BF & Medical Marijuana

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Snowboardingfairy's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok, here's a debate- mothers who are medical marijuana recipients breastfeeding their babies. On one hand I've heard women say that even if the THC were in the breastmilk, it's still better for the baby than formula, and way safer than any prescription narcotic they could take and pass through their breastmilk. On the other hand I know others must think this is crazy and just put your baby on formula. I haven't heard statistics on this subjuct and was curious what info/debate you have to offer.
March 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM
mrobinson
Tough one. I would go with formula despite the reasons I can see why this is possible to sit on the fence with. It would be different if medical marijuana recipients could get it completely legally but since they can't ~ formula.
April 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Snowboardingfairy's Avatar Super Mommy
Come on people, you're obviously looking, what do YOU think?
April 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
mrobinson
My opinion comes from MJ threads we've had.. I can't justify habitual user's actions and the child endangerment cause by illegal activity because they smoke up. If it was all perfect legal product, safely obtained, I might think about it differently.
April 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The question should be a matter of how much of it comes out in BM, the effects of it on the baby, and the benefit to the mother the same as any other medical drug. I have no idea the data on those questions, which is why I don't have a real opinion.[/b]
Same here.
If mom can take something harmless, then she should. And continue breastfeeding.

April 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
It would depend. I couldn't find any information on the half-life of smoking a marijuana cigarette, so I'd have to see that before I could make my debate lol

But, if smoking pot effects breastmilk in the same way that cigarettes do (where there's a "half life", and the nicotine/pot doesn't stick around to affect the baby after X amount of hours) then I wouldn't see a reason why a mom would be encouraged to stop breastfeeding - unless she was smoking the pot AROUND the child. If marijuana sticks in the milk like cocaine does, then I'd probably say switch to formula.
April 3rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
donomama
I think she should use formula - same as any other medication she may be on that is unsafe for a nursing baby.
April 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
My opinion comes from MJ threads we've had.. I can't justify habitual user's actions and the child endangerment cause by illegal activity because they smoke up. If it was all perfect legal product, safely obtained, I might think about it differently.[/b]
I really don't have an opinion on this other than my opinion of marijuana in general which doesn't belong on here. I really don't understand though what the legality has to do with switching to formula. If the problem is in the obtaining of the drug, that will happen whether the baby is bf or ff. If they are going to be in that situation anyway, how is ff going to make them any better off? I'm not trying to be rude, I just really don't see that line of thinking and would like you to explain it better so I can.

BTW, there are lots of people who do get medical marijuana legally. I worked in a neurological rehab hospital before I became a SAHM, and had lot of patients who got little pills of concentrated THC. Plus there are several states, AZ where I used to live being one, where up to two ounces of weed is only a very minor offense which you can only get a ticket for.

The question should be a matter of how much of it comes out in BM, the effects of it on the baby, and the benefit to the mother the same as any other medical drug. I have no idea the data on those questions, which is why I don't have a real opinion.
[/b]
I live in Canada where we are supposed to have government raised and passed out MJ.. but if you look up Grant Krieger you'll find the law is so full of laws against having marijuana even medicinal-marijuana and police willing to enforce them, that even people who would be willing to pay minor tickets get criminal records and legal issues due to these issues.

As for data about mj, I know if you google marijuana breastfeeding, you find lots of information that support bf anyway. Because many recipients of government sponsored pot have felt the product was not strong enough, they felt the need to find it from illegal sources.. Stuff that can't be regulated and is connected with illegal activity..

Until we have advanced our stocks and gotten rid of the legal loopholes that cops enforce, I will have to support formula.
April 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think she should breastfeed but I am well aware that my thoughts on marijuana in general are rare here.

I know there are a lot of people here that think formula is somehow better than breastmilk even if you only smoke cigerattes so i doubt they are gonna think that marijuana laced breastmilk is acceptable.
April 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
But, if smoking pot effects breastmilk in the same way that cigarettes do (where there's a "half life", and the nicotine/pot doesn't stick around to affect the baby after X amount of hours) then I wouldn't see a reason why a mom would be encouraged to stop breastfeeding - unless she was smoking the pot AROUND the child. If marijuana sticks in the milk like cocaine does, then I'd probably say switch to formula.[/b]
I think I agree with this the most. I do worry about the smoke also, if its being smoked. I dont know enough to make an informed desision though. I think if your in doubt though, formula feed.
April 20th, 2007, 04:09 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I think she should breastfeed but I am well aware that my thoughts on marijuana in general are rare here.[/b]
Well, I'm not anti-MJ.. so I have to ask, would you just recommend home grown plants only? If you do, what if the police find out? If you don't, how do you control the stock you're getting? How do you justify obtaining it as it would likely be through illegal means?
May 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
barefeet's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not anti -MJ, but I don't know where I stand on this. It would depend on how often the person is taking/ smoking it. If it's every day I'd probably say switch to formula. If use was moderate, like every once in a while for severe symptoms, then I don't think it would be that harmful. I'm not an expert though.

<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">Thanks Jessica for all of my adorable siggies!</span>
May 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well, I'm not anti-MJ.. so I have to ask, would you just recommend home grown plants only? If you do, what if the police find out? If you don't, how do you control the stock you're getting? How do you justify obtaining it as it would likely be through illegal means?[/b]
I think growing it yourself would be the best idea. It really is the only way you can know exactly what you are getting.

I can't justify obtaining it through illegal means or would I even try. It is ridiculous that it is illegal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search