What is more convincing to you?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sometimes I get... what's the word... annoyed/frustrated/confused by some debates when proof is involved. One person arguing point A will bring in lots of websites of research to back up their point of view, and then person arguing point B will do the same thing and we're at a stand still because both people are providing research on their behalf to prove their point. Then there are people who bring in their own experiences as proof, and others who discredit any personal experiences because they consider it anicdotal(?), and it goes on and on. On some subjects that I'm not educated on I get more confused by reading the debate because of all the contradicting "proof" people provide. I sort of wish there was a rule that you can't site websites as proof because unless they're published information (books) you could make up whatever you want on the internet and call it proof. It just gets so confusing some times!!

But what convinces you most in a debate? Is it when one person provides more sources then another? Is it when people give personal experiences? What is it that convinces you? Sometimes debates don't make sense because one person will provide proof of something and a million other women will provide personal experiences that seem to throw off that proof, and so sometimes the proof doesn't even seem validated.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

April 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM
irishxrose
Hm... to me, published work is more convincing, and some online sites if they are clearly not biased and authentic. Personal experiences do matter to me as well... so I really don't know? All of them can be rather convincing.
April 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Hm... to me, published work is more convincing, and some online sites if they are clearly not biased and authentic. Personal experiences do matter to me as well... so I really don't know? All of them can be rather convincing.[/b]
I agree. I don't totally discount personal experience, but it is hard to verify and it's often used against the grain of other credible research, such as "My mom did so and so when p/g with me and I turned out fine". I definitely trust published research before any other source but that's hard to come by on an internet debate board. I don't trust internet sites too often, b/c, like you said, anyone could come up with something and put a convincing name on it and call it fact. I also get irritated when someone (IRL or online) thinks they are an expert in something because they have done research about it online. My aunt thinks she knows everything from internet research and the more I learn about human physiology the more I realize she is reading some BS on the internet
April 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
mrobinson
It depends the subject.. If it's breastfeeding, while tons of stats can show us the numbers, hearing real life stories can help more women do it sometimes. Then there are subjects many people have no experience in where our only choice is to debate the information that is out there.

Quote:
"My mom did so and so when p/g with me and I turned out fine".[/b]
This arguement can bug the crap out of me when disregarding information.
April 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a huge believer in published "peer reviewed" research. I don't trust anything on the web unless it is peer reviewed by an unbiased scientific organization. I don't discount personal experience but still would trust a scientific study that has been scrutinized above and beyond a single person's experience.

It drives me crazy when people quote research and stats from websites that are biased or have not gone through any scientific rigor - who knows who wrote the junk.
April 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
depends on the situation. there is some situations where someone providing proper research and can back up what they are saying is the best. there is some cases where personal experiance can be very helpful and very supporting. Either way i think people need to have their facts in order before they throw something out there and have no clue what they are talking about.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

April 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I trust reputable studies which, many times, can be found on respected websites. So I don't discount all online sources, some of them are reputable.

I hate it when people disregard years and years of studies and statistics in favor of "everyone I know does it this other way, and we've all turned out wonderfully."

My biggest pet peeve is "I turned out fine."

April 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Tofu Bacon
It all depends on the "proof." You can find just about any statement you want on the net, but that doesn't mean it is accurate.
April 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Totally peer reviewed and refereed research above anything else

i love when people discount studies than can be repeated over and over and over, for years and years, in different cultures, as if they dont matter

April 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In a debate, what convinces me the most is published work and unbiased sources. I don't trust websites with an obvious agenda and researchers with a strong bias.
As for personal experiences, I value them as such, but they have not much weight over my POV. The same goes for personal opinions. I respects everyone's right to have one and even express it, but I cannot stand when during a debate someone tries to pass his/her opinion as fact. And some people do that a lot. To me, that person looses all credibility.

Sharon
April 26th, 2007, 06:02 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I would guess it would depend on the subject for me.

If it was medical personal experience would tie with published (credited) material and internet would come in last. Just dealing with doctors and nurses daily and my daughter having two very rare diseases they usually look to me to tell them what to do. I get as much info as possible and ask other parents dealing with the same issue and weigh the odds.

Anything else I would believe credited published info over all.
April 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM
babiesrus
For me? I prefer to utilize all resources when debating anything. I believe a well-rounded response is best. As you said, there are many types of research that can be negated if you look in the right spot and sometimes those reputable sites are not what they seem.
April 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
To be honest, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to stats I see people posting on this website. For me, it would have to be more convincing than a random website on the internet (even a random website supposedly quoting medical sutdies). I would be more convinced by studies from the actual journals themselves and I am pretty sure that most of those would have to be paid for and I doubt that anyone has a subscription to an online journal on JM. But, I do tend to peruse and skim some sites that people post if the topic interests me. But, personal experience also speaks volumes for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search