S/O baby modeling

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was approached by someone the other day about getting Mattea into modeling...I've been going back and forth about it in my head. On one hand I think she would be great at it-she is very photgenic and has an awesome tempermant, she loves having her picture taken. And it would be great to have some money to put in her college fund from it. But I don't know if it would kind of be exploiting her in a way?

I do think it is in a completely different category than beauty pageants though...

What are your thoughts?
April 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think you should carefully research the company that is involved. Some of them are only after your money, telling you you have to pay for this and that. I would make sure you know exactly what the pics would be used for and that you will maintain rights to what they are used for.

I don't see anything wrong with doing things like modeling baby products and stuff like that.

Just be careful because sadly there are too many shady companies out there.

April 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think you should carefully research the company that is involved. Some of them are only after your money, telling you you have to pay for this and that. I would make sure you know exactly what the pics would be used for and that you will maintain rights to what they are used for.

I don't see anything wrong with doing things like modeling baby products and stuff like that.

Just be careful because sadly there are too many shady companies out there.[/b]
Well this is actually a friend of mine who is a photographer (he took some pictures of her a month ago) so I'm pretty sure he is not scamming me...I fell for that ruse when I was a teenager though. Paid John Casablancas $1000 to take a couple crappy pics and learn how to walk with a book on my head
April 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM
mommyKathyX3
Occasionally modeling as long as you make sure YOU are ok with everything I dont think is a big deal. I think of it simmilar to acting and I dont think people (but you never know with this debate board ) have a problem with that as long as its not forced.
April 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I figure if you want to and your child/baby seems to enjoy it (and it doesn't get in the way of a "normal" happy childhood), why not? Somebody's got to be the baby in the ads...
April 27th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Just be careful because sadly there are too many shady companies out there.[/b]
Well this is actually a friend of mine who is a photographer (he took some pictures of her a month ago) so I'm pretty sure he is not scamming me...I fell for that ruse when I was a teenager though. Paid John Casablancas $1000 to take a couple crappy pics and learn how to walk with a book on my head
[/b]

Well if it is someone you know and trust and you feel comfortable then go for it. I have heard stories about John Casablancas and Barbizon which is why I had said be careful. There is always someone out trying to scam some money.

Your daughter is beautiful and as long as you feel comfortable with what the pics are used for then I don't think there is any reason why you shouldn't do it.

April 27th, 2007, 01:24 PM
donomama
When my DD was younger, people always told me that I should get her into baby modeling. I never considered it for one minute. Something seems wrong to me about letting my baby get paid for looking cute.
April 27th, 2007, 01:40 PM
CJMOM209
Go for it if it's something you want to do, but just be careful and maybe do a little research first because you don't want to be taken advantage of in the industry. However, I don't really see that there is much difference between this and pageants, both have a lot to do with looks...just my personal opinion! But I'm having that debate in the other board....
April 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been approached too for my two oldest sons,I thought about it and declined. Traveling was an issue for a start,and I wasn't all that comfy with the idea of it. I don't think it is exactly the same as pageants,but close enough.
April 27th, 2007, 02:16 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me. It's just beyond my comfort level I guess

Oh, and O/T but my stepsister used to go to Barbizon when she was about 12, and she came home really hyper one day (well, more so than usual lol) and my stepmom couldn't figure it out. My stepsis confessed that they had given the girls Zenadrine pills Needless to say she never went back and she certainly never became a model as they promised.
April 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I probably wouldn't do it with Jules, but that's just me.
April 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Sure, I would. I used to be a model, so knowing the business helps some. Before moving, Wilhelmina (Willy Kids) was very interested in my daughter. If we move back to So Cal, I may look into it again for both girls.

Most reputable agencies are in LA, Miami, Chicago, and NY.

April 27th, 2007, 04:00 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I say go for it, but of course that's not surprising...... but definitely don't invest a lot into it and get nothing in return... but you are a smart mommy and I'm sure you'll be aware and check everything out....
but I do disagree that it is in a different category than pageants..... close enough to the same thing for me, but I don't disagree with either

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

April 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I see it as different than pageants. In modeling (especially for baby products) the baby isn't being paraded across a stage and compared to other babies.

I do think you have to be careful with modeling because there are a lot of people out there who are just sickos.

I just got a ton of stuff at my baby shower. A lot of the packages had pics of babies on them and none of them seemed to be fake tanned, covered in makeup or anything like that. They looked like normal everyday babies.

April 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Quote:
I see it as different than pageants. In modeling (especially for baby products) the baby isn't being paraded across a stage and compared to other babies.

I do think you have to be careful with modeling because there are a lot of people out there who are just sickos.

I just got a ton of stuff at my baby shower. A lot of the packages had pics of babies on them and none of them seemed to be fake tanned, covered in makeup or anything like that. They looked like normal everyday babies.[/b]
To the underlined- Are you insinuating that this is different from pageants because of what you stated, because some pageants are natural to, so thus they produce children that ultimately portray the same image.....
To the bolded - how do you think babies get modeling jobs, they compete with other children to get them, they are dressed up to get the part, they probably won't get the job if they don't perform well in front of the camera or panel of those making the selections, to say they aren't being paraded or compared is IMO unrealistic. I think they are doing just that..... but as long as the parent is responsible I don't see the problem with it, I'm just trying to point out that it may be a lot more like pageants than everyone wants to say.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

April 28th, 2007, 11:29 AM
There aren't as many pageants who go natural as there are ones that encourage makeup and all of that.

When it comes to modeling a lot of the decision making is done privately. The babies aren't all lined up and a winner is announced. Most often it begins with pictures being viewed by the people who will make the decision. Then they call in the babies that they want to see based on the photos. Then a decision is made.

April 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM
syncere
I was told that several times too about my daughter.. My DH even tried to convince me several times that we should do it too.. I just didnt want to take the chance of it being some scam or something that wouldnt be in her best interest.. I think it would be ok if you were 100% sure of everything involved..
April 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what I would do personally. I can't imagine it would be exploitive if the pics were taken for parenting magazines and baby clothes ads!
April 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Quote:
There aren't as many pageants who go natural as there are ones that encourage makeup and all of that.

When it comes to modeling a lot of the decision making is done privately. The babies aren't all lined up and a winner is announced. Most often it begins with pictures being viewed by the people who will make the decision. Then they call in the babies that they want to see based on the photos. Then a decision is made.[/b]
I don't see an awful lot of difference in the baby losing in the pageant or their parent or whoever telling them they didn't get the part... I just don't see this logic standing if you are against it because it judges based soley on looks , I'm not sure if you think that or not(I just know some others against it do feel that way), so I guess I'm just saying either way they are being judged based on looks, and in the case you explained even moreso on looks than at pageants where there are other portions to the contest..... So I see what you are trying to say, but would just want to know more about why you don't like pageants... I know what you mean, but to me there is a fine line between the au natural pageants and the glitz.... and a lot of times there are two seperate categories... I know two moms that put their DD's in pageants, but never the glitz portion. I think there is a big difference between those pageants, but not between modeling and pageants.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search