Log In Sign Up

One-Way Tolerance


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree81Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 28th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Linzie's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 466
Send a message via MSN to Linzie Send a message via Skype™ to Linzie
The recent hoopla over Chick-Fil-A supporting traditional marriage, and the blacklash it has received, has got me thinking.

The USA supports freedom of speech, religion, etc, etc. We preach tolerance and acceptance of ALL lifestyles. BUT when someone opposes, using Chick-Fil-A as an example, same-sex marriage, THEY aren't tolerated for their religion and beliefs. Chick-Fil-A has not hidden the fact that they are a Christian based company. They are closed on Sundays. The Christian faith has always been transparent in the belief that homosexuality is a sin. So, of course, the CEO of the company is going to go with his faith. So of course the company has donated money to conservative parties, and anti-gay/anti same-sex marriage stuff.

BUT, does Chick-Fil-A spout anti-gay propoganda? Do they refuse to employ or serve gay customers? My guess is no.

I respect your right under this country's laws to love who you want, so please respect MY RIGHT to uphold my religion and think it's wrong. That doesn't happen. If you are for the traditional values, and against the new age agenda, the you are wrong and must be boycotted.

I understand everyone has their right to free speech, these people to have their right to protest Chick-Fil-A, same as Westboro Baptist Church has their right to picket funerals.

HOWEVER. Chick-Fil-A has not harmed anyone. They don't picket funerals, they don't spout propoganda except to "Eet mor Chikin". They serve and employ everyone regardless of anything, as long as they have the money to pay for their meal.

So why don't they fall under the umbrella of tolerance?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 29th, 2012, 07:19 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,613
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I don't care about their opinion. I care that they support anti-gay groups. Even then, it's their right as a company (even if I don't agree with it) but I don't have to spend my there.
SusieQ2 likes this.
__________________

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 29th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
If one doesn't like it, they don't have to eat there. Its that simple.

The controversy over Chick Fil A is hypocrital and political if you ask me. Politicians are spouting off on how they don't want Chick Fil A in their city but we never hear how we need to stop buying things or borrowing money from China where you basically have to hide if you are a homosexual.
Gay life in China is legal but remains hidden - USATODAY.com
Quote:
For the gay community, China today is "like the USA in the 1960s and 1970s,"
says Wei Xiaogang of Beijing, who runs the Queercomrades.com site.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #4  
July 29th, 2012, 08:56 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,601
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Tolerance works both ways, and sometimes in cases like this, there is no room for being a bigger person.

They think that I'm an abomination and they support groups that would like to strip me of my rights, the few that I do have (I'm bi, but have chosen a straight lifestyle as I feel there's more to my life than sexual attraction). So in return I refuse to support their company financially. In a small way, I have made it a little bit harder for them to financially support an anti gay group.

I don't hate them, I just do not agree what so ever with their opinions. And in return I will not go out of my way to purchase their food (no matter how good it is), and since the closet one is 2 hours away, it would be out of my way. I do not support any group if I can help it that promotes and supports hate. And I'd most certainly never purchase another item from China again if it was feasible.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
Polypectomy - 08/21/14 Laproscopy - 12/05/2014
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Cycle 3: Lap on cd 2 - Femara cd 3-7 - Testing Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
  #5  
July 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
The demands for boycotts go both ways, just not on a political level. As a Christian I'm apparently supposed to be boycotting Disney because they provide equal job benefits to all employees. So like, gay couples get insurance and stuff. Since I have no problem with that on the level of private businesses, I don't boycott Disney. And honestly, I don't know a single Christian who does boycott Disney on those grounds. I've known Christians throughout the years who don't allow certain Disney movies because they don't like what's in the particular movies, but I have never heard anyone say "we don't buy anything Disney cuz they treat gays equal."

Now, if someone wants to avoid Chik-Fil-A then that's totally their right and you won't see me calling them stupid or petty. Voting with your wallet is one of the biggest ways to show your support or lack of. What bothers me in this case is that government authorities have gotten involved and want to try to block the stores from their cities. I've never heard of a pro traditional marriage politician trying to ban Disney from showing movies in their town or anything like that. This feels very bully-ish to me and I don't like it. I'm supporting Chik-Fil-A from the sidelines on this one because I support people who stand up for what they believe in even when I don't agree. They've never hidden their Christian values. They won't even do commerce on Sundays, so I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone.

I'm still not planning to eat there though because I've never been impressed with their food. In fact, the first time I ate there when I was 17 I ended up in the ER a few hours later with food poisoning. And one of the guys in the ambulance was a really hot guy that I knew and wanted to go out with. Do you know just how fun it is to be having dry heaves in front of your crush? Yea, he never asked me out. Thanks Chik-Fil-A!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
July 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
I saw something that said "Let's ask the Christian President of a restaurant chain, that isn't open on Sunday, his view on gay marriage and then act surprised and outraged when we don't like the answer"

This was meant to be sarcastic, but it's SO TRUE!

I don't see why people have to be so extreme. It's one thing to want equal rights, but it's another when people think their rights rights should be more important than someone else's.

Businesses have the right to support whatever causes they want. It's similarly your right to support the opposite cause. But to boycott someone who made their mission statement clear, who has not hidden their beliefs, who was very clearly Christian and not "for" gay marriage? That's ridiculous and hypocritical.

No one forces people to eat there. It's a restaurant. Not a political campaign.

I have to say I'm actually proud of Chick Fil A for standing up for their own beliefs and not caving because it's the popular decision to support gay marriage. NOT everyone supports gay marriage and they don't have to.

I don't even believe that sexual preferences should be shared with the world. I believe those things should be private, between you and your mate. Not everyone else's business. I think that sex should be between two consenting adults and only them. There's really no reason to tell everyone what you're doing in the bedroom. When I meet people, I do not really want to know all that information. Their being gay/straight/or wanting NO sex has no bearing on how they are as a person, therefore I don't see the relevance of it being discussed.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
July 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
The Kimber, Repti.Mom and Linzie like this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
July 29th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
It really has nothing to do with gay rights. Its a political ploy for campaign season. If the media and politicians who are fueling the frenzy really cared about not doing business with those who are against gay rights, they would be focusing on the bigger fish such as other countries where homosexuals have little to no rights at all.
GSLynn and K.A.T like this.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #9  
July 29th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
It really has nothing to do with gay rights. Its a political ploy for campaign season. If the media and politicians who are fueling the frenzy really cared about not doing business with those who are against gay rights, they would be focusing on the bigger fish such as other countries where homosexuals have little to no rights at all.
True.

And I don't forget that Chick Fil A and others have been around for a long time with their beliefs since they opened. So it's "character" so to speak coming into question now? During election year? Not suspicious at all. lol
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
July 29th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,641
Ha, totally stealing that ecard. I have nothing else to add.
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #11  
July 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Linzie's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 466
Send a message via MSN to Linzie Send a message via Skype™ to Linzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I don't even believe that sexual preferences should be shared with the world. I believe those things should be private, between you and your mate. Not everyone else's business. I think that sex should be between two consenting adults and only them. There's really no reason to tell everyone what you're doing in the bedroom. When I meet people, I do not really want to know all that information. Their being gay/straight/or wanting NO sex has no bearing on how they are as a person, therefore I don't see the relevance of it being discussed.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

I dont go off telling people what I do behind closed doors, so why do they think they have to? I don't care! I don't like seeing gay PDA, but then again I don't even like seeing straight PDA. Keep that stuff private. Sucking face does not need to be done in public. A quick kiss or a hug or something is cute, but dang, keep your clothes on!

I also stole the E-Card. That was amazing.
__________________



Last edited by Linzie; July 29th, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
July 29th, 2012, 02:30 PM
hannah79's Avatar A little bit wicked
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,041
I didn't realize there was a big gay PDA epidemic. I don't think I have ever seen one instance. I also didn't realize being gay meant you suddenly told everyone what you were doing behind your bedroom doors.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #13  
July 29th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah79 View Post
I didn't realize there was a big gay PDA epidemic. I don't think I have ever seen one instance. I also didn't realize being gay meant you suddenly told everyone what you were doing behind your bedroom doors.
Nobody said there was one.
She said she didn't like gay OR straight PDA.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #14  
July 29th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3,556
I actually just posted that picture on my Facebook yesterday! I think people have the right to boycott whatever they want. People who are pro-gay marriage can boycott chick fil a and anti-gay marriage people can boycott Nabisco and General Mills. I don't see why people are surprised about it, though. If I was really worried about my money going to anti-gay organizations I wouldn't have ever eaten there. I also wouldn't shop at a Christian book store or Hobby Lobby.

When the government gets involved, that's when I have a problem. The government should either make gay marriage legal or not, but as long as organizations against it aren't doing anything illegal (like harassing gays or something) it should leave them alone.

I personally don't see why the government needs to be involved in marriage in the first place. Leave it a social and religious institution IMO. But if marriage is a legal thing, open it up to any group of consenting adults whether they be gay, straight, poly, related, whatever. If people want to be bonded in that way, who are we to stop them just because they don't conform to our values? Marriage should only be stopped if it involves a minor who cannot give consent or against one of the participant's will. Saying you are pro-gay marriage but against poly-marriage seems pretty hypocritical to me.
__________________

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
Reply With Quote
  #15  
July 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
hannah79's Avatar A little bit wicked
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,041
I guess I read too much into her post.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #16  
July 29th, 2012, 03:33 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Marriage is a religious institution and the government doesn't NEED to recognize it. They don't recognize baptism. Could you imagine what people would think if the government offered tax breaks or incentives to baptized people? WTH?
What the government should endorse is civil unions for all. If you get married in a church, it's not a government thing. If you want a government stamp of approval, you get your butt to the justice of the peace for a legal transaction.
The government, being a social entity that should not endorse any religious views, should grant civil unions to all consenting adults seeking them. That's true equality.
I don't support gay "marriage" because my religion does not define a marriage ceremony between same sex couples. "Marriage" is going to be defined differently from one religion to the next, just like baptism. You can't just splash some water on your kid and say "there, he's baptized now." Going through the motions doesn't mean you've performed a marriage or baptism.
It's not the government's job to figure out what's the right definition/ceremony and what's not. Plenty of people out there don't care how I define marriage and don't want the government to follow my religion's rules on the matter. And I can't say I blame them.

Civil unions for all who expect government acknowledgement. Marriage in addition to civil unions for those of us who want it done before our God. And if you can find a religion that willingly marries gay couples, cool. I think the Episcopals do it. But if so, they do it because their religion allowed for it, not because the government forced them to.

I also think everybody should agree with me on this, because my opinion on this matter is clearly 100% correct.
short_n_swt likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
July 29th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,243
Foxfire, marriage pre-dates modern religion. Not the other way around, it is not a religious institution, in fact, marriage did not become a sacrament until long after the religion was established.
http://www.resurrection-catholic.org.../questions.pdf

My issue with the whole thing was issued all the way up the top and ignored. Obviously, I do not have the ability to purchase anything from Chick-fil-a, however, we have a similar issue with a place here called Gloria Jeans, who donate money to organisations that actively oppose gay marriage and I will never purchase from them. I will also ensure that people know their stance.

I don't care what someone's personal beliefs are, but when large sums of money come into play from businesses, I do care, very much. If Chick-fil-a, in this example, had their opinion, but used their money solely for their company, or donated to other organisations that only do positive things, then I would not care, as soon as a company donates towards oppression, there is a problem.

For the record, one of my children has less rights than the other 4, it's not an issue of what happens in the bedroom, it is an issue of discrimination, this child does not go around screaming "IM GAY" in people's faces, or giving details of their sex life, but so much as walking through the shops holding hands with their partner has brought on some very extreme reactions, mostly involving someone screaming something about God. It is not a 'bedroom' issue, it's a just trying to live like a normal person issue.
beck12, *Leslie*, SusieQ2 and 3 others like this.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
July 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
I have no idea what Chick Fil A is, never heard of it. But I do support gay marriage and gay rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Nobody said there was one.
She said she didn't like gay OR straight PDA.
Her post, to me, made it sound like she saw gay PDA all thetime. I'm sure that is not what she meant though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Marriage is a religious institution and the government doesn't NEED to recognize it. They don't recognize baptism. Could you imagine what people would think if the government offered tax breaks or incentives to baptized people? WTH?
What the government should endorse is civil unions for all. If you get married in a church, it's not a government thing. If you want a government stamp of approval, you get your butt to the justice of the peace for a legal transaction.
The government, being a social entity that should not endorse any religious views, should grant civil unions to all consenting adults seeking them. That's true equality.
I don't support gay "marriage" because my religion does not define a marriage ceremony between same sex couples. "Marriage" is going to be defined differently from one religion to the next, just like baptism. You can't just splash some water on your kid and say "there, he's baptized now." Going through the motions doesn't mean you've performed a marriage or baptism.
It's not the government's job to figure out what's the right definition/ceremony and what's not. Plenty of people out there don't care how I define marriage and don't want the government to follow my religion's rules on the matter. And I can't say I blame them.

Civil unions for all who expect government acknowledgement. Marriage in addition to civil unions for those of us who want it done before our God. And if you can find a religion that willingly marries gay couples, cool. I think the Episcopals do it. But if so, they do it because their religion allowed for it, not because the government forced them to.

I also think everybody should agree with me on this, because my opinion on this matter is clearly 100% correct.
What about homosexuals that do belong to the religioun that does not perform gay marriages? Not everyone in those religiouns are going to be straight. I've been to 2 civil unions performed in a church for lesbian couples. For them it was very important that they had a chuch ceremony.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #19  
July 29th, 2012, 04:02 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
It's a sacrament now and that's what I follow. Society believing that people are joined for social purposes and religions believing that people are joined and having a ceremony for it are not the same thing.

I'm not Catholic. According to Catholics, I'm not married. Good thing for me the government doesn't follow the Catholics' rules. The government also shouldn't be following my rules, and should grant civil/social unions to anyone who wants one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post

What about homosexuals that do belong to the religioun that does not perform gay marriages? Not everyone in those religiouns are going to be straight. I've been to 2 civil unions performed in a church for lesbian couples. For them it was very important that they had a chuch ceremony.
I don't understand. Why would someone be in a religion whose articles of faith they don't believe in? Like, I don't believe in the Catholic views, so I'm not one. I couldn't get married in the Catholic church, so I'm not going to join it to begin with.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
July 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
I don't care what someone's personal beliefs are, but when large sums of money come into play from businesses, I do care, very much. If Chick-fil-a, in this example, had their opinion, but used their money solely for their company, or donated to other organisations that only do positive things, then I would not care, as soon as a company donates towards oppression, there is a problem.
Who gets to decide what organizations do positive things and which ones don't? In their eyes this organization is positive. Either companies should be able to donate to organizations or they shouldn't. Would you like people with their beliefs saying companies can't donate to pro-gay marriage organizations? Since these things are so subjective I think they should be able to donate to any organizations they want as long as what they're doing isn't illegal. If people don't like it they vote with their wallet and thus prevent money from going to those organizations that way.
__________________

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0