S/O baby modeling

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Well in modeling the baby is paraded around and judged publicly. In modeling it generally isn't done in front of a cheering crowd.

Plus why would anyone tell a baby "hey sorry toots but you weren't cute enough to get the part?" The baby has no idea what is going on in either situation. It is just the parading them around for public judgment that bothers me.

I love looking through parenting magazines and seeing real babies doing all of the cute things babies do. They need baby models for those pictures and without them I don't think the magazines would have as much appeal.

I think most of us have probably looked at a baby magazine, a commercial, or baby product and thought "awwww" when you saw how cute the baby was.

April 28th, 2007, 10:51 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
When it comes to modeling a lot of the decision making is done privately. The babies aren't all lined up and a winner is announced. Most often it begins with pictures being viewed by the people who will make the decision. Then they call in the babies that they want to see based on the photos. Then a decision is made.[/b]
Yep - I have taken the twins I nannied for in on go-see's and there was never a line of babies all made up and hair done, only occasionally one or two other moms and babies coming or going. They basically just wanted to see how the babes move and react to things and people. Then if they got a call-back it was private too and not even the same day.
Their mom was picky though - they would not go looking for work, but if someone saw their pics and wanted them she would let them go if it was convenient. If they got something fine, money for their savings, if not, no biggie, she wasn't actively pursuing jobs or pushing them - she just had cute kids and why not let them profit from that as long as it didn't upset them.
When my oldest son was a baby we had a friend who was a photographer, she said we should get Jack modeling too, but we didn't live in the city and he hated being in his carseat, so I liked to avoid taking him on car trips, so we didn't do it. He was a beautiful baby but pretty easily overstimulated and hated being contained. If he had been more easygoign and it had been convenient for us I would have though.

I say go for it. If she doesn't seem happy, you'll know it and quit. And what a good way to start her college fund.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 30th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with a baby modeling, since clearly the babies have to be enjoying it! An older kid could be not having fun at all and forcing the smile or the pose, but if a baby is happily smiling in a picture, you know they were truly happy at that point! A baby is not going to allow herself to be pushed past what she can handle and photographers have no choice but to respect that boundary. A photographer isn't going to continue past the point the baby wants because he isn't going to waste his time getting bad pictures.

Mattea is beautiful, and every single picture of her I have seen has made me smile. I think some people have that naturally and I see nothing wrong with her gaining from that.[/b]
Thank you!

I dunno, I guess I just see it as TOTALLY different than pageants. Pageants are pretty much pitting babies against one another in a contest setting, but aside from the audition process modeling is totally different. I would never do anything to exploit my child.
April 30th, 2007, 03:00 PM
mrobinson
Mattea is beautiful ~ NO QUESTION.

To me, it's the ethics. What is modelling to you? Why is it ok? What makes modelling wrong, to you. (Obviously to many people, they see nothing wrong with it.) You don't want to exploit her, so ask yourself, by modeling your baby, would you be? Why not? Make a list of pros and cons.
April 30th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Super Mommy
I've had an agency after us with my 5 yo for years! He was in a Picture People Contest as a baby. And one of the Reps saw his pic.

I have REFUSED on many occaisions. I DO feel it's exploitation, and you never know what's gonna be the next fad. I do not want my child(ren) to have a celebrity childhood and never be able to be kids. Good Luck with your decision. It's sounds great until the "one" agent pushes your kid into stardom and you truly do lose control.

E

April 30th, 2007, 04:10 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Quote:
Well in modeling the baby is paraded around and judged publicly. In modeling it generally isn't done in front of a cheering crowd.

Plus why would anyone tell a baby "hey sorry toots but you weren't cute enough to get the part?" The baby has no idea what is going on in either situation. It is just the parading them around for public judgment that bothers me.

I love looking through parenting magazines and seeing real babies doing all of the cute things babies do. They need baby models for those pictures and without them I don't think the magazines would have as much appeal.

I think most of us have probably looked at a baby magazine, a commercial, or baby product and thought "awwww" when you saw how cute the baby was.[/b]
They aren't "paraded around" 'til the pictures are published.

</MARQUEE>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search