kids character paraphernalia

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 08:11 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
don't know if it's already been talked about, but how do you all feel about things with kids charaters on them? like shoes, potties, schoolbags...

like honestly i really dislike and won't dress my kids in elmo, i have nothing against him, the shows are awesome with him in them, and it isn't about the message he sends, i just feel like some of them are sooo tacky! and i have a friend who thinks another one specific character is annoying on clothes.

so do you have any pet peeve characters on kids paraphernalia??
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
April 26th, 2007, 08:12 PM
donomama
WINNIE THE POOH!!!! I refuse to buy ANYTHING with ANY of the Pooh characters.
April 26th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
No characters on clothes, no winnie the pooh, no disney, no nicktoons, none! Now, DD has a disney princess backpack and lunch box. It is just on the clothes that I take issue.

April 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
donomama
Quote:
No characters on clothes, no winnie the pooh, no disney, no nicktoons, none! Now, DD has a disney princess backpack and lunch box. It is just on the clothes that I take issue.[/b]

I second that. I let my dd get characters on her pjs (and she just got a swimsuit) but not on her clothes. That's what dressups are for. She has a tinkerbell backpack and lunchbox though.
April 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No character clothes here I just let her get a Dora bathing suit. Thats it no more Character clothes for a while.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
April 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM
ahixon
I don't guess I have a problem with it, the only cartoon that me youngest son cares about is Blues Clues, and he has several shirts with Blue on them, and a couple of pairs of pajamas. Abby doesn't care about anything like that, but she has a tinkerbell costume that she loves, and Walker loves Spiderman, so as soon as I can I am going to get him a Spiderman shirt.
April 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I don't love it, but I buy a few things with characters on them. Anthony loves his Elmo pajamas.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 26th, 2007, 08:34 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I don't see anything wrong with it and I'm not sure why people are against it. If the item is cute or it is something my child likes then I wouldn't have a problem with it. When my DSD was ages 3-5 she was in love with Ariel from Little Mermaid. She had some really cute Little Mermaid stuff, pjs, bathing suits, t-shirts.

April 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
The only character clothing my kids have are PJs and dress up

April 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
The only character clothing my kids have are PJs and dress up

[/b]

She is cute! Her eyes are beautiful and her hair looks so pretty! I love the curls!

April 27th, 2007, 12:36 AM
why though? what is it that causes us not to liek them, do we not want our kids to be walking ads, are they tacky, do they send a message, do we not want to support that character or brand title??

for me i think elmo anything is just plain tacky, and surprisingly dh said the same thing before i told him lol but it is hard to get away from some things with them, like the potty seat i just bought christian, m choices were dora, diego, elmo. i got diego of course cause the other 2 weren't even an option in my head. but i needed that type of seat and i will be darned, i could not find just a colorful one.

now spiderman is a whole other story, ricky has spideyman everything, and batman. but i don't liek other super heroes, not any new ones, just the old style ones. but i bet that is because of our style, punk-comic books etc...
˛ married to matt ˛
˛

3.5 years - still BFing

April 27th, 2007, 01:14 AM
LaceyMommy2B
Quote:
WINNIE THE POOH!!!! I refuse to buy ANYTHING with ANY of the Pooh characters.[/b]

DITTO

BTW: other characters dont bug me, i dont know why just Pooh...n now that it hik about it, she has a pooh hat and outfit.. but its old school pooh.. and you can barely see him!

im guilty tho.. i have lots of eeyore PJs, tweety bird PJs, mickey mouse PJs, superman shirts (i even sport a superman tat in honor of my deceased cousin!), care bears shirt.. and my fave, a rainbow bright tee! i also have a Rod Stewart tee.. i LOVEEEEE it. hes not a character tho lol.. but i do love it!
April 27th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Quote:
QUOTE(donomama @ Apr 26 2007, 11:12 PM)

WINNIE THE POOH!!!! I refuse to buy ANYTHING with ANY of the Pooh characters.

DITTO[/b]
this seems to be a big one from my findings..wonder why?

Quote:
rainbow bright tee[/b]
rainbow bright rocks! lol
and as i was going "why pooh" you were editing with "i don't know why pooh"
˛ married to matt ˛
˛

3.5 years - still BFing

April 27th, 2007, 01:27 AM
irishxrose
I find nothing wrong with it... I personally love Elmo, always have, so I buy some clothes with Elmo on it. We also love Tigger and the Disney movie Cars, so he has lots of Tigger and Cars clothes. I don't know, I just never saw it as a big deal.
April 27th, 2007, 04:36 AM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I find nothing wrong with it... I personally love Elmo, always have, so I buy some clothes with Elmo on it. We also love Tigger and the Disney movie Cars, so he has lots of Tigger and Cars clothes. I don't know, I just never saw it as a big deal.[/b]
I don't think I have any pj's that dont have Elmo on them. Afterall in the end, they are just clothes.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 27th, 2007, 05:05 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter doesn't wear anything that has a character on it. I just don't like that sort of thing. She doesn't have toys that are character like that either. She does have some character books, but just Finding Nemo and Little Mermaid because she loves fish and those two are her favorite! I wouldn't buy her anything character either (clothing, bedding, decor, toys, backpack, shoes, socks, swimsuit, etc.) Just NOT my style at all.

However, other people are perfectly fine doing it... and I have no problem with that! There was a little girl the other day at the grocery store wearing this adorable Strawberry Shortcake dress.... so cute... but I wouldn't buy anything like that for my DD.

OOOOPs, I take that back.... Brinlee does have a couple of Ariel (Little Mermaid) toys that she got for Christmas because she threw a fit when we went down the Little Mermaid isle at Toys R Us... she wanted them all LOL

Mermaid I guess is ok for toys... but I'm really not into Sesame Street, Elmo, Dora, Barbie, Micky Mouse, etc.

***I don't think people think its a big deal, or that there is anything wrong with it, or that there is necessarily a problem with it.... just boils down to it not being their style, so they don't do it. Simple as that.
April 27th, 2007, 05:09 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
PJs and backpacks and such are okay, but I wouldn't dress my baby up in character clothes, for the same reason I don't wear clothes with the designer across the front. I'm not a walking billboard and neither is she. I have no problem with the occasional dress-up outfit, but for the most part she'll be wearing normal clothes. I do think they can be pretty tacky looking as well.

Now if only I could get my MIL to stop buying Ryleigh things w/ Tweety bird or Pooh on them... *sigh*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search