Babies in bikinis

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 05:21 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Do you feel it is appropriate to put a bikini on a baby? If yes, why? If not, at what age would you feel that bikinis are appropriate?

This debate stems from my grandmother, who is the equivalent of the anti-feminist, insisting that she is going to buy my DD a bikini on her vacation. I told her unless the bikini will fit her when she's 14, don't waste the money b/c it won't see the light of day I personally do not feel it's appropriate and I don't plan on putting one on her. It is just too much skin being shown for my taste, and I don't quite see the point of it. There are also sexual connotations attached to a bikini IMO, and since my 9 month old isn't going to the beach to attract a man, I'm going to pass. Also, strictly from a convenience standpoint, it's more surface area for me to have to hold her down and apply sunscreen to before she crawls away from me

So what do you ladies think?

Edited for the worst typo ever Ack! Thanks for pointing that out Kel!
April 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I just bought Dani a two piece at Old Navy ... would not necessarily consider it a bikini. I am enjoying having a girl after two boys and will not put her on display for others so I see no issues in a two piece. She has a big belly which I love and an outie belly button. It is not all about sex unless that is your mind set.
April 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM
ReedsMama06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ReedsMama06 Send a message via Yahoo to ReedsMama06
I dont look down on anyone who does let their baby wear one, but personally if i had a girl I wouldnt... There is nothing really to hold them in place, so every baby i have seen with one the mom kept having to pull the top down. I think it is silly, imo, BUT it is alot more convenient to have a two piece. I think for the backyard pool it is fine.

O/T ?- Do they make tankinis for baby girls??? that is a good alternative.
April 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mia has 3 bikinis that my Mom bought her for this summer. Last year she didn't have any, but she really wasn't out much last year to wear them anyways. Hmm I don't have a problem with it for my daughter, but I can see how some do. She probably won't be going to the beach anyways in them shell be at home in the pool so no one will see her. I don't agree that they are seen as sexual maybe in the teenage years but at 1 I don't think it is.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
April 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Quote:
and since my 9 month old is going to the beach to attract a man,[/b]
I think that's the best typo ever. Go Ryleigh!

Seriously, I agree but not entirely. IMO, I don't see it as a "too much skin" thing since it is, well, a baby. However, I don't think it's a very practical outfit for a baby and see no point in it. Bikinis are for when you can fill them out, to me - before then they look weird and I'd much rather see a one piece or, for a very young baby, just a swim diaper.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Quote:
I just bought Dani a two piece at Old Navy ... would not necessarily consider it a bikini. I am enjoying having a girl after two boys and will not put her on display for others so I see no issues in a two piece. She has a big belly which I love and an outie belly button. It is not all about sex unless that is your mind set.[/b]
I think I should clarify. When I said "sexual connotations" what I meant is that typically, a girl wears them to look hot. What else is the point of a bikini? If you're going tp the beach to go into the waves, it's not practical b/c you'll end up losing a piece I guess that's why I don't understand putting one on a baby. And to the bolded - I don't know if that was directed at me, and no that isn't my "mind set" but unfortunately there are people out there who look at children as being sexual
April 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have zero issues with two piece swimsuits for infants/toddlers. My DD wore a two pice last year, but has 2 one-pieces this year (so far). I just buy what I find that I think is cute. If it is a two piece, great... if it is a one piece, great. No big deal to me. There is NOTHING sexual about putting an infant/toddler in a two piece swimsuit. I'd rather my infant/toddler daughter wear a two piece, than when she turns 14

Quote:
Quote:
I just bought Dani a two piece at Old Navy ... would not necessarily consider it a bikini. I am enjoying having a girl after two boys and will not put her on display for others so I see no issues in a two piece. She has a big belly which I love and an outie belly button. It is not all about sex unless that is your mind set.[/b]
I think I should clarify. When I said "sexual connotations" what I meant is that typically, a girl wears them to look hot. What else is the point of a bikini? If you're going tp the beach to go into the waves, it's not practical b/c you'll end up losing a piece I guess that's why I don't understand putting one on a baby. And to the bolded - I don't know if that was directed at me, and no that isn't my "mind set" but unfortunately there are people out there who look at children as being sexual
[/b]
I don't think a bikini is only worn to look hot. What if you want to get a nice tan and not have a pale stomach and back? What if that is just the style that someone likes?

I hate that everything has to be referred to as being sexual.
April 26th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
It was not directed to you. Ummmm I guess I will put it in personal reference. I would never ever wear a two piece unless it was a short/tank top outfit. Miss Dani will not wear a two piece pre-puberty or probably after that if I have anything to say about it. But when they are babies and have the really cute baby fat I have no issues with it because I love it. I want to squeeze her all the time with her cheeks and belly and fat thighs.
April 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Quote:
If its on a baby, I think it would be cute. Who doesn't love to see belly rolls on an infant or first year toddler? I can also see where it would be more convenient to not have to take the whole thing off for diaper changes. If they can be changed in semi-public, they can wear a bikini IMO. Now with an older child I don't think I would allow it, from an other people seeing her standpoint, and also from a teaching her modesty standpoint. Of course I only have boys, so this is just what I would think if I saw someone else's girl![/b]
I see your point, I guess. I don't know, we don't have a private pool, so when we go on vacation this summer there will certainly be lots of people around. Maybe I am too modest, the idea just gets under my skin
April 26th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Pure Innocence
I wouldn't put Kailey in a bikini, she's an infant, there is no need to show off her stomach and she doesn't need a tan.
April 26th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't put Kailey in a bikini, she's an infant, there is no need to show off her stomach and she doesn't need a tan.[/b]
Again it is not about sexual ... I would never allow her to tan soooo not sure what your argument is.
April 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like it and yes it is because some people would see this as sexual. I'm not one of those people, but the fact that they're out there makes me feel I probably won't purchase a 2-piece bathing suit for a daughter until she buys one with her own money. I'm partial to the one-pieces with the flouncy ruffly skirts myself (for a baby not for me LOL).

Don't they make baby swimsuits with snaps at the bottom for easy diaper changes?? If not - they should!

April 26th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I don't like it and yes it is because some people would see this as sexual. I'm not one of those people, but the fact that they're out there makes me feel I probably won't purchase a 2-piece bathing suit for a daughter until she buys one with her own money. I'm partial to the one-pieces with the flouncy ruffly skirts myself (for a baby not for me LOL).

Don't they make baby swimsuits with snaps at the bottom for easy diaper changes?? If not - they should![/b]
Agree
April 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Jules has a tankini (I think that's what it's called - it's a two-piece, but only less than 1/2in. of belly skin shows). We have a bikini and a one-piece for her as well (I don't know WHY we have all these swimsuits, we actually don't go swimming all that often lol).

My opinion is, if someone is going to sexualize a toddler in their minds, it won't really matter if they're wearing a swimsuit or a burlap bag. Do you think people just see 1 year olds in bikini's and go "WOW!! I'm definately going to be a pedophile now".

For those who don't like bikini's - do you let your toddler wear tank-tops and shorts? Maybe we're thinking different bikini styles or something.
April 26th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Again you are putting it in a sexual content and that anyone should be afraid of dressing their 16 month old because of that blows my mind. Come on Stacey I want to hear your opinion!!!!
April 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Pure Innocence
Hay congratz on quitting smoking
April 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Quote:

Don't they make baby swimsuits with snaps at the bottom for easy diaper changes?? If not - they should![/b]
Thank goodness someone sees where I was coming from, I was starting to feel like I was crazy They so should put snaps on them but the two one pieces I have don't have them, which seems pretty silly.

And for those of you who do put them on, I still haven't seen anyone say why they feel it's better than a 1 piece? I guess I don't see the point.
April 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Again you are putting it in a sexual content and that anyone should be afraid of dressing their 16 month old because of that blows my mind.[/b]
Not everyone... to each their own. *I* personally just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I don't really know why. I just want to dress a baby like a baby. There will be plenty enough time for them to dress like a teenager or young adult... when she is that age, she can.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search