Are people becoming co-dependent on the government?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By short_n_swt
  • 1 Post By short_n_swt
  • 2 Post By AMDG
  • 2 Post By Frackel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Keepin' it real!
I think the government has quite a bit more control than they ought to, over people's lives. You can't be gay and marry, in some states, there's a ban on nearly everything, now with NY wanting to ban the SIZE of sodas someone can sell (or buy)....I mean when does the control end? Why do we as people allow it? When do we learn to stand up and say "BACK OFF" to the government and pick smarter when we elect people? Why do people, when voting on taxes, for example, cut education FIRST? Or when people know that they are in a particularly high-risk area for accidents, vote down allowing insurance companies to make products, such as medical payments (in addition to liability)? Why do people vote down having health insurance companies remain independent? Now it seems like people are fighting for OBAMACARE (which I'm not saying is bad or good) but ONLY for obamacare, and spout ridiculousness that there should be NO private insurance companies? I mean who thought all of the nonsense we go through is such a good idea?????

I feel a LOT of these things keep occurring because people have proven themselves too stupid to think on their own terms and have let the government take over their lives. It starts when we elect stupid officials to try to "fix" our broken lives.Then we blame officials when they can't fix it, and out of fear, vote for things that don't make sense. When you make one poor decision, there's a domino effect, and now the government wants to take over every aspect of our lives down to what you eat or drink. Why? Because people have let them get a little more control one time and then just a little more, and then a little more, until now, pretty much everything's controlled by the government. I feel people do not want to think for themselves anymore, that they prefer someone to tell them what to do, rather than think for themselves. The few who DO want to have true independence are being ruled by those who have allowed continuous "butting in" by the government. I don't think it will stop, frankly, until people stand up and learn to say "NO WE WON'T VOTE FOR STUPIDITY!" But, sadly, the majority rules, and the majority often do not make very wise decisions.

I am starting to wonder if people are becoming more and more co-dependent on our government?

Agree, disagree? Why or why not?

Adding, there are definitely many bans & laws that do make sense and are necessary....I'm talking about over-control, however.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??

Last edited by GSLynn; September 15th, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
September 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I feel the govt. is out of control and, sadly, many politicians on all sides are in favor of it.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
September 15th, 2012, 11:30 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
I agree. At this point, I think it makes little difference if we get the Rep or Dem as the next POTUS - they both support government intrusion and tons of government control in our lives. Until enough people say No, I will not vote for either of these people and I will not settle with voting for the "least bad" of the two - we are going to end up with the same choices.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
September 15th, 2012, 02:55 PM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The term "you can't please everybody" is probably the best you can use to describe the government, and everyone votes to suit themselves. Those voting for less funding for education are likely to have no children, vs those who have their heart invested in a higher education fund are more likely to have children. We vote for what we feel is best for ourselves usually. Some people think the government doesn't do enough, some think they do to much. Chances are- there will never be a happy median. People want gay rights and gay marriage who are in a gay relationship, and I bet if there were more openly gay politicians then there would be more rights for the gay community.
birdblue likes this.

September 16th, 2012, 04:18 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by short_n_swt View Post
The term "you can't please everybody" is probably the best you can use to describe the government, and everyone votes to suit themselves. Those voting for less funding for education are likely to have no children, vs those who have their heart invested in a higher education fund are more likely to have children. We vote for what we feel is best for ourselves usually. Some people think the government doesn't do enough, some think they do to much. Chances are- there will never be a happy median. People want gay rights and gay marriage who are in a gay relationship, and I bet if there were more openly gay politicians then there would be more rights for the gay community.

This is about the most depressing thing I've read in a while. Do you vote this way? I can guarentee you that not everyone votes this way. I would guess that many people do as we all know there are many selfish people in this world but there is a fair number of people who vote based on principles and the constitution and what they believe the federal government's job is and what the role of the govenment in our lives should be.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
September 17th, 2012, 06:17 AM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
This is about the most depressing thing I've read in a while. Do you vote this way? I can guarentee you that not everyone votes this way. I would guess that many people do as we all know there are many selfish people in this world but there is a fair number of people who vote based on principles and the constitution and what they believe the federal government's job is and what the role of the govenment in our lives should be.
That's a pretty rude question, no this is not how I vote, and not that it matters but I think our voting structure (I am in Ontario) differs from the States as well. However, it's reality. I'm sure not everyone thinks when they are voting "hey...this guy is going to help my neighbour from 8 houses down have an easier time immigrating the rest of his family to the country, so I'll vote for him". People wonder what they are going to gain from voting for xy&z.
*Jennifer* likes this.

September 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by short_n_swt View Post
That's a pretty rude question, no this is not how I vote, and not that it matters but I think our voting structure (I am in Ontario) differs from the States as well. However, it's reality. I'm sure not everyone thinks when they are voting "hey...this guy is going to help my neighbour from 8 houses down have an easier time immigrating the rest of his family to the country, so I'll vote for him". People wonder what they are going to gain from voting for xy&z.
Why is a rude question? You said everyone votes that way. I could have assumed that you yourself would be included as part of "everyone" - but instead I decided to clarify. So, basically you meant everyone but you votes to suit themselves? Is that rude too? I'm just going off what you wrote. Again, though, your response is so troublesome to me. Do you really wonder what YOU are going to gain from voting fro xy&z? You are sorely mistaken when you think everybody is so selfish. I don't smoke; I think smoke is disgusting; I hate it when people smoke around me; I don't have any close family or friends who smoke; and I like to go out to bars yet I voted against - very strongly against - the smoking ban in bars and restuarants. I personally gain nothing from my vote - I personally am much happier now that the ban has passed but I am very much against it. I am sorry you think all people are so self centered.
Tammyjh and Fluffy Baby like this.

September 17th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
It's not a sad way to think, unfortunately, short_n_swt's more spot on than you are Margaret. Many, I'd guess the majority DO vote exactly as she states. I can't prove it by posting a million links, but just read some actual political debates between average citizens and you'll likely understand her opinion and where it comes from a bit better.
In an IDEAL country more people would vote for the betterment of everyone. But we don't live in an ideal country(and no I am not saying we live in a bad country, I happen to love my country). Yes you may think it's a sad way to vote, but it IS the reality, for now. It wasn't always that way, and it certainly doesn't have to remain that way, but I'm not going to pretend my ideals are the truth when they certainly are not.

Ideally I'd like to see more people vote with EVERYONE in mind and not just themselves, their families or those they know, etc...We'd likely get a lot more accomplished and get a lot more changes in both our government and how it's run if more people did. The facts that we're not getting more done, we're going further and further into debt, more and more people are needing to be dependent on the welfare of others just to survive, etc... are all proof(and then some) that when many vote it's NOT with the big picture in mind.

Just because you vote, at least on some issues, with the big picture in mind, does not mean everyone does. I don't believe anyone who says they don't vote with the thought of "what will/can this person do for me" or "what will/can this change do for me and mine", or anything to that effect on their minds. I think anyone who claims they never think this is not only lying but even worse lying to themselves. In MOST situations we think of ours(ourselves and our loved ones) first, and then others'. It's not selfish to be that way, it's just how we work. It's instinctive to want to protect not only yourself but those closest to you. Note I didn't say all situations, as there are plenty when others will come before us.

As long as in the end you DO also think about others, imo, first thinking about yourself is not inherently bad. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the majority got that memo. So rather than thinking of self, then others, they think of self and simply vote. You can pretend they don't all you want, but that won't change things. We can only change things by trying to promote more education on the matter. Then, and only then will people really think before they clicky the pretty little buttons.
Fluffy Baby and birdblue like this.
September 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
No, I do agree with you - I do think many, or maybe even most, vote that way. i just have a problem with saying "everyone" - it really isn't everyone. It is certainly true that I think about how this or that measure will impact me personally or my family/friends etc but I do not let myself vote based on that. I think it would be wrong of me claim I stand for a certain kind of government and then - when no one can see how I vote - turn around and vote for my own personal gain. Of course I am not in the voting box with anybody else to see how they vote but I hope you are wrong about how many people vote this way AND claiming everyone votes this way (I know it wasn't you who claimed "everyone") is just not true. It has come up in coversations with friends how we all wish we could tune out or turn off our principles and vote for this or that or for a certain person and how it sucks trying not to be a hypocrite.

September 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I think the term of "everyone" may have simply been a bad choice of wording and you're focusing way too much attention to just that one word. It doesn't change the most important fact which would be that the majority do NOT vote for the betterment of the country as a whole. In my honest opinion that tidbit of information is way more important than how someone chooses to voice it.

Using the word everyone vs the word majority doesn't really make a difference for me, when it comes to this. On other topics, perhaps using one word vs another would change my stance, but this one, nah, not really. The majority making uneducated decisions during elections is as bad as everyone doing it, imo. I believe the outcome would very much be the same.

Not that my opinion is gold or anything, it just is what it is.
Sometimes one word makes a statement something completely different, sometimes it doesn't. This case, imo, it really doesn't.
September 17th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's a timely gallup poll
Majority in U.S. Still Say Government Doing Too Much
Quote:
About four in 10 Americans (39%) say the government should do more to solve the
nation's problems.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search