You Don't Need A Birth Plan

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Pure Innocence
You find out your are pregnant. Congratz!! You make your Dr. appt with an OBGYN, and on the first visit you are told you don't need a birth plan, that they are silly, unecessary, and they never work.

What do you do?
April 26th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I was told this, not by my OBGYN but by a nurse. I made one anyway and it was one of the first things I gave to the staff when I got to the hospital. I made it and my DH approved it too so we were in agreement about what was to happen and he would have been my voice to make sure it was followed if I were unconscious.
April 26th, 2007, 01:37 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Quote:
You find out your are pregnant. Congratz!! You make your Dr. appt with an OBGYN, and on the first visit you are told you don't need a birth plan, that they are silly, unecessary, and they never work.

What do you do?[/b]
Find a midwife!

</MARQUEE>
April 26th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually,that has been my case twice.With my son I asked about that (because in England they do use birth plans in most hospitals,so I assmued they did here too) and I was told that you cant have a plan for something as unpredictable as birth.
In my sons case,that was true.I had a hemorage when I was almost 8 months along,and my son was born premature via emergency c-section..so If I had had a plan,it would have gone out the window.
With my daughter,I was told the same thing..that you cant plan a birth due to it being so unpredictable.
Towwards the end,my doctor did plan to induce me though..It was Friday and I was 2 weeks over due,so he told me to go back on the monday and we went over the plan.
Again,his plan went out the window when I went into labour on Sunday night
I do think a birth plan is silly now.
I also think that although prenatal classes are fun (I went to them both pregnancies) its a waste of time these days,because with the epidural you dont need all that breathing,and without it,you dont remember how to breathe because of the pain lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

April 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM
irishxrose
I'd be finding a new OB or a midwife!
April 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM
mommyofdani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyofdani
I would be getting a new ob or midwife, too.

April 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I would make one anyway and give it to anyone at the hospital that I could find, plus the doctor and all his staff at my next appointment! In my case, I really didn't need to take the time to make the birth plan, b/c I had an emergency c/s without laboring and all of my planning went right out the window!
April 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Birth plans are not written in stone. It is a given that if something arises medically that makes it necessary to put the birth plan aside, it will be put aside. But I would not want a provider who was not interested in at least discussing my birth plan with me. I would find someone else!

April 26th, 2007, 02:08 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I never had a written birth plan. I just go with gut feeling.
April 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I typed out a birth plan, then left it at home when we went to the hospital. I'm more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of girl anyhow.

April 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
mrobinson
Quote:

What do you do?[/b]
Find a new OBGYN/midwife or consider homebirth if possible because those words do not respect the labouring mom nor the pre-baby inside her.
April 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you want a birth plan, make one anyway and give it to the dr/midwife/nurse when the time comes. It's not like they're not going to accept it. I bet they're just suggesting that you don't need a birth plan for reasons others put on here.

I don't think you need one, but that's just from my experiences.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

April 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
I typed out a birth plan, then left it at home when we went to the hospital. I'm more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of girl anyhow.[/b]
LMAO me too! I revised that sucker like 5 times, had multiple copies ready, and then on the day we found out I was having an emergency c/s we were so freaked and ran around the house like madmen trying to get ready and forgot the darn birth plan
April 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Quote:
Find a new OBGYN/midwife or consider homebirth if possible because those words do not respect the labouring mom nor the pre-baby inside her.[/b]

In the end, I chose not to even have a birth plan, but that attitude of disrespect and not caring my opinion - whether s/he used those exact words or not - is not what I want out of my prenatal care.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Find a new OB or midwife, like the others said - not because of the birth plan thing (I don't think I'll ever make one again), but because of how it was said to you.
April 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
go on about my business bc birth plans are not NECCISARY. They are something that some people choose to do.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

April 26th, 2007, 03:46 PM
mommyofdani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyofdani
For those of you that feel birthplans are not necessary, would you want a doctor or midwife who dismisses your wishes right off the bat without even discussing with you first?? I really think that is the real issue at hand here...

April 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
For those of you that feel birthplans are not necessary, would you want a doctor or midwife who dismisses your wishes right off the bat without even discussing with you first?? I really think that is the real issue at hand here...[/b]
BINGO!
April 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say OK,I agree with you LOL

However,if they were not willing to discuss what I wanted even verbally I would find a new DR/Midwife.

I do not do birth plans,I knew what kind of experience I wanted and just told my m/w on duty at the time of labour what I wanted. For example: She asked if I had thought about pain meds so I told her what I wanted. She asked me if it was OK to monitor me every 10 mins for 2 mins and I got to say yes or no.

With it being entirely midwife led care here (unless it is a high risk pregnancy) birth plans aren't needed because the M/W keep you informed,ask your permission to do everything,run through all the options and during early labour they discuss your wishes at great length.

I think if people want to do them then that is great,but for me there was nothing I could have written down that I couldn't say in labour. I understand why women like them,it makes them feel more prepared etc but the birth is discussed at such great length over here it wasn't needed. I wish EVERYONE could have a midwife.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search