2nd grade teacher makes kids pay for bathroom breaks

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Sadly, I read the comments on the article too. Really wish I had not.
I think it is a bit much that so many people think this teacher is a horrible person and needs to be fired. Really? How many parents have NEVER told their child that they would have to wait to use the bathroom? As far as not peeing on a schedule, I'm sure you actually do take every opportunity to go when you know you are going to be in meetings or whatever. And have probably made your children go to go to the bathroom anyway in response to a "but I don't need to go".
mrsmckenzie1 likes this.
May 14th, 2013, 08:11 PM
mrsmckenzie1's Avatar Veteran
As a 5th year second grade teacher myself and a mother to 2 first graders and a third grader I must say that I can assume why the teacher put that in place. In second grade you do not have a big issue with students skipping class, but with students playing in the bathroom and avoiding work yes. The class has 3 scheduled bathroom breaks which i am assuming at the beginning of the day, after lunch and closer to dismissal. the average school day for students is about 6 hours. What happens much of the time is that students skip there athroom break by saying they don't have to go or simply going in talking with friends and coming out, not saying all children buty yes a great majority.
Now experience as a teacher will teach you not to say no because it typically will come back to bite you however, I do mark on a clipboard each time a student request to go to the bathroom as well as how long they are gone. This is not becasue I am being inconsiderate of the student but because majority of the students that go several times through the day are also your behavior problems and failing students. For a regular 6 hour day where 30 min is in lunch and 45 min is in specials with another 30 min reserved for 3 scheduled bathroom breaks. You are only down to 4 hours and 15 minutes and that does not include dismissals transition times class interuptions etc. Content is the primary purpose of school. If content time is taken by individual students in the bathroom and the teacher must go back and reteach or worse not and that student or other students miss valuable instruction, the article will be about a whole other issue.
As parent I 100% UNDERSTAND THE FRUSTRATIONS and anger that is wanting to be pressed upon this teacher at the same time, looking at it from another perspective, suspending a first year teacher for WANTING to have the child present in the classroom to receive instruction is a quality many teachers are lacking these days. many celebrate the days they missed and send students to the bathroom for peace of mind. I say KUDOS to her for at least trying and the course of action that should be taken against her is maybe some professional development on student sensitivity or even classroom management.

August 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Keepin' it real!
Actually, it's a pretty darn good idea so long as it's not real USD.

Here's why:
Kids that DO NOT really have to go are not necessarily going to want to use their "dollars" while kids that DO really really have to go will fork it over. You'll weed out the kids who want to play around and know which ones are pretty serious about having to go.

If this were me, I'd do like one of the PP's do. I'd also do a "buy back" system for those I know really did have to go and weren't screwing around. So if they came back within 3 minutes, full "refund". Kind of thing... So the $$ they paid would be more like a held deposit, like a hotel does to ensure people don't trash their place.

Now I would not do this for K-3 because I doubt they understand money enough to be able to comprehend the idea. But anything after 3rd grade? They can start being a little more responsible.

Either way, if kids were obeying the rules in the first place, teachers would not have to come up with clever ideas to make sure they ARE following the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyBeGood View Post
I think it is a bit much that so many people think this teacher is a horrible person and needs to be fired. Really? How many parents have NEVER told their child that they would have to wait to use the bathroom? As far as not peeing on a schedule, I'm sure you actually do take every opportunity to go when you know you are going to be in meetings or whatever. And have probably made your children go to go to the bathroom anyway in response to a "but I don't need to go".
ITA! I have definitely done this. Before we leave the house we have EVERYONE go potty, even if they 'don't have to' they have to try.I can't pull over every time someone has to pee! And I work so I know that my boss would not appreciate me just leaving whenever to go potty! Especially since I go very frequently. I have to go when I get a break.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
August 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyBeGood View Post
I think it is a bit much that so many people think this teacher is a horrible person and needs to be fired. Really? How many parents have NEVER told their child that they would have to wait to use the bathroom? .
Yes, I have told my kids that they would have to wait but that's only when we're nowhere near a bathroom. However, there was a bathroom nearby and in not allowing this little boy to use the bathroom, he wet his pants. Whether he used the scheduled times appropriately or not, I think its mean to make a child wet his/her pants when the bathroom is next door or down the hall.

I do not think the teacher is a "horrible person" and I do not think she needs to be fired or suspended but I do think she was wrong.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
February 20th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran
I would be really upset My 6 year old has over active bladder. She still wets at night. She goes to the bathroom often during the day. It gets better with each year but I would be so mad if someone did this to her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search