Government assistance and multiple children...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi - I have been lurking for a little while so I hope you guys don't mind me posting - I hope I don't break any rules since I'm fairly new here - But this has bothered me for a long time and I wanted to see others opinions on it.
I know people can fall on hard times and might need governement assistant sometimes and I'm okay with that if it's a way to get back on your feet but it really bothers me when you see people getting free formula, insurance, and all the other assistance and then turn around and have another baby.
I personally am okay with helping someone who has a baby and needs it - I personally waited until I could afford to buy my own formula, diapers, etc but do understand accidents happen - so let's help that person and insist that they get on their feet before having more or else they are on their own.
Why must I as a tax payer keep paying for people to have multiple children that they can't afford.
Just curious if I'm the only one out there that feels this way? I hope I don't offend anyone, I have a dear friend that has 3 kids and has always had formula and insurance given to her and I still love her dearly - I just think our assistant programs are kind of wacky!
April 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another debate like this?!?!

April 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM
irishxrose
I'm staying out of it. I remember how the last one went!
April 29th, 2007, 02:59 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
I'm staying out of it. I remember how the last one went! [/b]

me too.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
If you look above in the hot hot topics section you will find several debates there about stuff like this.

For the record I tend to agree with you to an extent. I have a friend who is the same way. She just pops out kid after kid, has no intention of getting a decent job, and brags about the fact that the government pays for her kids. Why should she work and get off assistance when she can get paid for doing nothing?

April 29th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, can't seem to break away from the welfare/poor people debates!

<span style="color:#A0522D">"No my windows aren't dirty ....that's my boxers nose artwork!"</span>
April 29th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
In her defense, she said she is new and this is her first time posting here.

I agree with you 100%. I am okay with programs in place, but there needs to be limitations on the assistance as well as expectations to come off of assistance. Along with assistance programs, there should be some kind of job training/counseling available. People cannot and should not be allowed to utilize welfare and assistance programs indefinitely. It should be a temporary situation, everyone hits hard times, but there needs to be restrictions and limits.

April 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I'll play.

What about people whose religious beliefs go against using birth control? They are going to have multiple children whether they can "afford" them or not.

This will probably annoy some people, but I have no problem with people getting gov't assistance to pay for their formula, health insurance for their kids, and extra food for their pregnancy or food for their kids. And if they have more kids, I really couldn't care less. Poor people have the right to have as many kids as they want, just like rich people.

Everyone has the right to procreate, and thankfully we live in a country that does not allow women and children to just starve because they happen to be poor. In other countries this happens all the time.

The government spends millions (billions perhaps) on all kinds of stuff that I totally disagree with (war, etc). Food and insurance for kids at least do somebody some good. It is the least of my concerns, frankly.

Job training programs are all well and good, but if someone has 4 or 5 kids it would be cheaper for them just to stay home and get gov't assistance, than for the gov't to pay for daycare for all these kids so that the person can work some minimum wage job that won't even cover their bills.

April 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Having children is not a right. If one cannot afford the cost of raising their own children, then they shouldn't be popping them out by the litter.

April 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
oops, didn't know there was one like this - I saw the one talking about welfare but not like this - sorry if I repeated...
April 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Having children is not a right. If one cannot afford the cost of raising their own children, then they shouldn't be popping them out by the litter.[/b]
Well, that is your opinion. I don't share that opinion.

If the only people that were allowed to have children are those that can "afford" them, many of us would not be here.

April 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Why should I pay for someone who can't afford children? That makes no sense to me - Like I said if there is a child that will go hungry and this family needs a boost to get back on their feet, then by all means.
I totally disagree that poor people should be able to have as many kids as rich people - I say you should have what your pocket book can afford - not just kids, but cars, homes, clothes, etc - If you can't afford it, use birth control - if your religion doesn't allow bc, then better get 2 jobs!

Quote:
Ok, I'll play.

What about people whose religious beliefs go against using birth control? They are going to have multiple children whether they can "afford" them or not.

This will probably annoy some people, but I have no problem with people getting gov't assistance to pay for their formula, health insurance for their kids, and extra food for their pregnancy or food for their kids. And if they have more kids, I really couldn't care less. Poor people have the right to have as many kids as they want, just like rich people.

Everyone has the right to procreate, and thankfully we live in a country that does not allow women and children to just starve because they happen to be poor. In other countries this happens all the time.

The government spends millions (billions perhaps) on all kinds of stuff that I totally disagree with (war, etc). Food and insurance for kids at least do somebody some good. It is the least of my concerns, frankly.

Job training programs are all well and good, but if someone has 4 or 5 kids it would be cheaper for them just to stay home and get gov't assistance, than for the gov't to pay for daycare for all these kids so that the person can work some minimum wage job that won't even cover their bills.[/b]
April 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You do not get to decide where your tax dollar goes. But in the grand scheme of things, most of your tax money is going to support the military, not social programs. So keep that in mind.

April 29th, 2007, 03:56 PM
ahixon
I have three kids, and two of them from birth have been on Arkids, a state run health care program. Maybe our concern should be how to get health insurance cost down to a resonable amount of money where people can afford private health insurance. I don't think the government owes me anything, and I am so thankful that my kids are able to go to the doctor when they are sick, which they would not alway's be able to do if it weren't for Arkids, but my children were not mistakes, they were born (the last two) with me full well knowing that I would have to get Arkids for them. So, honestly I don't know what else to say, I am sorry that you feel like I should not have had anymore kids until we could afford the $800 a month that private insurance would have cost us, but honestly I am not sure that if we had to wait to do that we would have ever been able to have any more.
April 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say that many things are "forced" in life - I couldn't afford a child for many years and waited and waited many years until I felt I could provide for him/her. there are many things in life that are not available to us at a given time (house, child, car, etc) we just have to wait for our turn in my opinion - or be irresponsible and have them when we can't afford them and hope someone else picks up the tab

I do agree that our health care programs need reform too - That would sure go a long way with these issues - I don't want any child to be without health insurance, I just think people should show some restraint and do things in order
April 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do agree that our health care programs need reform too - That would sure go a long way with these issues - I don't want any child to be without health insurance, I just think people should show some restraint and do things in order
April 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I too would not have had kids if I could not afford them. I am not a religious person so the birth control is against my religion does not fly with me.

That being said Dani is up to 300,000 (actually more than that because insurance always knocks the bills down at least half) in insurance paid health care but we had it for that purpose. We also had to fight to get her transplant covered but we did and went to a ton of media and government officials until they gave in. So we have not had it easy in the insurance world but if you fight enough it will happen.

I have a niece (stupid girl but I love her) that has MS and now two kids and can barely walk. She had them to keep the men in her life around. They are both gone (the men) now. So my older niece is supporting her and the kids and the government is chipping in some. It is nonsense. Her having kids made her MS worse and she knew that. There are stupid people out there and nothing that can be done about it. Do not even get me started on my brother.
April 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Having children is not a right. If one cannot afford the cost of raising their own children, then they shouldn't be popping them out by the litter.[/b]
I agree with you completely that if you can't afford children or are on welfare you shouldn't be having them. I'm not sure that I don't consider having children to be a right though. Especially if the alternative is government forced birth control or forced celibacy. Those things would be rights violations for sure. I think that instead of having children not being a right, government sponsored welfare isn't a right!
[/b]
I would never support gov't forced birth control or sterilization, either. I am talking about personal accountability. Don't be TTC if your method of supporting a child is through welfare programs. I am also not speaking of the OOPSIES, DD was an unplanned pregnancy and I was on Medicaid and WIC when I was pregnant and for the first few months of her life. We used it as a stepping stone though, we got off of it when it was no longer needed and we did not have another baby for many years later when we were able to support our family without gov't aid.

Quote:
You do not get to decide where your tax dollar goes. But in the grand scheme of things, most of your tax money is going to support the military, not social programs. So keep that in mind.[/b]

Quote:
I have three kids, and two of them from birth have been on Arkids, a state run health care program. Maybe our concern should be how to get health insurance cost down to a resonable amount of money where people can afford private health insurance. I don't think the government owes me anything, and I am so thankful that my kids are able to go to the doctor when they are sick, which they would not alway's be able to do if it weren't for Arkids, but my children were not mistakes, they were born (the last two) with me full well knowing that I would have to get Arkids for them. So, honestly I don't know what else to say, I am sorry that you feel like I should not have had anymore kids until we could afford the $800 a month that private insurance would have cost us, but honestly I am not sure that if we had to wait to do that we would have ever been able to have any more.[/b]
I am not speaking of insurance programs. I am talking about welfare, food stamps, unemployment, etc. I have ZERO issue with the insurance aid. I never said anyone's children were mistakes, so why don't you try not adding to my thoughts things I never even suggested.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search