Beauty pageants and child modeling...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The JonBenet case got me thinking...WDYT of beauty pageants? Is this a kind of child abuse? Is it blatant exploitation? At what age do you think it is appropriate to put a child in one? I have some strong feelings about this but I'm going to hold off on that, I want to hear some other opinions first...

Edit: I'm ammending this question to include "child modeling" This is erotic modeling by children for photographs or videos. It is distributed commercially or freely, in magazines or over the Internet.

This is the wikepedia definition of erotic child modeling:

Child modeling has become a more widespread phenomenon with the rise of the Internet and Usenet, and there are now many websites offering non-nude or nude photographs and videos of underage teens or preteens, usually girls, to subscribers. While some non-nude sites focus on non-erotic modeling, erotic non-nude sites may feature models in a variety of clothing types, including dresses, bikinis, nightgowns, or undergarments only.
August 19th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Child modeling is different than pageants. pageants the girls are made up to look fake, unreal little sl&s where as modeling if you mean like JC Penny, Gerber kids are very different they are not forced to look like little hookers they are meant to look like real kids who are showing of a product.[/b]
There are different classifications of child modeling. What I'm referring to is known as erotic child modeling. Here is a link to one of the sites so that you can see what I mean **WARNING** although these sites do not show nudity, they show young girls in provocative poses. I was truly disturbed by this and you might be too, so click the link at your own risk

LINK

(Mods please tell me if you want me to take the link down...I don't want to upset anyone, I just think this is an issue that needs to be brought to light.)

Last edited by emily430; August 26th, 2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Community complaints about link
August 19th, 2006, 10:33 AM
mrobinson
CherylE~ PM sent.. 'cause that's the cutiest little pic ever...

Quote:
WDYT of beauty pageants? Is this a kind of child abuse? Is it blatant exploitation? At what age do you think it is appropriate to put a child in one? I have some strong feelings about this but I'm going to hold off on that, I want to hear some other opinions first...

Edit: I'm ammending this question to include "child modeling" This is erotic modeling by children for photographs or videos. It is distributed commercially or freely, in magazines or over the Internet.

This is the wikepedia definition of child modeling:

Child modeling has become a more widespread phenomenon with the rise of the Internet and Usenet, and there are now many websites offering non-nude or nude photographs and videos of underage teens or preteens, usually girls, to subscribers. While some non-nude sites focus on non-erotic modeling, erotic non-nude sites may feature models in a variety of clothing types, including dresses, bikinis, nightgowns, or undergarments only.
[/b]
I don't think kids should ever be posed or dressed sexually.. I don't think makeup is appropriate for any child in single digital age... I don't understand why any mom would tease a girl's hair like that.. To me, that is blatant exploitation. It makes me sad that because we do live in a free society we choose to dress our infants and babies that way. And why is it mainly girls if it's not sexual exploitation?

As for child modeling... well there a huge difference between an infant in a huggies commerical compared to a child in a beauty pagent. I just hope the parents are saving the money earned for the child's education.
August 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
CherylE~ PM sent.. 'cause that's the cutiest little pic ever...

Quote:
WDYT of beauty pageants? Is this a kind of child abuse? Is it blatant exploitation? At what age do you think it is appropriate to put a child in one? I have some strong feelings about this but I'm going to hold off on that, I want to hear some other opinions first...

This is the wikepedia definition of child modeling:

[/b]
I don't think kids should ever be posed or dressed sexually.. I don't think makeup is appropriate for any child in single digital age... I don't understand why any mom would tease a girl's hair like that.. To me, that is blatant exploitation. It makes me sad that because we do live in a free society we choose to dress our infants and babies that way. And why is it mainly girls if it's not sexual exploitation?

As for child modeling... well there a huge difference between an infant in a huggies commerical compared to a child in a beauty pagent. I just hope the parents are saving the money earned for the child's education.
[/b]
Look at the second post I made....I wasn't talking about that kind of modeling...I'm talking about the exploitative kind
August 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM
mrobinson
LINK

I reported, not to JM but here.

Quote:
There are different classifications of child modeling. What I'm referring to is known as erotic child modeling. Here is a link to one of the sites so that you can see what I mean **WARNING** although these sites do not show nudity, they show young girls in provocative poses. I was truly disturbed by this and you might be too, so click the link at your own risk[/b]
Why would erotic child modeling ever be ok?

Last edited by emily430; August 26th, 2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Community complaints about link
August 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I don't agree with the child modeling. Beauty pageants...only if the child wants to be involved. I think "cutest baby" pageants are okay. Since obvioulsy, my baby would WIN!!!

August 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
LINK

I reported, not to JM but here.

Quote:
There are different classifications of child modeling. What I'm referring to is known as erotic child modeling. Here is a link to one of the sites so that you can see what I mean **WARNING** although these sites do not show nudity, they show young girls in sexually provocative poses. I was truly disturbed by this and you might be too, so click the link at your own risk[/b]
Why would erotic child modeling ever be ok?
[/b]
I know it's never ok...EVER. But it's still totally legal. Why?

Thanks for reporting it...I will too. This needs to be illegal.

Last edited by emily430; August 26th, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Community complaints about link
August 19th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Deena's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That site is a pedophiles way around the law... it's SICK!

Our boy, James!! Born February 18, 2006!! xoxoxoxox
August 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
But it's still totally legal. Why?[/b]
Quote:
It makes me sad that because we do live in a free society we choose to dress our infants and babies that way. And why is it mainly girls if it's not sexual exploitation?[/b]
August 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Absolutely disgusting, these parents should be totally ashamed.

August 19th, 2006, 08:43 PM
kadydid
I don't understand why people do this to their children.

FTR I hate it when people call little girls sl&ts. It is not their fault their mother sniffed too much aqua net.
August 19th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Super Mommy
Disgusting!! I would never let my child do an like one of those. What kind of parent would?

If my child was old enough to voice there opionion on wether they wanted to be in an ad like for target or ect sometime I would allow it. I would let them join a pagent if THEY wanted to and only after they had experience in not so demanding jobs. It would never be something I would push onto my child though.
August 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
It is not their fault their mother sniffed too much aqua net.[/b]
August 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
wow I find that site utterly repulsive & disturbing

August 21st, 2006, 02:23 AM
Anne07Nov05's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel sick after seeing that. I cannot believe the ads at the bottom of that page. How can there be so many parents that exploit their children like this??? I don't even know what to say right now, I am so disgusted and upset.

Quote:
LINK

I reported, not to JM but here.[/b]
Thank you for the link. I reported that site, as well.

Back to the initial question:

Erotic child modeling is completely wrong, no ifs and or buts about it. I don't think I even need to explain why. I know this is a debate board, but surely every single person here can agree that it is NEVER okay to sexually exploit children.

Non-erotic child modeling and beauty pageants: This gets a bit murkier. I think they are fine in moderation. Like a PP said, it's one thing to put your baby in a Huggies commercial. I also think there are some children's pageants that are probably okay, and I can understand why some parents hope to make money (from the pageants) that they can put toward college savings for their children. In excess, though, I think that both child modeling and beauty pageants can have devastating effects. The children may feel too much pressure to be the best, or may develop self-image problems. The parents may become so caught up in making sure their children look perfect that they forget about what really matters (love, compassion, mental growth, education, health, positive self-image).

Has anyone seen any of the Oprah or Dr. Phil shows that talk about this? They show parents who have taken it way too far. I am sure that plenty of parents are able to put their child in pageants or modeling without going to such extremes, though, so I'm not going to lump all parents who choose to do these activities into one category. Hey, if a talent agent walked up to me and offered to put my child on the cover of Parenting magazine, I wouldn't hesitate, LOL. I have no desire to put my son in pageants, though. It seems too risky to get caught up in it, plus I'm simply not interested in that sort of thing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search