The appropriate way to teach kids about religion

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasky View Post
I will raise my children Catholic and teach them all that the Catholic Church teaches. I love my faith and believe completely in it. I have been to other churches and haven't felt as strongly about them as I have the Catholic Church. I am very passionate about my faith and plan to pass that passion on to my children. Yes, I will make my children go to mass with me and they will go to Sunday school, but I will also talk with them about the church and why we believe the things we believe. I don't see how giving children something to have faith in is a bad thing.
Will you make your kids play soccer if they don't want to play soccer, too? Or make them play violin if they don't want to?

Do you think not having faith is a bad thing?
August 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
No one has said that in this thread. It is something that I have heard many times though.

August 7th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Soccer and faith are completely different. You cannot compare the two. Just like you cannot compare faith to favorite colors. Faith in God is something that will benefit my children not only in this life but also in the afterlife. Yes, I believe that not having faith is a bad thing. What a sad life to live not having faith. Not having a God to turn to for help. Not having the thought that once you die you could go to heaven. Yes, I will give my children something to have faith in. A God that is always forgiving. A God that is always there to comfort me. A God that has been with me through the loss of my grandfather and both of my babies. A God that has provided money for me when I was about to have no money for rent or food. A God that protects and loves His people. My children will know that God and I pray that everyone will know that God.

August 7th, 2012, 07:38 PM
The Truth is out There
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan4fate View Post
I read "The Shack" a few years back, during a really awful point in my life and it really changed me. The guy who wrote it... made more sense to me than 25ish years of teachings from church. Go figure? I think my father dying shortly after gave me a bit of a push, the idea that he was gone, for ever, and nothing remained... just didn't work for me. Hence, heaven. Reme has a stillborn uncle in heaven, and he talks about him a lot... so the idea of Heaven (aka an afterlife of any kind) just works in our house.

I don't mind going to church once in a while... I like hymns, I like the social aspect of it. I will baptize my children (DH is allowing it, but he won't be attending the service because they'll require him to get up and "lie"), but it's mostly because it's important to my grandmother (who is my world). But I just get so freaking BORED in church.. gah, I have the attention span of a 2 year old.

I just feel that if God wanted me to go to church, he'd give me a good sign to do so. So far, nothing. I lost a lot of faith in the bible when I did some research into how often it has been changed to suit someone's opinion (like King James).

I'd never stop my children from going to church if that is what they want. Like Purly Rocker I'd have to draw the line at something cultish however, at least while they live at home.

I agree on the point of the Bible. (Actually, I agree with most points.) I did know a couple of scholars who are experts on the original languages of the first manuscripts of the Bible, and they wrote an edition of the Bible that was as close to the original language as possible.

August 7th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran
We are raising our kids in our faith. They know that other people believe differently than we do and that is ok. We also belieive that we don't have all the answers and our children know that. Our church/religion does not believe have all the facts only that we have as much of the truth as is available to us. Our children are welcome to question and if they hit a point in their lives that they want to stop attending or attend elsewhere than that is their choice. It would certainly be difficult for us as parents. I mean, if we didn't beleive in what we were doing, why would we do it? However, there will be a lot of choices our children make that will be difficult for us and there is no point in pretending we have no feelings.
Most of all I want my kids to live what they believe even if it differs from what I believe.
Quote:
I'm surprised so few people are saying they will be raising their kids x-religion!
I was surprised by this too but I think it is partly because those with strong religious views hesitate to post in this type of discussion as religion is almost politically incorrect lately.
August 7th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Soccer and faith are completely different. You cannot compare the two. Just like you cannot compare faith to favorite colors. Faith in God is something that will benefit my children not only in this life but also in the afterlife. Yes, I believe that not having faith is a bad thing. What a sad life to live not having faith. Not having a God to turn to for help. Not having the thought that once you die you could go to heaven. Yes, I will give my children something to have faith in. A God that is always forgiving. A God that is always there to comfort me. A God that has been with me through the loss of my grandfather and both of my babies. A God that has provided money for me when I was about to have no money for rent or food. A God that protects and loves His people. My children will know that God and I pray that everyone will know that God.

God literally put out a hand with money in it for your rent? I'm confused. Anyway, I am not comparing soccer and your religion. I am asking if you will MAKE them play soccer if they don't want to? Or any other non religious extra curricular activity?

ETA: I will MAKE my kid have the confidence to give himself the credit where it's due. God won't give him the money for the rent, his hard work will earn the money for the rent.
*Leslie* and HappyHippy like this.

Last edited by Hey... Where's Perry?; August 7th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
August 7th, 2012, 07:50 PM
The Truth is out There
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
Will you make your kids play soccer if they don't want to play soccer, too? Or make them play violin if they don't want to?

Do you think not having faith is a bad thing?
Some parents do..

I think it's important to raise your kids how you live. But I also think it's important to let them do their own thing, if they feel the need.
I will take my kids to church with me, until they're old enough to stay home alone. Then they can choose if they want to go. Most Sundays DH works, so he wouldn't be able to watch them. I'm not going to pay for a babysitter just because they aren't old enough to make their own choice. But when they're older, if they decide not to do what I do, that's fine. I'm still going to love them and think they're great.

August 7th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Believe me, I don't sit around and say, "Oh God will provide, I don't have to do anything." I work hard. But when I lost my job and a check came in the mail, one that I was not expecting, I thanked God for it. It was an answer to my prayers. God was looking out for me I believe that. Even though I was struggling to understand how He would help, He showed me that He will always be there for me.

No I will not force my child to play or not play sports. And please do not respond with "Then why force your child into a religion". My children will be prayerful children. Prayers are what keep us connected to God. Prayers are what got me through the two times my father had cancer and overcame it. Prayers are what kept me going and what kept my father going. Sports and extra-curriculars won't last forever but God will.

August 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:

No I will not force my child to play or not play sports. And please do not respond with "Then why force your child into a religion".

Why don't you want to answer a legitimate question? Why force your child into a religion?

You should also read this unbiased article: Liberals and atheists smarter? Intelligent people have values novel in human evolutionary history, study finds
Quote:
Liberals and Atheists Smarter? Intelligent People Have Values Novel in Human Evolutionary History, Study Finds

ScienceDaily (Feb. 24, 2010) — More intelligent people are statistically significantly more likely to exhibit social values and religious and political preferences that are novel to the human species in evolutionary history. Specifically, liberalism and atheism, and for men (but not women), preference for sexual exclusivity correlate with higher intelligence, a new study finds.

The study, published in the March 2010 issue of the peer-reviewed scientific journal Social Psychology Quarterly, advances a new theory to explain why people form particular preferences and values. The theory suggests that more intelligent people are more likely than less intelligent people to adopt evolutionarily novel preferences and values, but intelligence does not correlate with preferences and values that are old enough to have been shaped by evolution over millions of years."

"Evolutionarily novel" preferences and values are those that humans are not biologically designed to have and our ancestors probably did not possess. In contrast, those that our ancestors had for millions of years are "evolutionarily familiar."

"General intelligence, the ability to think and reason, endowed our ancestors with advantages in solving evolutionarily novel problems for which they did not have innate solutions," says Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary psychologist at the London School of Economics and Political Science. "As a result, more intelligent people are more likely to recognize and understand such novel entities and situations than less intelligent people, and some of these entities and situations are preferences, values, and lifestyles."

An earlier study by Kanazawa found that more intelligent individuals were more nocturnal, waking up and staying up later than less intelligent individuals. Because our ancestors lacked artificial light, they tended to wake up shortly before dawn and go to sleep shortly after dusk. Being nocturnal is evolutionarily novel.

In the current study, Kanazawa argues that humans are evolutionarily designed to be conservative, caring mostly about their family and friends, and being liberal, caring about an indefinite number of genetically unrelated strangers they never meet or interact with, is evolutionarily novel. So more intelligent children may be more likely to grow up to be liberals.

Data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health) support Kanazawa's hypothesis. Young adults who subjectively identify themselves as "very liberal" have an average IQ of 106 during adolescence while those who identify themselves as "very conservative" have an average IQ of 95 during adolescence.

Similarly, religion is a byproduct of humans' tendency to perceive agency and intention as causes of events, to see "the hands of God" at work behind otherwise natural phenomena. "Humans are evolutionarily designed to be paranoid, and they believe in God because they are paranoid," says Kanazawa. This innate bias toward paranoia served humans well when self-preservation and protection of their families and clans depended on extreme vigilance to all potential dangers. "So, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to go against their natural evolutionary tendency to believe in God, and they become atheists."

Young adults who identify themselves as "not at all religious" have an average IQ of 103 during adolescence, while those who identify themselves as "very religious" have an average IQ of 97 during adolescence.

In addition, humans have always been mildly polygynous in evolutionary history. Men in polygynous marriages were not expected to be sexually exclusive to one mate, whereas men in monogamous marriages were. In sharp contrast, whether they are in a monogamous or polygynous marriage, women were always expected to be sexually exclusive to one mate. So being sexually exclusive is evolutionarily novel for men, but not for women. And the theory predicts that more intelligent men are more likely to value sexual exclusivity than less intelligent men, but general intelligence makes no difference for women's value on sexual exclusivity. Kanazawa's analysis of Add Health data supports these sex-specific predictions as well.

One intriguing but theoretically predicted finding of the study is that more intelligent people are no more or no less likely to value such evolutionarily familiar entities as marriage, family, children, and friends.
What are your thoughts?
August 7th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I think that my belief in God has nothing to do with being paranoid. It has to do with my soul. I do not go to church because I am paranoid that something bad will happen to me. I go to church because it fills me with peace and hope. I feel revived. I have a passion for God.

So because I have a faith in God and consider myself conservative that means that I am of lower intelligence than those who don't believe in God and are liberal? Also, I did answer the question. The answer I give, in all the posts I am making, probably isn't the answer you want to hear. My answer has everything to do with faith. I will take my children to church and teach them about God and pray with them and read the bible with them so that they can have the same hope and passion that makes me, my husband, and many Christians happy. I am not trapping them into something. I am bringing them in to something that will give them freedom.

My thinking may not be logical to people that don't share my faith, but faith is not exactly a logical thing. Faith is belief in something even though I cannot actually see the literal God, I see the works He does.

Last edited by bellasky; August 7th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
August 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Quote:
I think that my belief in God has nothing to do with being paranoid. It has to do with my soul. I do not go to church because I am paranoid that something bad will happen to me. I go to church because it fills me with peace and hope. I feel revived. I have a passion for God.

So because I have a faith in God and consider myself conservative that means that I am of lower intelligence than those who don't believe in God and are liberal? Also, I did answer the question. The answer I give, in all the posts I am making, probably isn't the answer you want to hear. My answer has everything to do with faith. I will take my children to church and teach them about God and pray with them and read the bible with them so that they can have the same hope and passion that makes me, my husband, and many Christians happy. I am not trapping them into something. I am bringing them in to something that will give them freedom.

My thinking may not be logical to people that don't share my faith, but faith is not exactly a logical thing. Faith is belief in something even though I cannot actually see the literal God, I see the works He does.
Making them only see your views, your God, your Bible, and that it's the only right way, is not freedom. They will rebel once they get a taste of true freedom.
August 7th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Not everyone rebels. Yeah, many people do, but not everyone does. I am not going to give up on my children because they might rebel some day. I am going to introduce them to the faith that I know and believe is the right faith. I am not ashamed to admit that I think my faith is the right faith. I will be upfront with them why I believe the things I believe.

I'll go with a similar analogy to yours. Why force your children to go to school, they will just rebel and drop out eventually, so why force them to go. Just let them stay home.

Why shy away from teaching them what I know is right because they might rebel? I am going to provide a loving place for them in the church. The church and the faith are not there to constrict me, they are there to help me. I am not being held hostage and neither will my children. I will raise my children Catholic and they will go to church with me until they leave my house and if they choose not to go to church after that, I will pray for them, but I refuse to just not teach them about my faith because they might rebel one day.

August 7th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Not everyone rebels. Yeah, many people do, but not everyone does. I am not going to give up on my children because they might rebel some day. I am going to introduce them to the faith that I know and believe is the right faith. I am not ashamed to admit that I think my faith is the right faith. I will be upfront with them why I believe the things I believe.

I'll go with a similar analogy to yours. Why force your children to go to school, they will just rebel and drop out eventually, so why force them to go. Just let them stay home.

Why shy away from teaching them what I know is right because they might rebel? I am going to provide a loving place for them in the church. The church and the faith are not there to constrict me, they are there to help me. I am not being held hostage and neither will my children. I will raise my children Catholic and they will go to church with me until they leave my house and if they choose not to go to church after that, I will pray for them, but I refuse to just not teach them about my faith because they might rebel one day.
Your analogy doesn't quite work... http://www.marylandpublicschools.org...code/7_301.htm

I also never said you should shy away from teaching them what you believe. You should shy away from teaching ONLY what you believe. There is a whole world out there that they deserve to experience.

Last edited by Hey... Where's Perry?; August 7th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
August 7th, 2012, 08:59 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
If you believe something is the truth it only makes sense you would want to pass that truth onto your children. Do you believe that the holocaust took place? How would you teach that event in history to your children? How much time will you spend teaching your kid that there are people out there who deny it took place? Will you teach your child that you believe it took place and that you think it was a horrible time in history but that others don't view that way so, whatever your kids want to believei is fine?
Do you believe men and women are equal in value and deserve equal rights? Will you raise your children to believe that but maybe just, as part of them learning about other cultures, learn that other people do not share that believe? or, will you teach them that you think men and women are equal but that they should make up their own mind and you would never want to push your views on them?
It is silly to try and claim that we never teach, or shouldn't teach, our children the things we believe true as truths.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
August 7th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I am a social studies teacher. I teach about the major religions of the world. Yes, my kids will know about them, but I will, of course, teach my religion as the true religion.

Of course my analogy doesn't work. It was a ludicrous example just as soccer compared to religion.

August 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
If you believe something is the truth it only makes sense you would want to pass that truth onto your children. Do you believe that the holocaust took place? How would you teach that event in history to your children? How much time will you spend teaching your kid that there are people out there who deny it took place? Will you teach your child that you believe it took place and that you think it was a horrible time in history but that others don't view that way so, whatever your kids want to believei is fine?
Do you believe men and women are equal in value and deserve equal rights? Will you raise your children to believe that but maybe just, as part of them learning about other cultures, learn that other people do not share that believe? or, will you teach them that you think men and women are equal but that they should make up their own mind and you would never want to push your views on them?
It is silly to try and claim that we never teach, or shouldn't teach, our children the things we believe true as truths.
That stuff isn't the same. The holocaust is history, we have proof it happened. We have video footage of the concentration camps. I will teach my children facts. Men and women are equal in value because there is nothing that makes them unequal. You arrive at this conclusion through reason and logic. I will teach my kids to reason and be logical.

However, I will not teach them the "truth" about the supernatural as that has little to due with facts, reason, or logic. There just isn't enough evidence one way or the other. I can only give them the reasons I believe what I do, and then let them make up their minds based on the available information.
*Leslie* likes this.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
August 8th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been trying to think of another example of a situation where you might believe something but wouldn't tell it to your children as the truth, that has nothing to do with religion. What came to mind is a current theory of how our universe came into existence. I do not believe it conflicts with Creation which is why I picked it.

The theory is that what we normally think of as the Big Bang might have actually been the creation of a black hole in another universe. God could have willed the black hole to form, "let there be light" being the explosion of the star. Perhaps Heaven is actually the universe the black hole came from. The gulf between the living and the dead could be the event horizon, which we currently believe nothing can cross without being obliterated. It is possible the matter in our universe is actually just matter from our "parent" universe, falling through the black hole.

Based on what I know this makes sense to me. I believe it's probably true. However just because I choose to believe this theory of the creation of the universe, doesn't mean I'm going to tell them it's the truth. If they ask me about the creation of the universe I'm not going to say, "Well a star exploded in a different universe and created a black hole. That explosion is what we commonly call the Big Bang. Our universe is at the other end of the black hole and is made up of the matter from the original star and everything that's fallen into the black hole since." No, I'm going to tell them what I said up there when I explained it the first time. Might have, could have, possibly, perhaps. If they want to go out and find a different theory about the creation of the universe that makes more sense to them, they can. Right now there is no way for us to know for 100% certain, there might never be. So it is up to us as individuals to find something that works for us. I think about religion the same way.

Sorry if this is really long. I was just trying to explain that I don't feel this way about only religion. I take this stance on anything that has multiple theories and that we can not prove one way or the other. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
August 8th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I completely understand where you are coming from. However with something as important as religion, something that will affect their afterlife I cannot just sit and let them have free reign on what they believe. I will do all that I can to promote my faith to them and speak of it as truth to them as long as they are with me.

August 8th, 2012, 06:46 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ Except you have no idea that your religioun is truth. There are so many flaws in religioun. And not letting them have free reign on what they believe? Wow. That's basically saying they can't be their own person.
August 8th, 2012, 06:55 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenoj View Post
That stuff isn't the same. The holocaust is history, we have proof it happened. We have video footage of the concentration camps. I will teach my children facts. Men and women are equal in value because there is nothing that makes them unequal. You arrive at this conclusion through reason and logic. I will teach my kids to reason and be logical.

Yes, history is history but you might be surprised how much you find in history book is a bunch of crap. It cracks me up how people just assume that what they read in their history texts book is correct. There is no shortage of disagreements about history. Just the other day I was talking to someone about Galileo and he thought the Catholic Church had a problem with Galileo because he said the earth was round. I couldn't believe it, but he insisted because he had learned it in school. I learned some crazy things in my texts books about the explorers, about European history etc. Yes, history is history but you are super naive if you think it is that straight forward.
yes, and would you please go to all the nations of that world that don't value men and women equally and just simply tell them to just follow logic and reason - it would same a lot of women a lot of pain and suffering.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search