouldn't a woman have to wear it inside her pretty much constantly for it to be effective? You don't exactly think, "Gosh I think I'm going to get raped today better put in my Rapex." You'd have to wear it everyday. I'm not sure that's even healthy.

Besides that, you have to worry about rapists lashing out and hurting their victims even worse. So now not only have they been raped, but possibly beaten or killed as well.

Then take into account the possibility of crazy psycho women who could use them to frame and hurt men who haven't raped anybody.

That article is from 2005 and according to wikipedia they still aren't available for purchase so my guess is most people had a problem with it.
If I remember correctly, the area where this was developed for in Africa girls going to school were getting raped on a daily basis. That is why this was developed (this is not new, it's been around for a few years). There is a documentary about it, not the Rapex per se, but about the area of Africa. Men would come out of the bushes while they walked to the school, which is another reason why many girls do not attend school.

ETA: Doing some looking I don't know if this Rapex is the same as the Rape-aXe made in 2005.

Last edited by HappyHippy; July 27th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
July 30th, 2012, 12:56 PM
foxfire_ga79
What if it's a gang rape? Then the Rape Axe got used on the first guy, and the other guys are super pissed off now and are going to punish the woman extra on behalf of their buddy.
And if men are so determined to rape a woman and they know something like this exists, they'll probably just feel for it first and pull it out if they find it, then rape her.
I guess it could be seen as a step in the right direction, especially if just 1 rapist gets caught by this thing, but it's still such a tiny step. Women need much more than this in an area of the world where rape is such a prevalent problem.
July 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
foxfire_ga79
lol that's the part I do think is good. The small satisfaction of knowing someone was about to do something very horrible, but something very horrible happened to him instead. I think a lot of people could agree with that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search