Is this right to do. Use up unemployment benefits

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
Lets say you loose your job. Either to firing or lay off. You go on unemployment. Well usually in our state if your fired you don't get unemployment. Not unless there are certain circumstances of the firing. But if your layed off you get it no questions asked. They always say you must be actively looking for work while your on it. Example. My bil got fired in late summer around August I think. His firing was his own fault. He did something that was a no no by company policy. He was a delivery driver person for office furniture in our area. On that day before he was fired. He was asked to make a delivery about an hour and a half out of town. Well he'd drive as far as an hour or so away regular with deliveries. This delivery was to take most the day as he had a couple of stops in this city to go to before returning. He figured no one would know if he took his dd's with him on that delivery. That when he got back to town he'd drop the kids off at home. Take the truck back to work no one knowing nothing. Someone did as now he was fired.

Bil figured he's mad at the company for firing him. So he's going to fight for the unemployment. Got it. I guess maybe because the state seen he has kids to provide for. To anger his former work. (as jobs have to pay into unemployement for their employees)He figured on milking the benefits. Not look to hard for work till his bennies were almost used up. Which is about now. We can get up to 6 months unemployment. They used to make you prove you looked for work. But now the whole system went automated. You don't see anyone from the unemployment office. It's all done on the phone. You punch in your ss number answer the questions via the phone also. One of the questions is have you actively searched for work. As we may ask for proof at a later date. They never do ask for proof. Dh was on it several years back after being layed off and never had to show proof. I think unemployement should only be taken as long as your truely looking hard for a new job for as long as it takes to find that job. Or till benefits run out. I think they need to ask for more proof you did the active work search. I remember years they'd give you a sheet. Everytime you applied for a job. You had to ask that prospective employer to sign saying you applied for or asked for a job. That you were expected to apply for a selected number of jobs per week. They would ask for that sheet back as proof you looked for work.
February 9th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree!!

My Mother (who I don't really get along with) was laid off from her job a few weeks before Xmas. It was supposed to be temporary, so she filed for unemployment until there was more work. Now she knows she's not going back, there just isn't enough work. I asked her if she was looking for another job now. She just kinda shruged her shoulders. She said she still has 10 months of umemployment. UGH! That is NOT what the system is there for! I hate people who milk it for all it's worth, then people who REALLY need it, but hate to ask for the help, get nothing.

So yes, ITA! If you need unemployment, that's great, that's what it's there for, but if you CAN work, you should be looking for a job. Period.

The only reason my mother even went back to work is because I ran away and she lost her welfare check....which she collected for 3 months after I was gone before she reported it.... don't even get me started on THAT rant.

</div>
February 9th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I don't have a problem with people using up their unemployment benefits. And I think the "general" rule is that if people quit their job they may be ineligible...if they are fired, they're eligible. Even if it's of their "own doing".

You have to consider some things. (speaking from experience here). What is the job market like? I know when I was on unemployment (it took 7 months to find another job) I was making only HALF of what my original paycheck was. So I doubt that people are really "milking" the system (I know...some may be). But I would send out at LEAST 10 resumes per day. PER DAY and still hear nothing back. And I had a Bachelor's Degree. This was over the months of November through June. Not typically the time of year most employers are looking. Could I have taken a "temporary" job at a retail store? Sure. But that would have probably paid less than my unemployment benefits...and taken time away from my availability to look for a "career" type job. I can understand someone holding out for a good paying job and using up their unemployment.

I did most of my filing etc online...so what you'd call "automated". However, I was STILL required to go TO THE OFFICE once a month to talk to them. Here, the unemployment is up to a certain dollar amount. I think it's either 11 months or when you hit your maximum benefit...whichever comes first.

February 9th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
but Amber, trying to get a job, and not suceeding, compared to NOT looking at all because you have a year of unemployment is not the same!

February 9th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
but Amber, trying to get a job, and not suceeding, compared to NOT looking at all because you have a year of unemployment is not the same![/b]
I realize that. But just because someone isn't out "pounding the pavement" does NOT mean they aren't looking. The OP suggested that people should once again be forced to prove they've looked. A majority of employers won't let you just come to the business and apply for a job (not the kinds of jobs I was looking for anyway). I would fax or email resumes. Other than Ccing the email to myself...what proof would I have that I sent it? And I could send 10 emails per day and have it take 2 hours. Is that sufficient? IF others hadn't known I was emailing my resume...they may have thought (incorrectly) that I wasn't looking.

February 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
But you were actively looking for a job. Hence using the benifits for what they are meant for. It's insurance while you can't find employment. I mean for people who simply don't work because they are getting paid for doing nothing, and they are riding it out till the benifits run out and they HAVE to work. Everyone does it around here. Hence "milking" the system. They have no intention of looking for a job, just collecting a check.

I could have gotten unemployment when we moved back here, but I took a "temporary" retail job. why? because there is no good reason why I can't work. I'm not making much more then I would on unemployment, but I will, as I'm moving up in the store.

Everyone I know asks why I'm not home on unemployment....because I can work.

Though if I would have made more on unemployment rather than working, I would have thought long and hard about it. You have to do what's best for your family.

</div>
February 9th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Though if I would have made more on unemployment rather than working, I would have thought long and hard about it. You have to do what's best for your family.[/b]
This is the point I was trying to make initially. If the person collecting was pulling a good paycheck before getting fired/laid off etc, then chances are that unemployment does not equal (or in some cases even come close) to what they were being paid prior. So why should that person take the "first job that comes" just becuase its a job and there's no reason they can't "work". Maybe they're looking for a job with benefits or good pay or good hours etc.

I just think that becuase it may appear someone isn't "actively" looking doens't mean they aren't looking.

February 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Though if I would have made more on unemployment rather than working, I would have thought long and hard about it. You have to do what's best for your family.[/b]
This is the point I was trying to make initially. If the person collecting was pulling a good paycheck before getting fired/laid off etc, then chances are that unemployment does not equal (or in some cases even come close) to what they were being paid prior. So why should that person take the "first job that comes" just becuase its a job and there's no reason they can't "work". Maybe they're looking for a job with benefits or good pay or good hours etc.

I just think that becuase it may appear someone isn't "actively" looking doens't mean they aren't looking.
[/b]
I agree. My mom got fired by the office supervisor while the doctor/practice owner was on vaccation. She wouldn't tell her why she was fired, or anything. And the doctor couldn't even get a reason why from the office supervisor why she fired her so her unemployeement got approved. My brother is disabled and she was a single parent. She sent out many resumes and went to staffing agencies, etc but no luck. To get er check though all she had to do was say she was looking for work on an online forum. And if she didn't find work why, and you could just type any bogous reason.

She was capable of working, but needed to make a certain amout monthly so she couldn't just take any 'ol job. A mall job isn't going to pay what a nurse gets paid nor have the benifits she needed for my brother. Her unemployeement was about about 3/4 what she got paid. And she needed to keep my brother on his meds and seeing his doctor, and have food, etc. Thankfully, she rented from my grandpa and was able to pay rent at another time, or she probably would have been evicted.
February 9th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I agree. My mom got fired by the office supervisor while the doctor/practice owner was on vaccation. She wouldn't tell her why she was fired, or anything. And the doctor couldn't even get a reason why from the office supervisor why she fired her so her unemployeement got approved. My brother is disabled and she was a single parent. She sent out many resumes and went to staffing agencies, etc but no luck. To get er check though all she had to do was say she was looking for work on an online forum. And if she didn't find work why, and you could just type any bogous reason.

She was capable of working, but needed to make a certain amout monthly so she couldn't just take any 'ol job. A mall job isn't going to pay what a nurse gets paid nor have the benifits she needed for my brother. Her unemployeement was about about 3/4 what she got paid. And she needed to keep my brother on his meds and seeing his doctor, and have food, etc. Thankfully, she rented from my grandpa and was able to pay rent at another time, or she probably would have been evicted.[/b]

And THESE are the reasons why is great that we have unemployment. People who use them for what they are ment for.

</div>
February 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think unemployment varies by state. My understanding is that here, it is max at 26wks and NO one qualifies for more than $362 per week....that is the cap. There is a job search website for everyone collecting unemployment & your resume must be posted & if anyone offers you a job you must take it....or lose benefit. Here employers pay into what is called unemployment insurance. Some business tend to have higher rates of unemployment, so their insurance rates are higher, but they do not pay out for each individual that is on unemployment, Just to be clear too - in our state we pay into our own unemployment while working so the amount you receive is actually based on what you have paid in.

I have no clue how other states work. I do know here you can't really ride it out all that easily - they expect you to attempt to be employed. On the other hand - as far as I understand the most recent studies say my state has the highest unemployment rate in the US - and I am betting it is because of the auto industry going down.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

February 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Tofu Bacon
I cannot imagine an honest, hard-working person with kids to feed who would scrape by on half their salary, just to get back at their former employer. There will always be dishonest people out there to take advantage, no matter how reformed the system.
February 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
In MD you have to have 5 job contacts a week to continue to recieve benefits, and you cannot turn down any reasonable job offer extended to you or you become ineligible. And they do check your contacts to make sure you aren't just making it up.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search