Log In Sign Up

Santa: fact or fiction?


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
December 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,555
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenoj View Post
I'm not going to tell anyone that they are wrong for lying to their kids. But people will tell me I'm doing it wrong for not playing Santa. That we are ruining the spirit and magic of Christmas. Their childhood is not going to be any fun. People will try to talk us out of it. I've never tried to talk anyone out of doing Santa as that is their choice even if I don't agree with it. I'm sure we are going to have a bunch of problems with them telling other kids he doesn't exist and then WE are the bad guys. But their kids, teachers, cashiers, random strangers, family, practically anyone can pretend he does exist and talk about him being real to our kids and we can't say anything about it. They can get mad for our kids not following their traditions, but we can't get mad for their kids not following our traditions because that makes us spoil sports. I know everyone talks about all these good reasons they do Santa like it being magical and fun and whatever, but in the end it is lying. You can't deny that. You are telling your kids something is true when you do not believe so, in fact you know the exact opposite is true. That's basically the definition of lying. This is what makes it different from other types of faith in my eyes. I don't think parents should tell their kids Jesus exists or whatever if they don't believe either. Other types of faith are also not so easily proved or disproved as Santa. Unless he does exist but he doesn't deliver presents?

But I personally am not a fan of faith in general. That's a topic for a different day.
I see a big difference in it though. A child has a dream, a faith, and a hope in a fat man who slides down a chimney. People come along and blast those dreams with "there is no santa, your parents are lairs."

Not believing and being told there is one, isn't dashing hopes and dreams. I really don't see the big deal to just smile and say "that's great!" Why people feel the need to crush someone's happiness I will never understand. And that's not just restricted to Holidays. You aren't lying to a child who's excited about Santa coming if you just smile and nod.

And if you don't believe in Faith, that's your choice. But I really think it's cruel to try and break someone else's, especially a small child.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Colposcopy = CIN1+CIN2 cells Polypectomy - August 21st
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Trying a few cycles of clomid and progesterone. FX this is all it takes.
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
December 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan4fate View Post
I see a big difference in it though. A child has a dream, a faith, and a hope in a fat man who slides down a chimney. People come along and blast those dreams with "there is no santa, your parents are lairs."

Not believing and being told there is one, isn't dashing hopes and dreams. I really don't see the big deal to just smile and say "that's great!" Why people feel the need to crush someone's happiness I will never understand. And that's not just restricted to Holidays. You aren't lying to a child who's excited about Santa coming if you just smile and nod.

And if you don't believe in Faith, that's your choice. But I really think it's cruel to try and break someone else's, especially a small child.
I'm not going to go around telling kids there's no Santa! I feel like just because I'm not going to tell MY children Santa is real that I'm seen as the bad guy. I'm mean, I'm going to crush people's happiness, dash their hopes and dreams, break someone's faith, tell them their parents are liars. I would never do that and have said before that I wouldn't. If other people want to pretend Santa is real for their kids that's fine. I would never tell a child Santa doesn't exist unless they asked me. Then I will say I don't believe in him because that's the truth and I'm not going to lie to your kids.

We will talk to our kids and explain that other kids believe in Santa and that it's not nice to tell them he doesn't exist. But I'm sure there will be instances it comes out because they are kids and say stuff they shouldn't sometimes. That doesn't make them bad kids or us terrible parents. That is what I have a problem with, people acting like we're going to be terrible parents because we won't play the Santa game. People acting like our Christmases won't be fun. We won't see joy on our kid's faces. Our Christmases won't be "magical". Our kids are missing out on the most awesome part of being a kid and that is because we are meanies.

My point with the lying, is that it is by definition lying to tell your children Santa exists and leaves them presents under the tree when you know full well you are the one doing it. The definition of lying is "
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive"
, which is exactly what is going on. Not all lies are bad. Some are justified and sometimes lying is the moral choice to make. So just because you lie to your kids doesn't mean you are bad parents. I don't think any of you guys are bad parents. Any hostility I have is because of the way we are treated because we won't do it, it's defensive I guess.

I also don't think letting your kids decide what they believe is lying. In fact if our own kids decide they want to believe in Santa anyway I'm not going to keep harping on the fact he doesn't exist. I won't pretend he does exist, but I won't force them to believe he doesn't either. There is a difference between trying to convince someone Santa exists (even sometimes when they already have doubts) and just letting them believe what they want.

I'm sorry I said anything at all after my first post just saying what we will do. I've been dealing with the worst cramps of my life this week and I'm also on the highest dose of Clomid you are allowed to be on so I'm sure that's making me come off worse than I mean. I'm really not trying to say you guys are doing it wrong. I just want my choice to be acceptable too. And I guess I probably took some of the things you guys have been saying the wrong way. And I do kind of take issue with saying Santa is a "belief system" and equating that to religions and stuff.
__________________

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
Reply With Quote
  #23  
December 9th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
If another person's belief system happens to include a fat dude at this time of year who spreads joy and happiness, I am all for it. Contrary if another person's belief system does not include a fat dude, I am all for it.

I don't get to decide for other families what constitutes a proper belief system, though. That is so very much an individual choice, as much as free will is, imo. Part of me would like to think it's so very wrong to believe you get to make the decision as to what constitutes a proper belief system. But the rest of me knows that maybe, just maybe, your belief that you should be able to is part of your own belief system....so who am I to judge?(you=general)
And round and round we go.

I don't believe in certain things, I have all kinds of reasons. But my non-belief in something doesn't magically change another person's belief. Or rather my non-belief does not change the fact that they feel what they believe IS their belief system-or part of it. I don't get to say "no, sorry, I don't believe in this, I believe you are lying, therefore, it's not part of any belief system, ever". Well I could, but it certainly wouldn't be very nice of me to do, lol.

This is why I think leaving the decisions when it comes to belief systems, faith, celebrations(and all that comprises them) and all these things are best left up to individuals and really shouldn't be open for judgment. It's just a merry go round of "your way is not proper, here's why", "no, your way is not proper, here's why", and in the end neither one of you is right when it's applied to the other. You're only right when your opinion is applied to you. On subjects like this there really ISN'T a right way, or wrong way. It's too individually biased.

That's why this topic intrigues me so much. It's about the only reason I like debates this time of year, especially, they can be very interesting(ok, nerd in me enjoys reading them, a lot ). This time of year people are, sometimes, more willing to discuss their belief systems. Even something as simple as Santa can bring about a philosophical discussion about faith, generally speaking.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
December 10th, 2012, 01:46 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,555
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenoj View Post
I'm not going to go around telling kids there's no Santa! I feel like just because I'm not going to tell MY children Santa is real that I'm seen as the bad guy. I'm mean, I'm going to crush people's happiness, dash their hopes and dreams, break someone's faith, tell them their parents are liars. I would never do that and have said before that I wouldn't. If other people want to pretend Santa is real for their kids that's fine. I would never tell a child Santa doesn't exist unless they asked me. Then I will say I don't believe in him because that's the truth and I'm not going to lie to your kids.

We will talk to our kids and explain that other kids believe in Santa and that it's not nice to tell them he doesn't exist. But I'm sure there will be instances it comes out because they are kids and say stuff they shouldn't sometimes. That doesn't make them bad kids or us terrible parents. That is what I have a problem with, people acting like we're going to be terrible parents because we won't play the Santa game. People acting like our Christmases won't be fun. We won't see joy on our kid's faces. Our Christmases won't be "magical". Our kids are missing out on the most awesome part of being a kid and that is because we are meanies.

My point with the lying, is that it is by definition lying to tell your children Santa exists and leaves them presents under the tree when you know full well you are the one doing it. The definition of lying is "
[COLOR=#222222]a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive"/COLOR]
, which is exactly what is going on. Not all lies are bad. Some are justified and sometimes lying is the moral choice to make. So just because you lie to your kids doesn't mean you are bad parents. I don't think any of you guys are bad parents. Any hostility I have is because of the way we are treated because we won't do it, it's defensive I guess.

I also don't think letting your kids decide what they believe is lying. In fact if our own kids decide they want to believe in Santa anyway I'm not going to keep harping on the fact he doesn't exist. I won't pretend he does exist, but I won't force them to believe he doesn't either. There is a difference between trying to convince someone Santa exists (even sometimes when they already have doubts) and just letting them believe what they want.

I'm sorry I said anything at all after my first post just saying what we will do. I've been dealing with the worst cramps of my life this week and I'm also on the highest dose of Clomid you are allowed to be on so I'm sure that's making me come off worse than I mean. I'm really not trying to say you guys are doing it wrong. I just want my choice to be acceptable too. And I guess I probably took some of the things you guys have been saying the wrong way. And I do kind of take issue with saying Santa is a "belief system" and equating that to religions and stuff.
You're entitled to do things your way, and I'm not putting you down for it. Just the way you said it made it seem like to me you don't like to play along. Your family and friends need to back off, it's your way. But at the same time, as the "parent" of a child who does believe it really sucks to have people (kids and adults) tell him "you still believe in Santa? you know it's your parents right?" I'm not going to ever tell someone THEY personally have to believe, but is it really so difficult to just keep a trap shut around a kid who does? (I'm not saying YOU do this personally)

Even people with no religion tend to have beliefs and traditions that don't have anything to do with religion of any kind.

My husband is very anti religion. But he's very pro-holidays. He doesn't care what the full meaning behind it is, his little boy's face lights up at the mention of Santa, or the Easter Bunny and cupid. That magic and happiness is what matters, and people do go around and try and dash children's happiness.

Again, not saying you specifically do, but I see a really big difference in playing along vs ruining a child's happiness. I don't believe in God, but I'm most certainly not going to tell a child that their parents are lying to them and that there really is no God.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Colposcopy = CIN1+CIN2 cells Polypectomy - August 21st
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Trying a few cycles of clomid and progesterone. FX this is all it takes.
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
December 10th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,951
I don't like it when other adults spoil it for kids, but I really don't understand the argument of other children spoiling it.

Kids don't have much of barrier between their brains and their mouthes, nothing like what an adult does, and I find it really peculiar that this is something that children are expected to play along with.

I don't know, I just don't see where this expectation comes in about the whole world having to play along with what some people choose to do.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #26  
December 10th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
I don't like it when other adults spoil it for kids, but I really don't understand the argument of other children spoiling it.

Kids don't have much of barrier between their brains and their mouthes, nothing like what an adult does, and I find it really peculiar that this is something that children are expected to play along with.

I don't know, I just don't see where this expectation comes in about the whole world having to play along with what some people choose to do.
Do you feel the same about other beliefs? Or is it just Santa, or just beliefs you don't agree with?

Take God, for example. Do you think both children, and adults should "play along"(I'm not actually all that comfortable using that phrase as I don't personally believe it applies-but I know why others do), when others choose to believe? Do you think others, grown adults and children, ought to be able to spout off about how God doesn't exist, their parents are lying to them, etc.. etc...?

You're right that children don't have much of a barrier, they lack tact. As a parent, I try to help mine create one, and learn the art of tact. Because, as I stated, I do believe that we don't get to decide for others what a proper belief system is, or isn't. We only get to decide for ourselves. That's what I teach my children. That's what helps them realize it's ok to let others believe what they want to, encouraged even, regardless of their opinion on that particular belief. Children don't have that barrier because they haven't yet learned. It's our responsibility to help them learn. Will they always be able to? Absolutely not. We can't even manage and we're grown adults, lol. But it's still our responsibility to give them the tools to make good decisions in that area, even if they don't make those good decisions.

My kids do "play along", if that's what you want to call it, with others' beliefs. No matter what those beliefs are. Did they always, or will they? Absolutely not. I had to teach them how to begin with, and I continue to teach them every day. You don't have to agree or share the belief to simply keep your opinions, or thoughts, to yourself, or at least be tactful when discussing-when it comes to others' beliefs. That's one of the leading causes in conflict, the inability to allow others their own beliefs. The notion that we get to control what beliefs others have, when they can have them, how they can express them, which are more important, etc.. etc..

I think there are lots of ways you can address another person's beliefs without trampling on your own beliefs, morals, ethics, whatever you want to call it. Take Santa. If you truly believe telling a child yes he exists, is lying. Then find a way to address the child that tramples neither of your beliefs. It's not hard, or rather shouldn't be, for adults. It's a bit trickier for kids, who haven't yet learned the art of tact. But adults, nah. We make the conscious choice not to abide by the rules of tact. It's not because we don't understand them, or haven't yet learned. It's because we make the choice to ignore what we know.

I feel the same for people who tell others that NOT sharing things such as Santa with their children, is the wrong thing to do. I don't think anyone's beliefs ought to be brought down(or attempted to) by others. I have family members that are like that too. They very strongly express their opinions about the holidays and how we ALL celebrate them. They don't much care what others' beliefs really are. They just think everyone but them is wrong. That's just as bad of an approach, imo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
December 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 3,730
We played pretend Santa with our kids. They are old enough to know now. But we did talk about how it was mean to tell other kids about it.

When I was little, we didn't do Santa, and I had NO CLUE that anyone actually seriously believed in Santa. So I was the mean one (not on purpose) that, totally without any tact at all, told everyone that it wasn't real. I have felt awful for years that I did that.

As far as the God thing, I'm atheist. We tell our kids that all sorts of people believe all sorts of different things. Everyone has a right to their beliefs and we shouldn't tell people that what they believe isn't true. It's just not nice.
__________________
Susan, dh Tom, dd Megan (14), ds Marcus (12), Our new baby Dean





I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
Reply With Quote
  #28  
December 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,951
I think religion is a whole different deal. There is a difference between someone's spiritual beliefs and a story that some parents choose to tell their children is real.

I don't believe in God but I wouldn't encourage a child to tell another child who did that he didn't exist, but then I wouldn't encourage a child to say that about Santa either, no one likes a know-it-all.

That said, I think it works both ways, as a child who got the constant "You're so stupid and you are a bad kid because Santa doesn't come from you, you're on the naughty list" I think kids who do believe should be explained to that not everyone believes, and not to be rude about it too. Tolerance works two ways.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #29  
December 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,555
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
I think religion is a whole different deal. There is a difference between someone's spiritual beliefs and a story that some parents choose to tell their children is real.

I don't believe in God but I wouldn't encourage a child to tell another child who did that he didn't exist, but then I wouldn't encourage a child to say that about Santa either, no one likes a know-it-all.

That said, I think it works both ways, as a child who got the constant "You're so stupid and you are a bad kid because Santa doesn't come from you, you're on the naughty list" I think kids who do believe should be explained to that not everyone believes, and not to be rude about it too. Tolerance works two ways.
We are working on this. We've explained that once you no longer believe in Santa, he no longer comes to your house. So kids who don't get Santa presents aren't necessarily naughty, they just don't believe in him. Also explained it's not polite to try and berate his friends into believing in Santa, that's something they have to be able to do on their own, that we respect what they believe, and just believe in what we believe ourselves. He seems to have gotten it, and we didn't get a message last week about him yelling at the kids again.

I just wish on the flip side every kid in class wasn't trying to convince him Santa wasn't real. Started last year in Kinder... wasn't expecting that at all.. Teacher says it's pretty 50/50, and the not real kids are absolutely out to convince the others there is no Santa. 2 blog posts, 2 emails and a letter home and it's not getting any better.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Colposcopy = CIN1+CIN2 cells Polypectomy - August 21st
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Trying a few cycles of clomid and progesterone. FX this is all it takes.
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
December 11th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan4fate View Post
We are working on this. We've explained that once you no longer believe in Santa, he no longer comes to your house. So kids who don't get Santa presents aren't necessarily naughty, they just don't believe in him. Also explained it's not polite to try and berate his friends into believing in Santa, that's something they have to be able to do on their own, that we respect what they believe, and just believe in what we believe ourselves. He seems to have gotten it, and we didn't get a message last week about him yelling at the kids again.

I just wish on the flip side every kid in class wasn't trying to convince him Santa wasn't real. Started last year in Kinder... wasn't expecting that at all.. Teacher says it's pretty 50/50, and the not real kids are absolutely out to convince the others there is no Santa. 2 blog posts, 2 emails and a letter home and it's not getting any better.
Unfortunately, that's, most often, a learned behavior. Not always, of course, and I'm not necessarily saying the parents of those children encourage them to convince the other kids he's not real. But they obviously don't do much to teach their children tolerance of others' beliefs, either. I'm sure there are kids who are taught tolerance, yet still try to convince other children their way of thinking IS the only right way. But I'll bet that number is much lower than the number of kids who have parents that don't teach them how to be tolerant, if not understanding of others and what they choose to believe.

It's most definitely a two way street and it goes both ways equally. Both sides have a responsibility to teach their children, imo. Both sides seem to equally not do so, though. Shame really.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
December 11th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,641
I remember 4th grade, where we were talking about Santa and stuff, and the teacher made a comment about how she hoped that no one still believed because there was no Santa. There was one boy in class that still believed and he was probably totally destroyed. I think (or would hope) that teachers are more sensitive to kids now, kinda have to be or you'll get sued
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #32  
December 11th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
I wanted to add something..shocker, eh?

THIS, is one of the reasons why I "let" my kids believe in Santa..
(again, not saying everyone else, or their beliefs is/are wrong)



She'll be 12 in April. She still believes, it's still very much magical, and it still does this to her each and every time she sees him. Again, I can't say for certain how she feels about seeing him, like, everywhere, lol. Or how that impacts her belief IN him as a person. But if believing he's real helps make this smile shine, like this, all year long..I am sooo not taking that away from her.

Yes she's painted like a cat, lol. This was from the party at my mother's MC on Saturday.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
December 12th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
I wanted to add something..shocker, eh?

THIS, is one of the reasons why I "let" my kids believe in Santa..
(again, not saying everyone else, or their beliefs is/are wrong)


She'll be 12 in April. She still believes, it's still very much magical, and it still does this to her each and every time she sees him. Again, I can't say for certain how she feels about seeing him, like, everywhere, lol. Or how that impacts her belief IN him as a person. But if believing he's real helps make this smile shine, like this, all year long..I am sooo not taking that away from her.

Yes she's painted like a cat, lol. This was from the party at my mother's MC on Saturday.
I guess this is sort of what I have a problem with. I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but when I see/hear people say this it makes it seem like the only way for children to be this happy is with Santa. They do Santa to make their children happy and they just wouldn't be as joy-filled if they knew he was fake. Not telling kids about Santa is somehow "taking this away from them". That's how it comes off. I think children can be just as happy, Christmas can be just as much fun, etc without Santa. Santa being real isn't necessary for your children to have big smiles on their faces that warms your heart.
__________________

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
Reply With Quote
  #34  
December 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenoj View Post
I guess this is sort of what I have a problem with. I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but when I see/hear people say this it makes it seem like the only way for children to be this happy is with Santa. They do Santa to make their children happy and they just wouldn't be as joy-filled if they knew he was fake. Not telling kids about Santa is somehow "taking this away from them". That's how it comes off. I think children can be just as happy, Christmas can be just as much fun, etc without Santa. Santa being real isn't necessary for your children to have big smiles on their faces that warms your heart.
Then that's simply your terrible interpretation of what I said. I never said a **** word about others not celebrating Santa being unable to have a happy holiday, or happy children at the holidays. You need to stop looking for intent to insult, when there is absolutely none there. Just because others are snotty with you about it in your life doesn't mean everyone is going to be. What I said does not in any way come across the way you interpreted it. You're projecting, and that is entirely your issue, not mine.

That's exactly why you get miffed, you find insults where no one sticks them. Because thus far, in this thread, I haven't seen a single person say "if you don't have Santa, you can't have happy", or anything even remotely close to it. I have no doubt that people in your life, and elsewhere do exactly that, tell you that you're somehow damaging children by not having this sort of belief. Or that by telling other kids there isn't a Santa, you're taking away the magic from them. I know they exist, I've seen them. They exist on both sides of the fence, too, in both camps. But that doesn't mean that everyone who does celebrate Santa, thinks like them.

I posted that pic as an example of why we do Santa, and what Santa does for MY kids. Not as an example of why others should, or why it's necessary, or anything like that. I even qualified the post as such. Yet still, you found offense. Which tells me, you were looking for it in the first place. I also never said they NEED Santa to have such smiles on their faces. Again, you're projecting your own issues. I said that this particular smile came about because of Santa and how we celebrate and I, personally, don't find a need to take that particular smile away. My children smile for all kinds of reasons. They even smile at kids and adults alike who like to think their ways are the only right ways
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
December 12th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
Then that's simply your terrible interpretation of what I said. I never said a **** word about others not celebrating Santa being unable to have a happy holiday, or happy children at the holidays. You need to stop looking for intent to insult, when there is absolutely none there. Just because others are snotty with you about it in your life doesn't mean everyone is going to be. What I said does not in any way come across the way you interpreted it. You're projecting, and that is entirely your issue, not mine.

That's exactly why you get miffed, you find insults where no one sticks them. Because thus far, in this thread, I haven't seen a single person say "if you don't have Santa, you can't have happy", or anything even remotely close to it. I have no doubt that people in your life, and elsewhere do exactly that, tell you that you're somehow damaging children by not having this sort of belief. Or that by telling other kids there isn't a Santa, you're taking away the magic from them. I know they exist, I've seen them. They exist on both sides of the fence, too, in both camps. But that doesn't mean that everyone who does celebrate Santa, thinks like them.

I posted that pic as an example of why we do Santa, and what Santa does for MY kids. Not as an example of why others should, or why it's necessary, or anything like that. I even qualified the post as such. Yet still, you found offense. Which tells me, you were looking for it in the first place. I also never said they NEED Santa to have such smiles on their faces. Again, you're projecting your own issues. I said that this particular smile came about because of Santa and how we celebrate and I, personally, don't find a need to take that particular smile away. My children smile for all kinds of reasons. They even smile at kids and adults alike who like to think their ways are the only right ways
Are you honestly saying you don't understand how passive aggressiveness works? Yes it must be just me that someone saying their kid smiles this big and they wouldn't want to take that way can come off as insinuating that not having Santa means kids don't have that smile. I know you probably didn't mean it that way, which is exactly what I said in my above post. But how do I know who thinks their way is better, vs who just likes to share pictures of kids? I have been on the internet long enough to know that people are passive aggressive and holier than thou. Kind of like your last sentence, what do you mean by that? That I think my way is the only right way? Because I have never said that at all. I don't have any problem with people pretending Santa is real as long as they follow my wishes when it comes to my child. And if you didn't mean I think my way is the only right way, why did you say it?
__________________

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
Reply With Quote
  #36  
December 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Florida
Posts: 3,556
Anyway my point was only to tell you that it can come off that way, in case you didn't know. To provide some perspective for the other side. If you don't want it to come off that way, it's really easy for it not to. Just saying something like while this works for our family, I'm sure there are other things your kids equally enjoy. Or this smile is what makes me happy with my decision, and I'm sure you'll be happy with yours as well. It's not about being right vs wrong. It's about both decisions being equal and coming with their own downfalls and gains.
__________________

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
Reply With Quote
  #37  
December 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenoj View Post
Anyway my point was only to tell you that it can come off that way, in case you didn't know. To provide some perspective for the other side. If you don't want it to come off that way, it's really easy for it not to. Just saying something like while this works for our family, I'm sure there are other things your kids equally enjoy. Or this smile is what makes me happy with my decision, and I'm sure you'll be happy with yours as well. It's not about being right vs wrong. It's about both decisions being equal and coming with their own downfalls and gains.

How did it come off that way, in your opinion, when I said nothing of the sort? Didn't even remotely hint at it. So how did you actually see that?(that's not a snotty remark, it's an honest question)

This entire thread, I've been saying the exact opposite of what it seems you saw out of that post. I assume(maybe I shouldn't, lol) that you've read my other posts. Where I've quite clearly said, countless times, I believe folks should be free to believe, celebrate and such, as they so wish. I am NOT the person who would, or does, say that people who don't do things like we are, are somehow doing it wrong or killing the happiness of the holidays for their kids. I'm the person that will go along with what others do for their families, because I feel they should be able to(and not just on the topic of Santa). I've said there is no right or wrong here. I never said I was right, or my way is right, other than it being right for us. Everyone is right, when it applies to themselves and their families. I've said as much already in this thread, more than once. Which is why I question how you could possibly get what you did out of what I said. That's where projection comes into play. You run into it elsewhere and are applying it here, where it's not applicable.

I DID qualify my post by specifically stating that this is something that makes MY child happy, and why. So, like I said, I can't see how it could come off that way. It would seem you either chose to ignore what I actually said, or wrongly assumed what I meant based on how others treat this topic. I'm not others, and not everyone is going to treat the topic the same way some people you have come across have, do, and will. Some of us truly are neutral. I happen to be one of them. Just because I celebrate a certain way doesn't mean I can't find merit in what others do. But, I've already said that.

Yes there are idiots who think their way is the right way, and the only way, and everyone else is wrong. No I don't think you're one of them, nor did I say so. Actually I don't think most people here are, not on this topic anyway, lol. The last sentence was a continuance of something I said earlier about teaching our children tolerance. I do teach them, therefore they are able to face the people who think their belief in Santa is stupid, with a smile. Because they know that not everyone believes the same things they do, and that's a-ok in my book(and theirs).
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0