Log In Sign Up

One-Way Tolerance


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree81Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #41  
July 30th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3,557
I don't doubt hate crimes against gays exist, but that's not what CFA is advocating. Until it is they aren't comparable to the KKK.
__________________

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
Reply With Quote
  #42  
July 31st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
And another thing, people don't commit suicide because of what other people do. Most bullied kids will never commit suicide. Most people do not consider suicide as an option to escape their problems. The people that do consider suicide as an option have something wrong like depression or some other problem that can and should be dealt with. I know this because I've been there. I've been the kid that was bullied for reasons beyond my control and when I was 12 I tried to kill myself. My bullies didn't make me take all those pills. My depression did. When that was dealt with, the bullies at school were still asshats, but I didn't feel like I needed to die to escape.
You simply cannot put the burden of responsibility of one person's suicide on another person. Being a douche doesn't make a person responsible for anyone else's actions.

Why Do People Commit Suicide ? - Depression & Suicide FAQ

While it is true that a person who commits suicide is mentally ill, constant abuse & torture can cause a perfectly sane person to suffer from severe depression. To be constantly told your an abomination & a sinner. That you are wrong for being you. To live with contant rejection from society can cause someone to become very depressed. The brain stops making the chemicals they need to think clearly.

To say that a the 12 year old I knowof, who commited suicide because she was severely bullied & astrocized at school would have done it anyway is preposturous. And allows bullies to continue to abuse.
*Leslie* and K.A.T like this.
__________________
Kris

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
Reply With Quote
  #43  
July 31st, 2012, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,149
--
beck12 likes this.

Last edited by cybele; September 29th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
July 31st, 2012, 02:52 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3,557
Why homosexuals commit suicide is kind of irrelevant to chick fil a though, right? I mean it's not chick fil a that's raping people to try and fix them or bullying kids at school. In fact, if they are as Christian as they say they would be strongly against anything like that. Most Christians don't believe in stoning people for their sins anymore.
Tammyjh likes this.
__________________

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
Reply With Quote
  #45  
August 1st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,012
It's irrelevant to Chic-Fil-A but someone brought it up & their information wasn't entirely accurate so I felt the need to respond. No one said Chic-Fil-A condoned any of that
beck12 likes this.
__________________
Kris

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
Reply With Quote
  #46  
August 2nd, 2012, 04:54 AM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,391
I hate that the Christian faith is bashed because we have beliefs that go against modern society. I have friends that are gay but I do not support gay relationships or gay marriage. It goes against my beliefs. I don't hate gay people I just don't support the lifestyle.

I support Chik-Fil-A standing up for what they believe. I do not think, though, that anyone can change a gay person straight. I do believe that gay people were born gay just as straight people are born straight. It was a cross for them to bear and I do believe that gay people were meant to be celibate.

Last edited by bellasky; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
August 2nd, 2012, 05:58 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasky View Post
I hate that the Christian faith is bashed because we have beliefs that go against modern society. I have friends that are gay but I do not support gay relationships or gay marriage. It goes against my beliefs. I don't hate gay people I just don't support the lifestyle.

I support Chik-Fil-A standing up for what they believe. I do not think, though, that anyone can change a gay person straight. I do believe that gay people were born gay just as straight people are born straight. It was a cross for them to bear and I do believe that gay people were meant to be celibate.
Oh my! I almost don't know what to say.
First, my support of Chick Fil A has nothing to do with agreeing with Dan Cathy's stance on gay marriage but more to do with free speech. Unless CFA is breaking laws and practicing open discrimination to the public or their employees, its wrong for any politician to tell them they cannot come to their city/town/state.

Second, to the bold, you are entitled to your beliefs but I disagree with you whole heartedly.

As to the bashing, I think the loudmouths on both sides do their fair share of hate talk and neither side wants to really "listen" to what the other has to say or even have a civil or rational discussion.
K.A.T and MissLoki like this.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #48  
August 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
That makes my heart hurt I'm so thankful that the gays in my life are able to be loving, responsable parents and productive members of society. They are no different than me and my family.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #49  
August 2nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
That makes my heart hurt I'm so thankful that the gays in my life are able to be loving, responsable parents and productive members of society. They are no different than me and my family.
Who are you directing this to? Me or the poster above me?
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #50  
August 2nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver metro area
Posts: 2,988
This whole Chick-fil-a thing has been very facinating to me. Chick-fil-a offers great service to every single person they serve - and they serve everybody. I was there a few weeks ago and the nice polite young man that served us was gay - or so I thought he was - this was confirmed when his partner came in to join him on his lunch break. Many people are angry and unhappy people and so if they can come up with way to try and justify hate toward a certain company or group of people they will. Chick-fil-a as a company has a policy of respect, politeness, kindness and good service toward every single customer - that does not matter to haters. Most of the people I know who went to Chick-fil-a yesterday went not because they are against gay marriage but because they want to show support for freedom of opinions and stick to those bigoted mayors who think they can get away with promoting hate.
A lot of true colors have come out through this and a lot of people are noticing.

eta: we were there yesterday and the crowds were huge. Nobody was saying anything negative about any group of people. No petitions were being signed. no hate propaganda or hate groups. no negativity at all. The people waiting in line were friendly and patient. The workers were very patient and kind. Nothing negative at all. It really made me take a look at myself and I often respond to hate with anger - I saw firsthand how much more effective it is to respond to hate and prejudice with kindness - at least in some circumstances.
__________________


"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII

Last edited by AMDG; August 2nd, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
August 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
The Truth is out There
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,615
I was flipping through tv channels last night and saw Bill O'Reilly (of the O'Reilly Factor) was discussing Chik Fil A so I stopped to hear his thoughts.
He basically said it's okay to have your own beliefs and opinions, but be respectful. He then went on to say that everyone who is boycotting CFA should also boycott African-Americans and showed a clip of an African-American politician saying that gay marriage is wrong and marriage should only be for a man and a woman.
I'm not generally the biggest fan of Bill O'Reilly, but that did make me laugh.
As he said, no one will ever hear about this politician, and no one will ever point fingers at him.
__________________
~Brittany~



Reply With Quote
  #52  
August 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Who are you directing this to? Me or the poster above me?
Above you, where she said gays should be celibate and all that junk.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #53  
August 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
Above you, where she said gays should be celibate and all that junk.
I thought that was who you were talking to but as you posted right below mine, I asked to be sure. Yeah, a few of those comments made me as well.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #55  
August 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Darla,
Nothing wrong with being who you are.

The thing is that politicians are using CFA and homosexuality to supress free speech and I think most people were giving their support to free speech yesterday. As far as boycotts go, it doesn't bother me one way or the other and if one doesn't like the stance of a particular CEO, actor, etc.... and decides not to buy from their store, watch their tv show, buy their music, etc....I have no problems with that whatsoever. Same with protests. Peaceful protests are great and I support anyone's right to protest unless violence or breaking the law is involved. BUT for a mayor or any politician to tell a business that they are not welcome in the city or threaten them by saying "you had better stay away" because they do not like an opinion expressed by an individual(free speech), that is wrong. And if we are heading down the road of the govt. telling us what we can say and what we can think, then we have no free speech and it could be a very scary place that we all end up in.

Just remember, until a few months ago, President Obama was not a big supporter of same sex marriage and not a peep out of any of these politicians who are targeting CFA.
The Kimber likes this.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #56  
August 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver metro area
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Darla,


Just remember, until a few months ago, President Obama was not a big supporter of same sex marriage and not a peep out of any of these politicians who are targeting CFA.
Not only was he not a big supporter, he said something that was very similar to what the ceo of chick-fil-a said.
But, I agree with what you said - this is about free speech - this about not letting government officals getting away with saying things like - you are not welcome here if you do not agree with us - if your opinions do not match up with ours we will block you from our city.
This point was not lost on all homosexuals - many homosexuals value free speech as well and made a point of supporting it. They may boycott chick-fil-a on all other days - which is totally their right - but yesterday was about free speech.
__________________


"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
Reply With Quote
  #58  
August 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I have never heard anyone say "we don't buy anything Disney cuz they treat gays equal."
I have. A few in fact. I live in the buckle of the bible belt.


I choose not to patronize CFA not because I don't think the president should have said what he said, he has the right to say anything he wants. I don't go there because I will not have any of the money I spend going to support hate groups or to further a company with a track record for discriminating towards women.
__________________


"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
Reply With Quote
  #59  
August 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
[QUOTE=over.the.moon;26352745]There is a part of me that cheered when the Boston Mayor (I can't remember my own mayor's name, let alone a city I don't live in) said he was block CFA from opening stores there. But then my logical side (which used to sound like my dad but now sounds like wife-to-be), kicked and said "So, why shouldn't they be in Boston, exactly? Weren't you the one all bent out of shape when Scottsdale blocked Fasinations from opening up?", well yeah but that was different cause, um, ok it wasn't different at all not even a little bit. But if a town votes not to have certin business, shouldn't said business respect that vote? I mean, that's what anti-gay people say about certin states getting to ban gay marriage. Even if we don't get to vote on straight marriage (odd, hm?). But, maybe just some extra surprise health inspections. The difference is, in Boston, Chicago, etc... there was no vote on CFA. In each case it was one politician telling a business they are not welcome. If someone wants to make it a ballot issue, different story.

There are also pleanty of conservative politicians jumping and down screaming "Support CFA!! They support traditional marriage! Support them!". Huckabee and Rick...something (yeah I didn't pay close attention to him), were pushing everyone to go to CFA for their "Family Day". Which DP and I really wanted to go to and show we are family too. But were too tired at the end of the day. Not sure what the point is here. Anyone is welcome to eat at CFA. If they turn someone away or refuse to hire someone because of skin color, sexual preference, etc, THAT is discrimination. An opinion is still legal.

It's also not about what he said, it's about what his company does. Which is give money to anti-gay groups. At least one of which is considered a hate group. That's not me saying that. That's the Southern Poverty Law Center saying that (I'm trying to find the name of the group). He can say he farts glitter for all I care. I care about where his company is putting the money. No, I don't like what he says. But he can say it til the cows come home. He's a business man, he can't be completly unaware what he says might have consequense. Ever seen the McDonald corporation come out and start talking about gay marriage? Nope. Cause they like money. And they don't care who the people who give it to them have sex with. Again, donating $ to organizations is legal. Are these organizations operating legally? If so, I don't see any way that CFA should be shut down. You and I may not like who they donate to but there is no law prohibiting CFA from doing this.

Obama felt marraige was between a man and a woman but supported civil unions for gay peeps. Trust me, gay peeps have not been happy about that. But we were used to presidents saying that. Clinton signed DOMA (because you straight people need your marriages protected from the scary gays, apparently) and DADT (which was actually a step in a good direction because before gays got asked and then tossed). Obama did repeal DADT (and I watched him do it and cried, it'll be one of those, I remember where I was when, moments in my life) and you can serve openly now, and now DOMA might be overturned. And Obama has been the first president to come out and say he supports gay marriage. He grew and changed, lots of people do. Growth is good. He still thinks each state should decide on their own to allow it, which bugs me (and a lot of other gay people) because no state bans heterosexual marriage.Obama has come out to say he supports gay marriage because he is using it for votes. Odd how a few months after his opinion "evolves", news comes out that it will be part of a campaign platform. A week after the CFA fury erupts. Again, these same politicians who are upset over CFA are perfectly fine with borrowing money from China and donating to countries where women and homosexuals are treated worse than animals and in some instances murdered. But lets worry about CFA.

Oh and one last thing, people are saying "they asked and were shocked at the answer", the people who asked, were the Baptist Press. Here's the entire original article. LGBTQ groups have been advocating boycotting them for years. This isn't really news to us. It just took an awfuly long time for them to actually come out and say it. Cause ya know, gay money spends just like straight money. Not sure the point here either. I have no problems with boycotts.

Ok, real last thing, everyone talking about these gay PDAs going down. Where do you live? Cause I totally wanna come watch. I might see some teenagers groping each other, but I'm thinking grown adults here. Were are the gays (and straights) rubbing up against each other in public at? Cause it at in my town and I feel like I'm missing out.I haven't seen many either however, my daughter and her ex boyfriend were kicked out of the high school dance for blatant PDA. Fortunately for both of them(and myself), I was not there. [/QUOTE]
My anwers are in blue
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; August 2nd, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
August 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by over.the.moon View Post
There is a part of me that cheered when the Boston Mayor (I can't remember my own mayor's name, let alone a city I don't live in) said he was block CFA from opening stores there. But then my logical side (which used to sound like my dad but now sounds like wife-to-be), kicked and said "So, why shouldn't they be in Boston, exactly? Weren't you the one all bent out of shape when Scottsdale blocked Fasinations from opening up?", well yeah but that was different cause, um, ok it wasn't different at all not even a little bit. But if a town votes not to have certin business, shouldn't said business respect that vote? I mean, that's what anti-gay people say about certin states getting to ban gay marriage. Even if we don't get to vote on straight marriage (odd, hm?). But, maybe just some extra surprise health inspections.

There are also pleanty of conservative politicians jumping and down screaming "Support CFA!! They support traditional marriage! Support them!". Huckabee and Rick...something (yeah I didn't pay close attention to him), were pushing everyone to go to CFA for their "Family Day". Which DP and I really wanted to go to and show we are family too. But were too tired at the end of the day.

It's also not about what he said, it's about what his company does. Which is give money to anti-gay groups. At least one of which is considered a hate group. That's not me saying that. That's the Southern Poverty Law Center saying that (I'm trying to find the name of the group). He can say he farts glitter for all I care. I care about where his company is putting the money. No, I don't like what he says. But he can say it til the cows come home. He's a business man, he can't be completly unaware what he says might have consequense. Ever seen the McDonald corporation come out and start talking about gay marriage? Nope. Cause they like money. And they don't care who the people who give it to them have sex with.

Obama felt marraige was between a man and a woman but supported civil unions for gay peeps. Trust me, gay peeps have not been happy about that. But we were used to presidents saying that. Clinton signed DOMA (because you straight people need your marriages protected from the scary gays, apparently) and DADT (which was actually a step in a good direction because before gays got asked and then tossed). Obama did repeal DADT (and I watched him do it and cried, it'll be one of those, I remember where I was when, moments in my life) and you can serve openly now, and now DOMA might be overturned. And Obama has been the first president to come out and say he supports gay marriage. He grew and changed, lots of people do. Growth is good. He still thinks each state should decide on their own to allow it, which bugs me (and a lot of other gay people) because no state bans heterosexual marriage.

Oh and one last thing, people are saying "they asked and were shocked at the answer", the people who asked, were the Baptist Press. Here's the entire original article. LGBTQ groups have been advocating boycotting them for years. This isn't really news to us. It just took an awfuly long time for them to actually come out and say it. Cause ya know, gay money spends just like straight money.

Ok, real last thing, everyone talking about these gay PDAs going down. Where do you live? Cause I totally wanna come watch. I might see some teenagers groping each other, but I'm thinking grown adults here. Were are the gays (and straights) rubbing up against each other in public at? Cause it at in my town and I feel like I'm missing out.
Maybe Las Vegas? I don't know, I have gays in my family and friends and never seen them gropping eachother or gettin' down. No more so than any straight couple in public (which I've also not see over the top PDA).

Europe on the other hand is a little more relaxed about it. And Iceland, Iceland LOVES gays, seriously, they do. Iceland gay travel guide - Gayice.is - gayice.is
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0