Reborn dolls, Cool/Creepy/thoughts?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MzzMommaD
  • 1 Post By butterfly721
  • 1 Post By *Leslie*
  • 1 Post By My2miracles

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
I did a quick search but find where this had been done before...

Have you ever seen a reborn doll? Do you think they are cool or creepy or a combination of both? They vary so much from artist to artist, but this is the most realistic I've ever seen. Scroll right down to see all the pics... Oh and you can't miss the price!

SELENA SAXTON resale REBORN DOLL GIRL NOAH by RevaSchick LAYAWAY AVAILABLE | eBay

Some people make these because they love the craft, and you can make money. Some people buy them and have whole nurseries for them, and actually push them around in strollers and change them multiple times a day. A bit strange...

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
January 11th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For an adult, I think it's creepy & really weird. That being said, my 10 year old has one. She likes fooling people. My dh actually got kudos for taking out the newborn & my dd while giving mommy rest

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
January 11th, 2013, 11:48 AM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
Those are incredibly detailed! They look real! That said, they are a bit creepy
MindyRambo likes this.

January 12th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
For an adult, I think it's creepy & really weird. That being said, my 10 year old has one. She likes fooling people. My dh actually got kudos for taking out the newborn & my dd while giving mommy rest
If you don't mind me asking, was your daughters very expensive? I'm thinking about trying my hand at making them. Well, starting with one anyway, and seeing where it takes me. I'm always looking for new crafts. When I originally heard of these dolls, I thought it was a company that made them. I had no idea you could buy the "kits" and reborn the dolls yourself. Seems like they would be very fun to make.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
January 14th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Audrey's Aunt Amanda's Avatar Not a mommy yet.
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
Julia, check out this ladies youtube channel. She post videos with step by step on making a reborn.

PLUMCOSM
Purple Plums, just one more helping
Just SOME of my favorite names!

January 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindyRambo View Post
If you don't mind me asking, was your daughters very expensive? I'm thinking about trying my hand at making them. Well, starting with one anyway, and seeing where it takes me. I'm always looking for new crafts. When I originally heard of these dolls, I thought it was a company that made them. I had no idea you could buy the "kits" and reborn the dolls yourself. Seems like they would be very fun to make.
I don't mind. Her newborn was $200. I've seen them run as high as $1,000. She wants a reborn toddler & they run from $650-$2,000. (I'm so not paying $2,000 for one )

Do a search on ebay & you'll see the ranges.

April 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I must admit that I have two reborn baby dolls and I love them. I have a boy and a girl. I got them off eBay. They are both by the same artist. DH says I cannot have any more for now because they were each quite expensive, although not quite so expensive as the link to the one you showed.

I do not change them or pretend to feed them or take them on outings in strollers. I do like to hold them and carry them around the house sometimes, though. I'm well aware of the fact that they are not real babies.
April 3rd, 2013, 04:40 AM
Cool! I got one too, because I'm learning how to make them, and I figured I had to have one to see the details for myself. I don't do much with it either, it's mostly a conversation piece. Crappy picture, but this is mine.

April 3rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
Mindy, adorable! I will have to try to figure out how to post a picture of mine. I think that one of my favorite things about the reborn dolls is that they are weighted to feel like real babies. So when you hold them, they sort of do feel a bit real.
MindyRambo likes this.
April 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need one so I can use the carpool lane when Billy isn't in the car with me!
April 4th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Jen, that is exactly what my friend said. She wants to get a carseat so we can drive in the carpool lane lol.

April 4th, 2013, 10:01 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since there is already a carseat in the car, I am 1/2 way there! Score!
April 13th, 2013, 11:28 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I think they are pretty cool. I don't understand actually pretending they are real as adults, but having them as collectibles and showpieces I totally understand.
MindyRambo likes this.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 September 30th, 2014

April 17th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Hey Leslie! Long time no talk! I'm trying and failing miserably at keeping this board alive... So lonely around here... No one posts anymore!

April 18th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i have 5 of them they are collectables to me, i dress them for pictures and do photo shoots with them, i have taken them in public to get reactions , they are cool

April 22nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
We all of them made by the same artists? Some of them don't look like reborns. Very cute

April 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My dd just got her 2nd one. Her 1st one is a newborn & got some reactions. But this new 1 is 4-6 month old baby. Dang that thing looks real! We freaked out a woman at the Wendy's drive thru the other day. We didn't have the "baby" in a car seat & she started to freak out - then she realized it wasn't real
mommy_to_nico likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindyRambo View Post
We all of them made by the same artists? Some of them don't look like reborns. Very cute
2 are from paradise galleries oops forgot to mention that the boy and lil girl with blue eyes that on the shelf. no, i made one of the them and others were made by various artists in usa and UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
My dd just got her 2nd one. Her 1st one is a newborn & got some reactions. But this new 1 is 4-6 month old baby. Dang that thing looks real! We freaked out a woman at the Wendy's drive thru the other day. We didn't have the "baby" in a car seat & she started to freak out - then she realized it wasn't real
i've taken mine out and they were impressed and wanted to hold them, but i don't let anyone b/c they are collectables.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search