Locking Up Formula Going Too Far?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree28Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
No, many hospitals give out the formula. They put it in diaper bags and give it to you as you leave the hospital. They market them as "breastfeeding sample bags" except they are filled with full size formula cans. Of course all hospitals are different and yours sounds better than the ones I've had clients in. Also at the hospital based childbirth classes, on the last day of class they gave you a black diaper bag with 4 Similac formula cans in them (regular sized). This is a problem and this is why hospitals are cracking down on it.
This has been my experience in all 4 hospitals I have given birth in even though all 4 times I clearly stated that I would be exclusively breastfeeding.
When I got to my recovery room after having Ivy (she's 2 1/2 now) there was a bag there for me labelled as if it were to help me getting started with breastfeeding. It had some generic literature about breastfeeding, a teeny weeny envelope packet of nipple cream, a tiny trial size tube of lansinoh, and a full size can of Similac.
Why trial sizes of the things pertaining to nursing but a full size can of formula? The intent on the formula company's part is obvious. "Good luck breastfeeding. Once you fail, which you're probably gonna, buy our products."

Hospitals definitely need to be more neutral and not just hand out formula to moms who have said they don't want it. But there don't need to be laws restricting formula as tightly as if it were medication.

To my knowledge, I have heard anything about formula being made an RX.
July 31st, 2012, 11:12 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I was very pleased that my tiny county hospital was so encouraging and pro breastfeeding this time. I wasn't pressured in any way, but they made sure I had resources to get breastfeeding established. No formula was brought to my room EVER. I was pleased. I didn't worry when I sent her to the nursery for shift change. lol

July 31st, 2012, 11:12 AM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
OK she posted an ABC news link and nothing talks about mandating it. I think she is just assuming because hospitals may be 'complying' with his ideas, that it's now 'law' which I explained are 2 different things. I know I can't find anything, even purposefully looking, that talks about requirements of a prescription to use formula. How long does this jerk get to stay in office anyway? WHO in their right minds elected this fool?

As far as samples in the hospital: We had to sign up with the formula companies at the Dr. Office if you wanted to receive a bag w/ formula in it at the hospital. The Dr. Office has a sign that clearly states they do not endorse any particular company. I signed up for all the companies to sample each formula and then decided which one I felt was best for my kid. No one tried to "force" formula feeding on my kids at the hospital. In fact, all I HEARD about was breastfeeding.

I didn't say anything about it being made an RX.
July 31st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A lot of hospitals are not giving out the samples anymore. There was just a recent story about how Mass. hospitals voluntarily banning formula goody bags. Rhode Island did the same in Nov. I'm not sure about my state but at the hospital where I had three of my babies, I told the nurse I was breastfeeding and I never saw or heard anything about formula or a formula goody bag.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
July 31st, 2012, 12:41 PM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I didn't say anything about it being made an RX.
You mean it right? I didn't think you said anything about it. A friend said something about it but I couldn't find anything at all about it. It's ok. She went batsh** crazy anyway and screamed at a group of people, and said to "***" off to us and then left.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
July 31st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:

I do not believe the formula companies have a right to market their products inside a hospital. If they want to give out free formula then people can sign up at their websites to get some samples. But I do not believe they have any right inside the hospital. Like I said in a previous post, if I were to do that I would get into *serious* trouble by the health board. They can also go to WIC if they are in need of formula and cannot afford it. There are many places where you can get free formula, even at Motherhood Maternity (once you sign up there you'll recieve Enfamil in the mail, atleast in my home state you do).
Do you feel that way about all companies that advertise within a hospital? Or is it just formula companies? Is it just hospitals you have an issue against, or is it all medical facilities? Where do you draw the line on when is and is not appropriate for companies to "advertise" their wares?
Is merely having a presence within a hospital or any facility for that matter, still advertising in your opinion?

I'm just trying to understand your pov, hopefully this will better clarify your stance for me.
July 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
Do you feel that way about all companies that advertise within a hospital? Yes
Or is it just formula companies? No, I don't think the hospital is the place for advertisment. There are already plenty of formula, medicine, etc advertisments in magazines, commercials, on the internet, billboards, stores, etc. Hospitals need to be a place for education and information, not advertisment and free samples.
Is it just hospitals you have an issue against, or is it all medical facilities? All medical facilities, and this includes home offices like mine. I am not *allowed* to have formula or other medicine advertisment in my office by the health board. I wouldn't even if I was allowed.
Where do you draw the line on when is and is not appropriate for companies to "advertise" their wares? It is not appropriate to hand out free full sized cans of formula to new mothers. Majority of the hospitals I have been in would just hand out the cans and no explanation. They did not have great BFing support, did not give out educational information on the two choices of feeding, nor did they give out any info on the actual formulas. They would just hand out whichever one(s) they were given by the companies. Mostly Similac and Enfamil. The same goes with giving out free samples of medications all willy nilly, which has happened to me before. "Oh have a stomachache that won't go away? Here take these".
Is merely having a presence within a hospital or any facility for that matter, still advertising in your opinion? I don't mind hospitals having formula on hand. Not all mothers will breastfeed for one reason or another. I don't mind hospitals giving out a free can to those moms who want it and/or need it (low income moms that can't or don't want to nurse). I take issue with the distribution of the free cans and paraphanelia (pens that say Enfamil on them, and the like).

I'm just trying to understand your pov, hopefully this will better clarify your stance for me.
I feel that some hospitals decide not to take the time to educate their patients/clients and instead just take an easy way out. They do that with breastpumps too. They'll just send moms home with breastpumps without showing them how to use it and without giving them support on actually breastfeeding. So then new moms have latch and supply issues. I've seen this happen all too often. Getting formula samples sends the message that a mother will fail at breastfeeding and the hospital won't help them. I've had many clients tell me that, and that is why they find independent breastfeeding educators. It's a shame there isn't enough of us out there though.
July 31st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that hospitals should not just hand out formula to anyone who has given birth. I think hospitals should encourage breastfeeding to mothers who aren't sure, but back off mothers who have made their choice about formula. I do think breastfeeding is better as it comes with antibodies formula does not, but it isn't our place to tell mothers they can't formula feed if that is what works for them. At the very least hospitals need to provide the same level of resources for BF'ing moms as they do FF'ing ones.

I've been lucky enough to receive samples of several birth control brands from my OB/GYN, usually three month packs. I've had a lot of trouble finding a birth control that worked for me (eventually just gave up) so this was very helpful. There wasn't much point writing a script if I was just going to change brands in a few months anyway. As such I don't have a problem with doctors or hospitals giving out samples to those who ask for it.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
July 31st, 2012, 08:09 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was upset when I had Nicholas.. the hospital/birthing center I chose is among the top 10 in the country (and well known around here for "all natural" labor and stuff) and they gave Nicholas formula after I SPECIFICALLY said NO! He would not latch after that. They sent us home with a TON of formula. It took me about 3 months to get him to latch without a shield and to stop taking pumped milk.

I dont think the formula needs to be locked up. I think the nurses/docs need to be better educated.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

August 3rd, 2012, 08:30 AM
Audrey's Aunt Amanda's Avatar Not a mommy yet.
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
Personally I think their new procedure is borderline bullying. If A mother says no at the first bottle, what makes the think berating her at each bottle will make her choose the breast? I come on. No means no is all contexts! Leave them alone. I myself hope to have children within the next few years as I want to have a breast reduction (FFF here), but I have been told by my neighbor that is I have a BR before I have my children, then I can not BF because ,milk ducts and nerves are ruined. Now I don't know how true that is as I do not have insurance and have only juggled the idea around in my head to have a BR, but still. But if I am forced to formula feed my child I will out of necessity. I think anyone who looks down on a mother who is feeding her child what she can is disgusting. Just because a child has a bottle and not a breast in her or her mouth

PLUMCOSM
Purple Plums, just one more helping
Just SOME of my favorite names!

August 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
I dont think the formula needs to be locked up. I think the nurses/docs need to be better educated.
I fully agree with that.

Around here, formula isn't locked up but it isn't offered unless you are adamant that you don't want to breastfeed or if you cannot. And the hospitals offer all the help you need to make breastfeeding work (LC on staff, you can rent an electric pump for free, they do not offer formula or pacifiers to the infants...) but if you don't want/can't, they don't shame you for it (well, you can always get that one mean spirited nurse that makes you feel horrible but it's not the norm).

I can't speak for every woman out there but I felt at my most vulnerable once I gave birth and if I had to go ask the pharmacist or doctor and plead to get formula to feed my child, I would have cracked. Not advertising is one thing, making it hard to obtain if you need it is another.

August 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey's Aunt Amanda View Post
Personally I think their new procedure is borderline bullying. If A mother says no at the first bottle, what makes the think berating her at each bottle will make her choose the breast? I come on. No means no is all contexts! Leave them alone. I myself hope to have children within the next few years as I want to have a breast reduction (FFF here), but I have been told by my neighbor that is I have a BR before I have my children, then I can not BF because ,milk ducts and nerves are ruined. Now I don't know how true that is as I do not have insurance and have only juggled the idea around in my head to have a BR, but still. But if I am forced to formula feed my child I will out of necessity. I think anyone who looks down on a mother who is feeding her child what she can is disgusting. Just because a child has a bottle and not a breast in her or her mouth
I don't think their intentions are to bully them or keep bugging them after a mother says she wants to formula feed. I think the intentions are just like the other hospitals that have banned free formula, which is to not give out formula sample bags, have advertisment of formulas, make sure women are informed on both breastfeeding and formula feeding, and having formula put away rather than out and only reserve it for those who want/need it. I think the media just makes things always seem way more extreme then they really are.
August 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:
I don't think their intentions are to bully them or keep bugging them after a mother says she wants to formula feed. I think the intentions are just like the other hospitals that have banned free formula, which is to not give out formula sample bags, have advertisment of formulas, make sure women are informed on both breastfeeding and formula feeding, and having formula put away rather than out and only reserve it for those who want/need it. I think the media just makes things always seem way more extreme then they really are.
I'm not really sure you can say that and hope to put any truth behind it. How do you know they really aren't trying to bully them? It IS entirely possible they truly are. There are asshats everywhere in this world.
Of course the media is going to make things seem more extreme, they do that on both sides of the fence. But that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't ANY truth to it, though.

I've seen nurses bully parents before, I've seen doctors bully parents before. Even in what not only I, but the world, consider to be one of the best hospitals in existence. I've been bullied by them myself. So personally, when I see ANYTHING that could likely be construed as that, it raises a red flag for me. I **** well know there are better ways to handle things. It royally sucks to be on the receiving end of such treatment. Especially at a time like that, when you should be relishing in what has just transpired. No parent should ever be bullied by anyone, really, but come on now, she just had a friggen baby. Lay the hell off.
August 3rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
BTW, thanks to Tammy and Michelle You know it's hard to resist a breastfeeding debate. lol

August 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
I'm not really sure you can say that and hope to put any truth behind it. How do you know they really aren't trying to bully them? It IS entirely possible they truly are. There are asshats everywhere in this world.
Of course the media is going to make things seem more extreme, they do that on both sides of the fence. But that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't ANY truth to it, though.

I've seen nurses bully parents before, I've seen doctors bully parents before. Even in what not only I, but the world, consider to be one of the best hospitals in existence. I've been bullied by them myself. So personally, when I see ANYTHING that could likely be construed as that, it raises a red flag for me. I **** well know there are better ways to handle things. It royally sucks to be on the receiving end of such treatment. Especially at a time like that, when you should be relishing in what has just transpired. No parent should ever be bullied by anyone, really, but come on now, she just had a friggen baby. Lay the hell off.
Because formula feeding is a lot more accepted in the USA than in other parts of the world and is considered the norm there. So I doubt that nurses, Doctors, and LCs are going to start bullying parents to BF when they say they aren't going to. While I've had some people be rude to me about BFing, I've never seen anyone do the same to a FF mom (outside of the mommy wars that is). Again, in my experience and what it seems like here, is that they are trying to raise the BFing rates by not giving out free formula and better support/education/information. Which is the same thing that has already happened in other states and countries (RI, Mass).

ETA: Maybe this is just what I hope he is doing. Yes he seems extreme by some of the things he talks about and I will admit he scares me some, but maybe he really is just trying to boost BFing rates and help BFing moms more so then in the past. I don't think it's accurate to say he's bullying women to BF from locking up formula on maternity wards, because he's not the first person to do that, and those other states to my knowledge don't bully women.

ETA: Again. So reading articles this is what I agree with "Under Latch On NYC, new mothers who want formula won’t be denied it, but hospitals will keep infant formula in out-of-the-way secure storerooms or in locked boxes like those used to dispense and track medications." That is how it is in thousands, possibly millions of hospitals around the world. This is what I DONT agree with "With each bottle a mother requests and receives, she’ll also get a talking-to. Staffers will explain why she should offer the breast instead.'' I fully believe in giving the parents full information on both formula and breastfeeding, give them support for both, and let them make up their minds. I don't think AFTER you've done that you should give them a "talking to". They are not little kids, they didn't do anything wrong, they made a choice and that choice needs to be supported.

So, in my opinion, HE is extreme, but not the idea is. I hope my rambling makes sense, I'm tired.

Last edited by HappyHippy; August 3rd, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
August 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
I have to agree that it feels like being told what to do. Education, encouragement, support would be more helpful.

Maybe because I'm fresh out of the hospital with my own newborn I see this differently. You're tired and a little fragile at that time. You need people that treat you well instead of people that make you feel forced into something.

I nurse my babies until they self wean and don't use an drop of formula. But this is really not the right way to go about things. I think we are big girls and can make our own choices without being forced into them out of shame or guilt or feeling bullied.

August 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I'm so thankful that my hospital didn't do this. Yes, they are very pro-bf, and I'm glad they are. But they also don't make you feel like crap for ff instead. The last thing any woman who's just had a baby needs, especially a first time mom, is to get a "talking to" because they decide to ff instead of bf. This mayor really is into the bully tactic. My poor DH deals with his office on a regular basis since his company runs government funded contracts. It's all about tossing his weight around and making himself look good. This term, the one he brought and paid for btw (the man shouldn't even be in office according to our two term laws), has been very eye opening to many New Yorkers. I'm just glad that this is only a volunteer program and not something he's trying to pass as an ordnance.
Tammyjh likes this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search