Disaster Assistance

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sure the way I see it is it is if she is fit for work they why not. If they are just getting the benefits because they can then thats wrong. Why shouldn't an able body person work?

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
April 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
First of all let me say that FEMA sucks!

Anyway....yes there should be a time limit but I think it would be hard to set one general time limit.

I mean FEMA can't go on helping those people forever. Eventually, everyone who is put into a terrible position like that has to pick themselves up and say...ok I have to move on with my life.

People face some awful things in life but they shouldn't use it as an excuse to not do anything. If you expect others to help you, you also have to be willing to help yourself.

April 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Veteran
As a Katrina victim who was displaced for about 7 months---I feel it is ridiculous that people still have not managed to find housing of their own--relieving FEMA of their duty. I can't fathom a reason someone-after this long--could not have moved on. I lost a lot and received quite a bit from FEMA...

I would report that family to FEMA, to be honest--at least, I'd want to.
April 30th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Veteran
Quote:
First of all let me say that FEMA sucks![/b]
Can you expand on that? I found FEMA to be very generous and quick to action. I received temporary housing money within 2 weeks of the storm.

ETA: No organization can be prepared for a disaster of that size.
April 30th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Quote:
First of all let me say that FEMA sucks![/b]
Can you expand on that? I found FEMA to be very generous and quick to action. I received temporary housing money within 2 weeks of the storm.

ETA: No organization can be prepared for a disaster of that size.
[/b]

I think they haven't handled things as well as they should have. You are totally right that no organization could be prepared for a disaster that size. However, it doesn't seem like they handled everyone equally. I think some people have taken advantage of the help (like in the story above) and others have had a really hard time getting what they need.

Although, now that I think about it more it seems that a lot of the insurance companies are the true devils in the situation.

April 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Veteran
Not to mention any names-- State Farm ..

I feel that FEMA has done a great job considering the circumstances. Pretty much anyone in the area--was immediately given money for temp. shelter and relocation. And after that it boiled down to people applying for the different types of aid. A FEMA representative met me at my old apartment to look at the damage, and then rewarded me what he felt was appropriate based on my loss.

Of course FEMA wouldn't be giving money to those who are abusing it if they knew---it's hard to be so particular with sooo many people applying though. People who truly needed the money, I'd be surprised if they didn't get it.

And I can't even blame the insurance companies for the most part. Many people around here are suing them to this day.. but really---they should have read the small writing on the papers they signed.
April 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM
LOL State Farm was the first one that came to my mind too.

I feel bad because I think some of the insurance companies have taken advantage of people in a bad situation.

Anyway we have gotten off topic here! Sorry!

May 1st, 2007, 05:38 AM
Veteran
O/T but after Katrina--I was in Pensacola staying at a hotel and there was a house there that had this written on the roof.. "Like a bad neighbor, State Farm is There"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search