An alternative to soda bans?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran
I read this article that suggested that instead of banning certain foods, to have a stop light system. Green means healthy, yellow means middle ground, and red means unhealthy. I know that people can just read labels but obviously that doesn't work. That and many people do not know how to properly read a food label and many can be misleading.

Red = Don't Eat: Simple Food Labels and the Effective Illusion of Control - Brian Fung - The Atlantic

I like this idea better than banning foods. People can still choose what they want to eat and maybe it will encourage food companies to provide more healthy options. The only problem that I can see is that what's healthy seems to change. One day something is very healthy, and then ten years later it's suddenly unhealthy. (Obviously high fat, sodium, and sugar foods are unhealthy though)
August 15th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my
It sounds like treating adults like kindergarteners to me and a big contribution to the dumbing down of society.
GSLynn likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 15th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's not the government's job to regulate what I do or don't eat. The fact that they're trying to ban things at all is beyond irritating. I'm an adult. I can choose to eat what I want. If I want the cheetos vs the apple slices, that's my choice. I really want politics to get out of my food!!

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
August 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Girl McD's Mommy View Post
It's not the government's job to regulate what I do or don't eat. The fact that they're trying to ban things at all is beyond irritating. I'm an adult. I can choose to eat what I want. If I want the cheetos vs the apple slices, that's my choice. I really want politics to get out of my food!!
sadly right now the cheetos are the best option. Listeria in apple slices atm.

While I think the system could work... I think it would be better for children rather than adults. I see no harm in putting little colored labels on products and teaching children about nutrition. But as an adult, I don't want to see a huge stop sign on my package that tells me I'm feeding my family crap. I know I'm feeding them crap (not my choice.. stupid fussy men with sensory disorders...grrrr), I don't need more guilt about it.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
August 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan4fate View Post
And eating egg yolks may be as bad for your as smoking
Eggs move back to the naughty list - The Globe and Mail

And bread may be worse than potato chips
Is Bread Worse for You Than Potato Chips? | News

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a good idea. I work with low-income people and many of them are illiterate. They can't read the lables, and they do feed their family crap because they don't understand how nutrition works, and many of their kids are obese. It's sad. I think if you don't work or know people like that it makes it easy to say "I'm an adult and I can make my own choices" and they forget about those who truly struggle with making food choices. With the color system they are not trying to make the government choose what we eat, but help those who need it make better choices and understand when something is good, not so good, and bad. I really don't see a big deal with it, and I don't get why we can't just allow things like this to help those out who need it. If you don't need it then it won't affect you.
Rinchan likes this.
August 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan4fate View Post
Dang!! I had no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
I think it's a good idea. I work with low-income people and many of them are illiterate. They can't read the lables, and they do feed their family crap because they don't understand how nutrition works, and many of their kids are obese. It's sad. I think if you don't work or know people like that it makes it easy to say "I'm an adult and I can make my own choices" and they forget about those who truly struggle with making food choices. With the color system they are not trying to make the government choose what we eat, but help those who need it make better choices and understand when something is good, not so good, and bad. I really don't see a big deal with it, and I don't get why we can't just allow things like this to help those out who need it. If you don't need it then it won't affect you.
I suppose I can see your point. I was just thinking about that mayor in NY who wants to ban sodas.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
August 15th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Yep, the govt. should intervene because "it sounds good to me".

Next on the list should be to level all buildings to one floor to make it easier for those who are afraid of heights.
Babybear4, GSLynn and K.A.T like this.

August 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
^ Seriously? Maybe we should just not label foods at all then. We should stop labeling cigarettes too, or alcohol. After all, we're adults, we can make our own choices.

Honestly, there are a lot of adults who will benefit from a system like this. The Government isn't telling us what we can and cannot eat, they are helping those who NEED help with making better choices for them and their family. And that is a problem, why?

ETA: At the grocery store in my home town they have a number system. The closer to 0 the better, and the number goes up to 100. So the higher the number the worse the food. They have it on every single label including parishables. I see this as the same thing, just a color instead of a number. (and it wasn't the Government that did this, it was the store)

Last edited by HappyHippy; August 15th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
August 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
I agree. A small colored icon/dot/something on a product is not a big deal. As a pretty well informed adult I can ignore them, but someone like my 67 year old grandfather who cannot read would be able to grocery shop and not bring home all garbage food.

But I think the main concern is someone would go overboard and require large warning labels on food... and that's just not necessary. But a color system (like something has more than x grams of fat or sugar) doesn't really harm anyone.... but I bet the food companies put up a MAJOR fuss over it.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
August 15th, 2012, 09:55 AM
No, the serious part of it is that we're going to have a society of dummies if we treat everyone like pre schoolers. While the govt. isn't telling someone what they can eat but it will be forcing the food companies to change their packaging. This is how the govt./politicians gain control over peoples lives and decicions.

And about the cigs. I've never really felt the label was necessary as everyone knows cigs are unhealthy. But, going by your logic, the labels are not helpful at all for those low income folks who are illiterate.
GSLynn and K.A.T like this.

August 15th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
No, the serious part of it is that we're going to have a society of dummies if we treat everyone like pre schoolers. While the govt. isn't telling someone what they can eat but it will be forcing the food companies to change their packaging. This is how the govt./politicians gain control over peoples lives and decicions.

And about the cigs. I've never really felt the label was necessary as everyone knows cigs are unhealthy. But, going by your logic, the labels are not helpful at all for those low income folks who are illiterate.
I really don't see it as treating society like they're dumb. There are a lot of articles out there that show that most Americans don't read the label correctly. It doesn't mean they're dumb, to me it sounds like the food companies are just making it harder to read then it should be. How would this not help illiterate people? If they know green is good/healthy, yellow is moderate healthy, and red is not healthy, then it would benefit them a lot more than trying to make sense of a food label, in which many can't even pronounce let alone know what they are.
August 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
So, if the govt. wants green labels slapped on pink slime, you're okay with that?

http://wtvr.com/2012/03/29/officials...lthy-and-safe/

August 15th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly most people know what foods are healthy & which ones aren't. But that doesn't stop them from picking the unhealthy choice.

Me for example, will pick the sour cream & onion potato chips over the apple every time! I know the apple is healthy & the chips aren't. But I don't care.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
No, I'm not ok with lying. If food is unhealthy then they should be marked as unhealthy.
August 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
No, I'm not ok with lying. If food is unhealthy then they should be marked as unhealthy.
Well, either you are okay with the government deeming what is healthy or you are not. Above you stated this:
Quote:
The Government isn't telling us what we can and cannot eat, they are helping
those who NEED help with making better choices for them and their family. And
that is a problem, why?
Now you are saying its lying to say that pink slime is healthy. Who do you think deemed it healthy? The government.
Quote:
At a recent press conference the U.S. Secretary of Agricutlure Tom Vilsack
and Iowa Governor Terry Branstad
spoke in support of the beef known most
recently, and degraded, as “pink slime.”

Secretary Vilsack described the beef as “healthy, safe and generally less
expensive.”

August 15th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Well, either you are okay with the government deeming what is healthy or you are not. Above you stated this:

Now you are saying its lying to say that pink slime is healthy. Who do you think deemed it healthy? The government.
I don't condone lying, I don't think the Government or the food companies should call something healthy when it's not. I don't think the Government, or anyone, should tell people how to eat. I do think that people, whether it's the Government or something/someone else, should help those who need it. These labels are not for you and I. We can read labels and understand what they mean, this labeling system is for those who cannot. Just because I can read a label doesn't mean everything then should be to my level.

I find it disgusting that the Government in the US lies to it's citizens. I also find it disgusting that food companies put a bunch of crap that is known to cause cancer and other serious illnesses.

I think that private studies, ones that are unbiased, should do the research on foods and ingredients (MSG, HFCS, etc) and then tell us if they are healthy or not. If they are not healthy they should be labeld as such and if they are healthy then they get the green light.
August 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
I find it disgusting that the Government in the US lies to it's citizens.
This isn't just a US problem. Lying governments exist in every country.

Quote:
I think that private studies, ones that are unbiased, should do the research on foods and ingredients (MSG, HFCS, etc) and then tell us if they are healthy or not. If they are not healthy they should be labeld as such and if they are healthy then they get the green light.
Who's going to pay for those "unbiased" studies?

August 15th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I never said they didn't. But we're talking about the US aren't we?

Listen, I don't have all the answers to every single problem. I'm just saying my opinion, and I think a color system for those who NEED it would be good. I don't know who is going to pay for the studies (there are, however, many non-Government funded studies in all sorts of things that come out all the time. This is no different), nor do I think the Government has to be the ones to do the color system. There are other options out there then just the Government, especially if you don't like the Government.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search