Learning in a debate

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Do you learn in a debate?
No 2 5.26%
Sometimes 0 0%
As long as it's done respectfully 27 71.05%
Yes 9 23.68%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Spinoff of the cloth diapering thread.

I think that most of us learn from debating others.

As long as the information is presented respectfully, and not condescendingly, then I think it is an important part of this board.

Although I don't normally come here for the sole purpose of learning, I have learned from many a debate and even changed my opinion on certain subjects.

April 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I voted yes, often, and as long as it's done respectfully. I have no problems with someone trying to educate me on a subject as long as it's done without being condescending, KWIM? I appreciate being educated, actually, because it makes me even stronger in my convictions in most cases.
April 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
My intention may not be to become educated on a topic, but it never ceases to amaze me when I do. If it weren't for these debate boards, I would not have stuck to BFing as long as I did. There are plenty of topics that, originally, I think NO WAY and then after I learn about them I get completely behind it. I come here as a form of entertainment, but I get an added bonus when I learn something.

April 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
yes, often i learn and as long as it's done respectfully. i see sometimes see the "in your face HA!" kind of attitude in some posts and that irks me so i usually just ignore that and go on.
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
April 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
ahixon
I learn sometimes, not even meaning to. Like the cloth diapering debate, it is to late for me to invest in cloth diapers, but if I would have known all that i know now I would have used cloth. As a matter of fact one of my best friends is pregnant and after reading that debate I think I have talked her in to using cloth. I had no idea how easy it was, I always thought it was a ton of work, and wasn't interested in sticking my babies with pins which i thought was the only way there was to put diapers on.
April 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I learn sometimes, not even meaning to. Like the cloth diapering debate, it is to late for me to invest in cloth diapers, but if I would have known all that i know now I would have used cloth. As a matter of fact one of my best friends is pregnant and after reading that debate I think I have talked her in to using cloth. I had no idea how easy it was, I always thought it was a ton of work, and wasn't interested in sticking my babies with pins which i thought was the only way there was to put diapers on.[/b]
Me too! I am honestly wanting to switch to cloth now! I had no idea things had progressed so far with them.

April 29th, 2007, 08:52 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I come here to blow off steam and have educated debates. I do not have that option in real life because of the high stress with Dani so I use this and it has helped a lot.
April 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
I learned so much from the cloth diaper debate thread that I really think that's the way to go now.[/b]
Ditto! I think I'm going to do more research into CDing and try to get DF on board so I can at least get a few to try out at home and see how it works. There's another example of me learning here. If you'd asked me when I was pregnant if I was interested in CDing you'd have gotten a firm HELL no I thought it was so much more work!
April 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM
mommyKathyX3
a debate is just an argument if there isnt the possiblity you could learn something.
April 30th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have learned a lot of things in the debates.

April 30th, 2007, 08:19 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Whats the point of debating if you aren't open to changing your mind or changing someone elses mind?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
a debate is just an argument if there isnt the possiblity you could learn something.[/b]
^I love that approach!

I voted sometimes, sometimes, as long as it's respectful.

((off to see the cloth diaper debate!))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search