Registry or "just guessing"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand people who don't buy stuff off of people's registries (weddings, babies) if they know where they are registered and have access to the stores! I understand if you don't live in a city with the stores. A person in my PR said that she never buys anything off of people's registries because she doesn't like to be told what to buy. But, I personally, think it's annoying when people just buy whatever they "think" I need. (It's even more annoying when they buy what they think I need and don't include a receipt ).

Am I selfish and way off base to feel this way or are there others with me?
April 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I'm with ya! I prefer to buy off a registry, because I'd rather buy something that they NEED, rather than them having to return 10 swings and 20 diaper pails.

I think it's rude to advertise YOURSELF that you have a registry - generally whoever's throwing the shower would let people know. One of my friends sent me a card inviting me to her second child's baby shower (she was throwing it herself), and it had the registry on there. I thought that was really rude.
April 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I am with you! At my wedding, NOT that I was ungrateful, I got about 3 things from my registry. The rest was all just a bunch of guesses. The worst part was, it was all stuff FROM THE STORE I WAS REGISTERED AT!!!! I always buy from the registry. Though, I admit, my favorite wedding gift was a handmade afghan, not on my registry.

April 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm with ya! I prefer to buy off a registry, because I'd rather buy something that they NEED, rather than them having to return 10 swings and 20 diaper pails.

I think it's rude to advertise YOURSELF that you have a registry - generally whoever's throwing the shower would let people know. One of my friends sent me a card inviting me to her second child's baby shower (she was throwing it herself), and it had the registry on there. I thought that was really rude.[/b]
I think that is bad etiquette. I thought the rule was for wedding showers, you include registry info, but with the actual wedding invitation, you shouldn't. Now, when we were looking for baby shower invitations, some invitations had a line on there for registries!

Quote:
I am with you! At my wedding, NOT that I was ungrateful, I got about 3 things from my registry. The rest was all just a bunch of guesses. The worst part was, it was all stuff FROM THE STORE I WAS REGISTERED AT!!!! I always buy from the registry. Though, I admit, my favorite wedding gift was a handmade afghan, not on my registry. [/b]

Yeah! Me too! Last year, a girl we work with got married and my co-worker was looking at her registry and said she got her a toaster but not the one she was registered for because the one she was registered for was ugly! She took it upon herself to buy the girl a toaster that was NOT on her registry because SHE thought it was ugly! I just stared at her....
April 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Quote:
I don't understand people who don't buy stuff off of people's registries (weddings, babies) if they know where they are registered and have access to the stores! I understand if you don't live in a city with the stores. A person in my PR said that she never buys anything off of people's registries because she doesn't like to be told what to buy. But, I personally, think it's annoying when people just buy whatever they "think" I need. (It's even more annoying when they buy what they think I need and don't include a receipt ).

Am I selfish and way off base to feel this way or are there others with me?[/b]
I think you should be happy with the gift.
April 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:

No, I felt the same way at my own shower. A few people told me point blank that they knew what I needed better than I did b/c they were already moms That's all well and good, but if they don't even look at the registry how do they know I haven't registered for it? GAH! Then I ended up getting a lot of stuff that I didn't need and had to run to all the different stores to take things back. I always make it a point to shop off of someone's registry, only because it makes things run more smoothly and the mama/bride won't get duplicates. I understand more from a financial standpoint, if everything on the registry is expensive and they don't have that much money to spend. I specifically made my registry so that I had a lot of gifts that were $20 and under to account for that.
April 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

No, I felt the same way at my own shower. A few people told me point blank that they knew what I needed better than I did b/c they were already moms That's all well and good, but if they don't even look at the registry how do they know I haven't registered for it? GAH! Then I ended up getting a lot of stuff that I didn't need and had to run to all the different stores to take things back. I always make it a point to shop off of someone's registry, only because it makes things run more smoothly and the mama/bride won't get duplicates. I understand more from a financial standpoint, if everything on the registry is expensive and they don't have that much money to spend. I specifically made my registry so that I had a lot of gifts that were $20 and under to account for that.
[/b]
Yeah, when that happens, I just get them a giftcard to that store.
April 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
If someone has a registry I try to buy from it. But if I can't afford anything on it I get something else. I don't like registries for myself, for the same reason. I don't like telling someone what to spend on me.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 26th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Noelle
I struggled with wether or not to have a registry for our baby, because I couldn't figure out if it was rude to make a list of what I wanted. So I kind of compromised with myself. I didn't register for any clothes, or anything that people like to pick out. But I did register for bedding, furniture, swings, etc. All of the bigger stuff that I would like to have match.

But, when I am going to a shower of some sort (baby or wedding), I ALWAYS buy off the registry. It's so much easier anyway!

April 27th, 2007, 02:30 AM
irishxrose
I always buy off the registry too... I can't stand guessing.
April 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I didn't have any clothes on my registry, BRUs told me not to put them on there because the selection is always changing... were ya'll able to register for clothes?
April 27th, 2007, 08:22 AM
donomama
I'll admit, for babies I usually get something that's not on the registry. I like to get something unique - something that's a little different that they probably wouldn't buy for themselves. For example, one of my girlfriends had gotten any robeez, even though she was on her 3rd kid. I knew she wouldn't buy some for herself, and I think everyone needs robeez. We have like 10 pairs! So I got her some really cute ones and, of course, she absolutely loved them!
April 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Tinabeana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Tinabeana
I dont think your being selfish, You make a reg for a reason. Now its different if someone looks at your reg and see's what you want and goes too another store too buy it cause its on sale... and you end up getting 2 of something ooo well be grateful for the gift and just return the double. But too buy something that is not on the list I dont do it and I would hate for someone too do that too me. My sister didnt buy anythign from my list but she did make me a diaper cake and toys and outfits that she knew I would like, thats fine by me.

I see this happening today alot becuase Im getting married in June I did my reg and my shower is coming up and everyone is not buying off the list and its not my taste in things ill just return them. Im glad they took the time out for the gift but at the same time, I dont have the same taste as them or what not, That is why I always buy of the list!

April 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have a registry. If someone wants to get us something, they can pick it out themselves.

If I go to a wedding I am going to get a gift that I want to get the couple. Maybe that is rude, I really never thought about it. I've only been to one wedding so it is not something that comes up constantly.

April 27th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I prefer registries, especially when shopping. I don't like to try to guess what other people will like. If they can tell me "hey I need this, or want this"...that's easy. I like registries for myself too becuase what if I don't need any more 3-6 month because I have hand-me-downs?

I know I'd rather someone enjoy the gift I give because it's what they need or want rather than it become a hassle because they've already got two.

April 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's ridiculous to be anything but appreciative of any gift that is recieved. When did we come a society that says, it's not enough that you're spending your time and money on me but you better get me exactly what I want? I think registries are a great guide (especially if you don't know the people very well) but by no means should it be the only things you can buy. It's a gift! I couldn't tell you who bought me half of the things we registered for for our wedding but, I know exactly who bought us things that we didn't register for. They are our favorite gifts. A handblown glass vase from a local artist or a salad bowl from pottery barn? I'd take the vase anyday.
April 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
lschultz's Avatar Veteran
I will buy off of a registery if I have no clue what else to get but...I like to personalize my gifts to make them ore interesting so thats why I dont do it. Gift receipts were a great invention!

Kayden Alaina Brian
April 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM
aik0aik0's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aik0aik0 Send a message via MSN to aik0aik0 Send a message via Yahoo to aik0aik0
If someone gets you a unique gift (like a beautiful vase or something) or a gift card that is fine but I don't think it's fine to buy things from a dollar store or give used things that may go to waste anyways. I am appreciative that that attended my shower and even though there were multiple things on my registry for $4 a few older people gave me used things or dollar store bottles that I never needed or even used and I considered it rude. I registered at Walmart!

Born 1/26/07 6lbs 2oz 20 inches long!!
One month appointment 8lbs 4oz and 21 inches long!!
Two Month appointment 10lbs 10.5 oz! 221/2 inches long!!
Four Month appointment 14lbs 11oz. 24 1/2 inches long!!
Sixth Month appointment 16lbs 11 oz 27 inches long!!
Nine Month appointment 18lbs 5 1/2 oz 28 1/4 inches long!!!
April 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. Used gifts? I am in no way condoning that. I think that's entirely different than a new gift that isn't on your registry. How well did you know these ladies? That is the tackiest! Why would they even come?
April 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Wow. Used gifts? I am in no way condoning that. I think that's entirely different than a new gift that isn't on your registry. How well did you know these ladies? That is the tackiest! Why would they even come?[/b]
I agree!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search