Dressing your kids

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
ReedsMama06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ReedsMama06 Send a message via Yahoo to ReedsMama06
OK so sorry if this has already been discussed

How do you feel about people dressing their kids like them... like "punk rock" or goth or whatever?? I mean like Mohawks and spike jewelry and tee shirts with curse words and such.

Personally (not meaning to offend anyone) I think you are setting your kid up for judgement by dressing them that way. that is one thing if YOU want to dress like that ( i have no problem with it whatsoever and have been known to dress like that a time or two ), but to dress a child up like that is almost cruel... especially to go to school or preschool. Most people would see them as being trouble makers. It is sad that our society is like that but that is just how things are.

ETA- Oh! And also on the other side of the spectrum, people who make their kids dress in really stuffy clothes, like collared shirts and dresses and really ridiculously nice clothes! What do you think of that? Is it the same to you?
April 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally wouldn't do it, but have seen people that do. In some ways its cute, but not for an everyday thing. The thing about is that those children are going to be judged at such a young age. Some kids get to a certain age 4-5 and they want to be like so and so mom,dad whoever and they want to dress like the them. It really comes down to doing personally what you think is right at a young age for your children.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
April 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I believe it is the parents perogative (sp?) to do what they want. I was going to get Dani's ears pierced as an infant and the only reason I did not is because she is going through so much I was not going to add to that. I would not put her in a half shirt and low hugging jeans but that is MY perogative.
April 26th, 2007, 05:36 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I'd never do it, but then, that isn't my style. My son has my style until he can express interest in his own style, which will be in a year or two when all he wants it Spiderman tshirts I don't like to see babies in stuffy clothes or in curse words, but it's up to the parent and I think it's natural that babies has their parent's style, because that's what they like and think is cute.

I would, however, smack anyone who put a baby in a spiked collar, heh.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
It doesn't bother me that much. I guess to a point everyone tends to dress their kids like them, but some styles stand out more than others. I don't think it's right to put a baby in a shirt with curse words on it, you're right about that! Basically, when I shop for DD, I pick what looks cute to me but the main thing is comfort since she is a crazy little crawling monkey right now

And ditto to Kel about the spike collar *shudders at the thought*
April 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM
ReedsMama06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ReedsMama06 Send a message via Yahoo to ReedsMama06
lol I should have been more clear, my bad I mean like extreme styles, mostly... not if you follow the norm of what most people dress. I mean like goth/punk, skanky, that sort of thing....
April 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM
irishxrose
As a punk rock mama, I see no problem in putting my son in clothes like that. He's my baby, and I find that style far cuter than stuff I usually see at Babies R Us. I plan to teach him when he is older not to judge others for what they wear or how they look like and to hold his head up high if others stoop so low to judge him for that. He will be the stronger child because of what I plan to teach him. I don't see a problem with parents dressing their kids in punk/gothic clothes. I think it's way cuter than other styles. But that's just me.
April 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I don't like "baby-ish" looking clothes. My daughter doesn't wear cotton pants, she wears jeans, jean shorts, jean capris, etc. She wears polos, button up shirts, basically anything that looks like regular clothing... and not baby clothing. I really do not see the issue. Who cares if my child wears a button up shirt? Who cares if my child wears name-brand clothing? Who cares? No one should care. If I want to put a mohawk on my son (if I had a son), I will. Personally, I think that is so adorable!

I wish people would stop making a big deal about such petty stuff.

However, I would not put a shirt on my child that had inappropriate language. Nor do I think anyone else should.

A friend of a friend mentioned one time that he should get a shirt made for his son that said "I'm proof my mom likes to f***" Ok, of course he was joking, and yes we did laugh. But stuff like that is inappropriate too.
April 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It seems to me that most if not all parents tend to dress their children in styles they like and therefore styles similar to what they wear themselves. As you said, not only do punk parents dress their kids punk, but religious/modest parents dress their kids modestly. Those who like brand names choose brand names, and those who are trendy dress their kids trendy.

I don't see anything MORE wrong with the "extreme" styles than I do with the idea in general... which is that parents might be pushing their kids to be "mini-me's" instead of allowing them to develop their own styles, tastes, and personalities.

I do not think there's a way around this and I will probably be guilty of the same when I am a mommy... human nature and all that...

April 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I think it is just normal. A baby or young child is not able to make those choices, so it is up to the parents to decide. However, I don't think parents are setting up their children for judgment as much as themselves. If I see a young child wearing a shirt that says "*F* YOU", I am going to think poorly of the parents not the child. As far as different styles punk/goth/trendy, it doesn't bother me one bit to see a child dressed in a particular style.

April 26th, 2007, 07:08 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
The way Julia's hair is growing in at the moment looks like a mohawk, so naturally every morning I spike it up lol I've gotten a few weird looks, but at this point, I'm happy she has hair, period.

I guess she dresses like me - I don't like her wearing "baby" clothes (rompers, feety pj's, etc), but rather, she wears jeans or capris and Converse sneakers lol Lots of t-shirts and cute long-sleeved shirts. Although, I would totally wear feety pj's if they made them in my size lol
April 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know, I've never really seen a baby or a young child that I thought was dressed inappropriately. I don't like "baby" clothes...I like baby clothes that look like adult clothes. That's just my personal preference. I like little baby jeans and little baby khakis, sweaters, hoodies....stuff I would wear. I don't ever buy Emma stuff with Pooh or Disney characters on it. I just don't like those. Though, I got tons of Pooh stuff from random people.
April 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I hate Winnie the Pooh with a passion. "Baby" baby stuff makes me gag lol
April 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I hate Winnie the Pooh with a passion. "Baby" baby stuff makes me gag lol[/b]
ACK! Me too! And it drives me nuts, because with boy clothes, that is all there is. Every pair of jeans, practically, has Winnie or Tigger splashed across it! I am not a fan of the cartoon or disney characters. I just want mini adult like clothes. Khakis and jeans or shorts with basic tshirts of polo type shirts, KWIM.

April 26th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
OK so sorry if this has already been discussed

How do you feel about people dressing their kids like them... like "punk rock" or goth or whatever?? I mean like Mohawks and spike jewelry and tee shirts with curse words and such.

Personally (not meaning to offend anyone) I think you are setting your kid up for judgement by dressing them that way. that is one thing if YOU want to dress like that ( i have no problem with it whatsoever and have been known to dress like that a time or two ), but to dress a child up like that is almost cruel... especially to go to school or preschool. Most people would see them as being trouble makers. It is sad that our society is like that but that is just how things are.

ETA- Oh! And also on the other side of the spectrum, people who make their kids dress in really stuffy clothes, like collared shirts and dresses and really ridiculously nice clothes! What do you think of that? Is it the same to you?[/b]
You are right, our society is like this. And by being afraid of breaking this chain of thinking is only helping with the stigmas that are attached to clothing styles.

I don't agree with clothing with curse words on them for children.
April 26th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The way Julia's hair is growing in at the moment looks like a mohawk, so naturally every morning I spike it up lol I've gotten a few weird looks, but at this point, I'm happy she has hair, period.

I guess she dresses like me - I don't like her wearing "baby" clothes (rompers, feety pj's, etc), but rather, she wears jeans or capris and Converse sneakers lol Lots of t-shirts and cute long-sleeved shirts. Although, I would totally wear feety pj's if they made them in my size lol[/b]

They do if you have a Target near you they have feety pj's in adult sizes.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
April 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
donomama
I think most parents naturally do it because that is what appeals to them when they go shopping. I think it's totally inappropriate to put obscene messages on a kid though,.
April 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I'm kind of surprised to see how many posters said they didn't like to dress their baby in baby-ish clothes. Why is that?

Quote:
They do if you have a Target near you they have feety pj's in adult sizes. [/b]
Oh you just made my day! I am SO going shopping for some feety pajamas
April 26th, 2007, 07:50 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I've given both of my kids mohawks I think it's adorable. Not curse words, or crazy jewerly, but clothes aren't going to harm them.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You are right, our society is like this. And by being afraid of breaking this chain of thinking is only helping with the stigmas that are attached to clothing styles.[/b]

ITA!!

I dress Raine in both. She has her pink girly clothes, and her black/camoflauge clothing, like Mommy. Usually, when I buy her clothes, it's either red or black, because that is what I think is cute on her. However I'd never force her to wear it. She usually picks her own clothes for the day anyway. Usually she is dressed like this, somewhere inbetween...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Iuveth/r.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Picture014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Picture100.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Iuv...Pictures495.jpg

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search