perineal massage ~ did you do it? Did you tear?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: perineal massage ~ did you do it? Did you tear?
yes I did it and I didn't tear 3 8.82%
yes I did it and I tore 5 14.71%
no I did not do it and I didn't tear 5 14.71%
no I did not do it and I tore 6 17.65%
I had an episiotomy and still tore 1 2.94%
I had an episiotomy and didn't tear 4 11.76%
I did both episiotomy and perineal massage 2 5.88%
other 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
mrobinson
I hope I covered the bases! Last night I was curious how many women tried Perineal Massage for the weeks leading up. Is it a waste of time in your opinion?
(TMI: Dh and I have begun doing this but we call it U-boating.)

(I voted other since I haven't had a baby and want to see the results.)
April 27th, 2007, 07:38 AM
donomama
I voted other. I didn't do it and I tore, but because of my circumstances, I don't think it would have helped. I can never know for certain though.
April 27th, 2007, 07:41 AM
mommyKathyX3
I also said other cause all three of my kids it was different.

Julia, I didnt do massage, and got an episiotomy.

Chloe I did massage almost every day for the last 2 months, just like they say to, but I wasnt all the way dialated, and she was moving so fast I pushed TO hard, and I had a TERRIBLE tear. a 2nd degree in the upper left side and a huge rip just a shade shy of ripping to my anus. I had 2 BAD tears with her, didnt help worth crap!

Cade I did a little bit of massage, but not much. Not regular and I only got a "skid mark" as its called. Pulled skin but not an official tear.

I think I tore so bad mostly cause of the doc with Chloe. She was my only bad experience with a doc during labor and delivery.
April 27th, 2007, 07:56 AM
mommyofdani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyofdani
I did perineal massage, my doctor even did during my labor and pushing. I ended up getting an episiotomy anyways.

April 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't do perineal massage.
And I did tear. But maybe that was due to the vacuum delivery. I don't know.

April 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
DH and I did perenial massage, but I ended up with an episiotomy b/c there was meconum in my water (didn't break til the *very* end of the pushing stage lol) and they needed to get her out FAST.
April 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I voted "Other"

Although, I did push for 3 straight hours, I had a c-section in the end for medical reasons.

I did not have a perineal massage, didn't tear, etc. I was just cut clear across my lower abdomen
April 27th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Never did it, and never tore. I did warm compresses a few times while baby was crowning, I've had a few waterbirths, and just patience during delivery.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
April 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't do it before labor, but my Dr did it during labor and I tore, but it wasn't very much. I think I only had 2 stitches, so it was a very minimal tear. My Dr's awesome with that kind of stuff and very careful not to tear the mom. I did push for 2 hours, so it probably helped to slowly push.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

April 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I never did it during my pregnancy so I put "other" However when I was about to push the nurse sorta did it while stretching it. I never tore. I had superficial wounds that they stitched up even though they said they didnt really have too. otherwise that is all I did.
April 27th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Pure Innocence
Unless you are in a good birthing position, perineal massage won't really do too much for you. If you do the massage but are laying on your back while pushing, there is still a great chance of tearing.

Ideally, being upright and pushing to utilize the full space of the birth canal WHILE having done perineal massage is best.
April 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I didn't do it ... I ended up having an episiotomy because he got stuck (my son's head circumference started in the 75th percentile and has only gotten bigger, heh) ... at least I guess it's because he got stuck, my doctor swooped in and cut me from stem to stern without even saying hello. (Loooong story on this guy.)

I have a friend who did it before and during labor and did not tear... I wish I had done it just to see if anything had been different. I expect problems again next time because the doc stitched me up further than he'd cut me

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 27th, 2007, 11:46 AM
tevinsangel
I think (it's been so long ago lol) I did a bit of massage when I was pregnant with DD 6 years ago. It didn't matter anyway, because my doctor said he did episiotomies as a rule whether you needed them or not. He was a great doctor in every other area but that lol. With DS, I had another doctor and he said he as a rule he does not do episiotomies unless are getting ready to tear (he can stitch a cut up better then a jagged tear). He did perennial massage on me while I was laboring but when I started pushing he said I was getting ready to tear, so he gave me an episiotomy. I've heard it works for some, but I think it depends on the size of the babies head, how fast you push, etc.
April 27th, 2007, 11:53 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
With Anthony I didn't and I had an episiotomy. I had one though because I'm shaped abnormally (according to three different doctors in three different states). With Anastasia I did the massage, I still had an episiotomy (a small one) and a small tear in my urethra.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I never did perineal massage... four hospital births resulted in episiotomy (once with additional tearing in three directions... ouch!). Two subsequent homebirths I had no tearing at all.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 27th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Never done it and I didn't tear. Not even with my ventouse delivery. Guess I am stretchy? :/
April 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
This is a Mom with three kids and the middle was a vaginal birth. It was one push and he was out and I tore from hole to hole .....

But I never felt a thing and it did not affect me afterwards. I was just so excited not to be doing a C-Section I got carried away.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search