Cloth diapers?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do they save money? How much do you end up spending on them initially? And how much for a typical month?

How many times a day do you do laundry? Do you have to handwash these?

Is baby more likely to get diaper rash from these, or LESS likely to get it?

April 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you might find the best answers to these questions on JM's Clothing Diapering forum! You might get more responses there, than here.
April 27th, 2007, 12:20 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do they save money? How much do you end up spending on them initially? And how much for a typical month?
Many people save money, some do not. It really depends on your level of self control. There are soooo many cute dipes out there and some ladies get carried away buying embroidered diapers, or other specialty diaper items, like wool. Personally, I've spent around $300.00 on cloth diapers and they will last us until potty training. Once you make your initial investment, there isn't really a monthly expense unless you want to keep buying extras or need to move up a size. My ds is in Medium and will probably stay in medium until he's potty trained. Some babies are big and never need size small, so it really depends on your baby. There are some ladies on a diaper forum of mine that have upwards of 100 diapers. That is completely unnecessary. Diapers also have a high resale value. So even if you spend $500 on diapers, you can usually turn around and sell them for $300, for a total investment of $200 altogether, kwim?

How many times a day do you do laundry? Do you have to handwash these? No, you don't have to handwash-ICK! That would be a huge turnoff. I have 23 diapers (2 of them are for my bedwetter) and I wash every other day. My toddler goes thru about 8 per day and my older son wears 1 overnight. A newborn goes thru closer to 12 per day, so if you wanted to wash every other day, you'd need 24 diapers. If you wanted to wash every 3rd day, you'd need 36 diapers. They do have to be laundered separately from regular laundry because they do require special washing (specific detergent, and only very small amounts to prevent buildup).

Is baby more likely to get diaper rash from these, or LESS likely to get it? If used & laundered correctly, a baby is less likely to get diaper rash. Mine are lined with fleece (super soft and gives baby that stay-dry feeling) which can attract detergent buildup if they aren't washed properly. Detergent buildup can give baby a rash, at which point the diapers need to be "stripped" which is just a special way of washing with baking soda, vinegar, and Dawn dishwasher soap that strips all buildup out of the diaper. I usually strip my diapers once a month whether they need it or not just to be on the safe side.

I wish I had more pix, but my wiggleworm is hard to pose, lol. Here's a couple:

BTW, each disposable diaper requires 1 cup of crude oil to be manufactured! Talk about increasing our dependency on the middle east!

Disposable diapers also have chemicals and carcinogens in them which have been shown to cause male factor infertility and other issues. They probably cause cancer too, everything causes cancer these days, lol. I'll try to dig up a study when I have time.

Disposable diapers that are used today will not biodegrade in our lifetime. Disposable diapers make up 3% of all of the worlds waste. While 3% sounds like a small number, when you think of all the billions of tons of waste, 3% is a HUGE amount, especially since they take FOREVER to break down.

April 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So you have to wash them seperately with their own special detergent. Does this cost about the same as regular detergent? Where do you get it anyway? I've never seen detergent that said it was for diapers.

Do they need to be changed more often than regular diapers?

April 27th, 2007, 12:32 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great information
April 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've used cloth on all 8 children, and will continue. Is it more economical? Definetly, I spend $0.00/month on diapers. I have some CPF's that are going to be going on their 9th bitty bottom. After 8 kids, I probably have about 10 dozen diapers combined, in 2 sizes. That's about $240 dollars in diapers, and probably another $200 in all of my wraps in various sizes. (I make many of my on soakers.) This was not spent all at once either. I have had up to 3 in diapers at a time.

I use Charlies Laundry Soap on diapers, and Mrs. Meyers on the rest of our clothes. Charlies is cheaper.

Only 5 of my kids have ever had diaper rash, and I traced that back to milk sensitivity.

I do 3 loads of 'regular' laundry a day, and every two days I do a load of diapers.

We also do a modified form of ec (We started this before I ever even knew there was a name for it! LOL!)

Just on the bank account alone, it's worth it for our family. Also, being a bigger family, we try to be more conscientious of our 'impact'.

Quote:
So you have to wash them seperately with their own special detergent. Does this cost about the same as regular detergent? Where do you get it anyway? I've never seen detergent that said it was for diapers.

Do they need to be changed more often than regular diapers?[/b]
Shouldn't all diapers be changed when soiled?

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
April 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
So you have to wash them seperately with their own special detergent. Does this cost about the same as regular detergent? Where do you get it anyway? I've never seen detergent that said it was for diapers.[/b]
You can check out detergent recommendations on:
http://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

Quote:
That depends. If you let your toddlers disposable diaper sag down to his knees before you change it (BTDT), then yes, you'll need to change more often. I usually change every 2-3 hours unless he's had a bowel movement. He has stayed in a cloth dipe up to 7 hours before tho (road trip) without leaking. He wears 1 diaper overnight, I just double/triple the absorbancy. If you use prefolds and covers (most economical), then you'd probably need to change every 1.5 hours or so. Personally, I use pocket dipes. They're more expensive, but they go on like a disposable. The only difference is that I dump poop in the toilet and wash it instead of just throwing it away.

April 27th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Tofu Bacon
Just wanted to add on the subject of diaper rash:

Approximately 7% of cloth-diapered babies will experience a diaper rash, versus 78% of disposable-diapered babies. Cloth diapers with breathable covers let air circulate better and keeps baby cooler (by several degrees) inside the diaper, which is why diaper rash is rare. A rash is more likely to be caused by sensitivity to the detergent or not rinsing the the diapers thoroughly enough.

Anway here are my pros:

-Cheaper than disposables, especially because you can use them one several babies. You can spend as little as $100 for a starter stash, or spend up to several hundred on the fancier diapers. The cost to launder cloth diapers is about $600-800 from birth to potty training (that amount includes water, energy and detergent)

-Healthier for babies because they don't contain dioxins, like disposables do (Dioxin is listed by the EPA as the most toxic of cancer related chemicals). Disposables also contain TBT, which is a toxic pollutant known to cause hormone problems in humans and animals. Disposable diapers also contain sodium polyacrylate(that is the gel inside the diapers) which is the same substance that was removed from tampons because of its link to toxic shock syndrome. Studies have also been done to show that the chemical emissions from disposable diapers can cause respiratory problems in children.

-Better for the environment. Disposable diapers aren't truly disposable because they will sit in landfills for centuries. They are the 3rd largest product populating landfills, with each baby in America contributing 6000-8000 disaposable diapers apiece, from birth to potty training. Try to picture just how high a mountain of diapers that is...just for one baby! Plus, human waste in diapers isn't treated (like it would be if it was flushed down the toilet) and is left to seep into our groundwater supply. Not to mention all of the tress that are unnecessarily cut down to manufacture diapers.

-It really isn't that much extra work. In the time it would take to to get baby ready to go to the store, drive there, pick out diapers, stand in line and drive back home...my load of diapers would already be presoaked and halfway through the wash cycle.
April 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Not much to add... but I love my cloth diapers.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
So you have to wash them seperately with their own special detergent. Does this cost about the same as regular detergent? Where do you get it anyway? I've never seen detergent that said it was for diapers.[/b]
Nope. You want to buy te cheapest, generic detergent you can get your hands on because the cheap-o detergents contain less additives like optical brighteners and enzymes, which can cause rashes and build-up. I usually buy Dynamo, with costs 2.99 for a gallon and lasts me a good 6 months because yu only need to use a few tablespoons for a load.

Quote:
Depends on how you look at it. It isn't healthy for a baby to be sitting in any kind of diaper for 3 or more hours; the difference with cloth is that you can't leave them in a diaper for hours on end or it will leak. For a newborn you may change cloth every hour, but later on you'd be changing about every 2 or 3 hours as needed.
April 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy

You can spend as little or as much as you want on cloth. you can start for around $50 and that can last a while. If you choose to use the diapers that dont require all the covers and extra liners then it can be expensive.

i wash every 3-4 days. no handwashing here. they go straight to the pail and then into the washer when it is time.

less in our case.

Just for show here is Kason. Sorry this is the only one i have uploaded to photobucket.

Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

April 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

You can spend as little or as much as you want on cloth. you can start for around $50 and that can last a while. If you choose to use the diapers that dont require all the covers and extra liners then it can be expensive.

i wash every 3-4 days. no handwashing here. they go straight to the pail and then into the washer when it is time.

less in our case.

Just for show here is Kason. Sorry this is the only one i have uploaded to photobucket.

[/b]
What a cutie! How old is your baby?

April 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm going to guess that I've spent maybe $200 on actual diapers and covers for my last four children. Used diapers can be difficult to find but if you put the word out you might have good ones given to you.

Another benefit to cloth, IMO, is that they smell better. I can't stand the smell of a package of disposable diapers, and the diaper pail smells better when it is full of soaking cloth compared to used disposables.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 27th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What a cutie! How old is your baby?[/b]

he is 3 weeks old now that was about 6 days old i think

Quote:
I'm going to guess that I've spent maybe $200 on actual diapers and covers for my last four children. Used diapers can be difficult to find but if you put the word out you might have good ones given to you.

Another benefit to cloth, IMO, is that they smell better. I can't stand the smell of a package of disposable diapers, and the diaper pail smells better when it is full of soaking cloth compared to used disposables.[/b]
so true
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

April 27th, 2007, 05:07 PM
irishxrose
I think I'm going to do cloth with the next baby... those stats scare me.
April 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Do they save money? How much do you end up spending on them initially? And how much for a typical month?[/b]
I definitely save money! I have about 45 size small dipes (including covers), which is FAR more than I need... and they've already paid for themselves in what it would cost if we'd disposable diapered. I've spent about $300 on size small... and from the looks of it, they'll last us for a while before we switch to size medium. I dont even know if we'll need size large at all.

There isnt a monthly cost... aside from the expense of extra laundry... which isnt all that much at all. I wash diapers once every three days.

Quote:
How many times a day do you do laundry? Do you have to handwash these?[/b]
Once every three days. No, I dont handwash them (yuckie!)... I throw them in the washing machine for two cycles (one on cold with no detergent, one on hot with very little detergent), then throw them in the dryer. It really is VERY easy. Before I C/D'ed I thought it would be more hassle then its worth... boy was I wrong! It's so incredibly easy, and this is coming from someone who hates laundry, lol.

Quote:
Is baby more likely to get diaper rash from these, or LESS likely to get it?[/b]
Zacksmama covered this well.

Quote:
Does this cost about the same as regular detergent? Where do you get it anyway?[/b]
Here's a list of cloth diaper-friendly detergent: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Basically you just need detergent that is free of all the additives in most detergents. Usually these kinds are a lot cheaper. Plus, with cloth dipes you use VERY little detergent per load, so it lasts for a long time.

Here are some pics of Seamus in cloth:

April 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
babiesrus
For those of you who suggest that using cloth diapers is environmentally more friendly, here is a report from the government of Canada stating concerns with both. Thought you might be interested that cloth diapers also pose an environmental issue on different levels other than the landfill issue.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/envirozine/english/iss...questions_e.cfm

http://www.ilea.org/lcas/franklin1992.html
April 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
babiesrus
What I found most interesting is the wasted energy . . . in using cloth compared to disposable. I used to work in the energy sector for a company that created power generation plants for various governments. We bought the natural gas from Canada and shipped it down to the United States via pipeline (and also in Canada) to run these power plants, which use steam to create energy.

Is cloth diapering a clear cut answer, I would have to say no. But as far as personal choice and what matters most to you environmentally, cloth could be beneficial. Like anything in parenting, there never seems to be an obvious, right choice.
April 27th, 2007, 08:22 PM
mommyKathyX3
I just dont see how someone can compare the 3 small loads of laundry a week to the disposable diapers waste. You could EVEN do EC and there would still be some waste cause there WILL be some accidents and you got to clean them up. A human being just being a HUMAN being will produce some waste somehow. Its just trying to reduce the waste as much as you can.

Overall, though that is just a small part of why I do it. Cheeper, yes by far, cuter, heck yeah! easy? a lot more than I thought it would be, better for thier bum? yes, very much.

I still have a few sposies around for emergencies though, so I have nothing against them, but I just found I like the cloth better for lots of reasons.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search