Reincarnation

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am interested in how many in here do believe in reincarnation. I would love to hear what you believe specifically, and how you came to that belief.

I ask because I had this friend who claimed to be an old soul... one of the oldest. And honestly, there was something different about her. She was a lot calmer, more patient, more observant than most people. How can I explain... she could almost read moods. You wouldn't even be doing anything and she would say "You had a fight with your mom last night didn't you" and she'd be right. However, she never claimed to be psychic.

She and I went camping way out in the mountains of Tennessee once, and in the dark by the fire, after a couple of beers (lol) she confided in me why she felt that she had been reincarnated. She related to me some experiences she says she has not told anyone else before, and to be honest, some of it was pretty freaky. Some things she has seen since childhood, things that she can foresee. I believe that SHE believes in this, and has some plausible reasons for that belief.

If I wasn't so hung up on having personal/tangible proof of things before believing in them, I think she may have changed my mind that night. The next day she did not want to discuss it anymore, she felt she'd said too much. According to her, I'm only on my second or third trip through and couldn't be expected to understand. I still think about it a lot - her and her theories. (She moved to Tennessee shortly thereafter and kinda disappeared off the grid.)

So if anyone can fill me in on their version or belief of reincarnation, and if you have any experiences that brought you to that belief, I am extremely interested!! I would like to fill in the holes of my understanding about that spiritual belief. I hope you won't mind if I ask questions along the way. Thanks!

April 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I believe in reincarnation and I have specific beliefs about it, HOWEVER, I also believe that no one truely knows what happens when we die. I could be completely wrong (and I'm sure I am in at least one aspect or another in my beliefs).

Anyways, my specific beliefs are that when we die our soul "rests" and "cleanses" in the spirit realm until it is ready to be reborn. In that time our souls may choose to do other things in the spirit realm, such as being a spirit guide (or "guardian angel") for a living person, or things similar to that.

This may sound "out there" to some people... but its what I believe.

I dont have any real reason why I believe thats how it works... that's just what I believe. It makes sense to me, even though it may sound nutty to others.

April 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I believe in reincarnation, but it's a relatively new belief of mine. I converted to Buddhism from Christianity a few months ago, and only started studying Buddhism last November after a friend of mine died. Buddhism always talks about reinforcing your beliefs with your own experiences, and not just taking any scripture's word for it - I have no idea how you'd do that for reincarnation lol Reincarnation just *feels* right to me, in terms of logic and physics at least; but on the flip side, I'm working on understanding other concepts (like karma, or anatta, or the middle path) by applying them to my daily life or trying to experience them, and sometimes they're just beyond me and my experiences lol.

Anyway, I happen to believe that there's no beginning, and really, no end; so I don't happen to agree with your friend's belief that you're in your third or fourth time around - because the way I see it, there's no way to tell exactly where you are in your rebirth cycle. Buddhism does talk about "nirvana" or being enlightened, but that shouldn't be mistaken for an "end" either. At least the way I understand it.

Everything (even us) is energy, and energy is never lost - just changed. Karma is just cause and effect (not good or bad) and how you act influences how you will be "reborn" (which is a whole other definition lol). Not as "punishment", because there's no one to punish you (i.e., if you act like a dog towards women you'll be reborn as a dog). But you're in total control.

From Wikipedia, which I think happens to have a pretty good definition of rebirth and what I believe it to be: "The consciousness arising in the new person is neither identical to, nor different from, the old consciousness, but forms part of a causal continuum or stream with it".
May 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
Veteran
My belief in reincarnation came through various journeys but it was the book Many Lives Many Masters that sealed it for me. I also from a logical standpoint I believe that we cannot experience everything in one life so the concept of reincarnation allows us to experience everything and makes life fair in which we will be beautiful, not so beautiful,rich,poor and everything else under the son.
May 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also believe in reincarnation. It's ridiculous to think t hat a loving G-d would give us one chance and that's it. If you fail, you're doomed forever. I believe that our sould have missions to fulfill and things to learn and one lifetime isn't enough. G-d gives us many chances to learn and grow.

Sharon
May 1st, 2007, 05:36 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I also believe in reincarnation. It's ridiculous to think t hat a loving G-d would give us one chance and that's it. If you fail, you're doomed forever. I believe that our sould have missions to fulfill and things to learn and one lifetime isn't enough. G-d gives us many chances to learn and grow.

Sharon[/b]

There was a book I seen in the Jewish section of Barnes And Noble discussing this very topic and other aspects of life after death. I do not remember the title or the author but if you are interesting in finding out the book google searching the book topic might bring it up.
May 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Pure Innocence
I believe that we have "two" souls. Our ONE soul goes to Summerland where we rest until we are prepared to be reincarnated. Our "residual" soul from each life you have lived stays on a plane of some sort (haven't thought this all out 100%) so that we can be with our loved ones of THIS life forever.

Why do I believe this? Well, because there have been too many encounters of ppl contacting their passed loved ones and saying they have seen them during near death experiences.

Also, I agree with Niamh in the fact that I could be completely wrong because no one knows 100% until they die.
May 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Quote:
There was a book I seen in the Jewish section of Barnes And Noble discussing this very topic and other aspects of life after death. I do not remember the title or the author but if you are interesting in finding out the book google searching the book topic might bring it up.[/b]
There are several books on the topic. To be honest, it's not a topic I've read much about. I'm more interested in the practical aspect of Judaism and it's spiritual reasoning. Maybe I don't like to think about death that much
But my library is always willing to welcome new Jewish books. Dh is practically addicted to reading religion books.

Sharon
May 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who replied so far, it's so fascinating. I really appreciate your input. Ok question time:

Quote:
Anyways, my specific beliefs are that when we die our soul "rests" and "cleanses" in the spirit realm until it is ready to be reborn. In that time our souls may choose to do other things in the spirit realm, such as being a spirit guide (or "guardian angel") for a living person, or things similar to that.[/b]
Niamh, actually this doesn't sound nutty to me at all. In fact, it's very similar to my friend's beliefs as well. She felt that she did have a spiritual companion who wasn't of this world but who had been a prominent person in her past lives who for whatever reason wasn't able to accompany her in this one, in the flesh. Sort of like a soul mate, I guess.

Do you believe in the concept of soul mates, such as two souls who reincarnate together two or more times and "recognize" each other when they meet again? Perhaps one of them reincarnates while the other looks out for them, such as my friend believed?

Quote:
Anyway, I happen to believe that there's no beginning, and really, no end; so I don't happen to agree with your friend's belief that you're in your third or fourth time around - because the way I see it, there's no way to tell exactly where you are in your rebirth cycle. Buddhism does talk about "nirvana" or being enlightened, but that shouldn't be mistaken for an "end" either. At least the way I understand it.[/b]
OceanChild, so, would there be any way to tell how much wisdom or enlightenment one soul has acquired? Do you feel that a person here on earth might "feel different" from others, feeling like an older soul?

Quote:
Everything (even us) is energy, and energy is never lost - just changed. Karma is just cause and effect (not good or bad) and how you act influences how you will be "reborn" (which is a whole other definition lol). Not as "punishment", because there's no one to punish you (i.e., if you act like a dog towards women you'll be reborn as a dog). But you're in total control.[/b]
OceanChild again, I have to say that I like this explanation of karma. It's more a "using the constant laws of energy to bring about good or bad results" rather than a "the universe is consciously judging and punishing or rewarding you." The latter idea of karma is way too sky-god-ish for me, personally.

My question about karma as related to reincarnation is, do you believe that there IS some kind of after-death shake-down, or judgment day or what have you, which dictates what the next life will be? (A conscious god or universe explanation)... or do you believe that the constant and natural laws of the universe somehow puts people on their rightful track?

Quote:
I also from a logical standpoint I believe that we cannot experience everything in one life so the concept of reincarnation allows us to experience everything and makes life fair in which we will be beautiful, not so beautiful,rich,poor and everything else under the son.[/b]
ThomasL, this belief is appealing to me because it is based upon a really optimistic hope or belief that the universe is a good, fair place. I'd like to believe that it is, and that we wouldn't be so cruelly limited to just one life.

Quote:
I also believe in reincarnation. It's ridiculous to think t hat a loving G-d would give us one chance and that's it. If you fail, you're doomed forever. I believe that our sould have missions to fulfill and things to learn and one lifetime isn't enough. G-d gives us many chances to learn and grow.[/b]
Sharon, I have to be honest when I say that I was surprised to see you on here! I don't know why, but I guess I thought of you as being a more by-the-book person when it comes to religion! Forgive me as I do not know all there is to know about what Judaism says regarding the after-life. I have heard that there are different theories and interpretations given by different Jewish texts. Is that true? I have also heard that some (reformed, I think) Jews don't believe in an afterlife, is that true as well? I'd LOVE to learn more about the intersection of Judaism and reincarnation.

Quote:
I believe that we have "two" souls. Our ONE soul goes to Summerland where we rest until we are prepared to be reincarnated. Our "residual" soul from each life you have lived stays on a plane of some sort (haven't thought this all out 100%) so that we can be with our loved ones of THIS life forever.[/b]
Pure Innocence, as I said to Sharon above, I'd also LOVE to learn more about the intersection of Paganism and reincarnation. Is reincarnation a widespread belief in Paganism, or is it something you've arrived at more personally?

I hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am! I welcome ALL input as I explore this idea more fully... so no one should hesitate to jump right in! Thanks!

May 2nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Pure Innocence
Yes, reincarnation is a widespread pagan belief, although not every pagan division believes in this I've been pagan for a few years, although reincarnation has been something that I've slowly over time come to believe.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, I happen to believe that there's no beginning, and really, no end; so I don't happen to agree with your friend's belief that you're in your third or fourth time around - because the way I see it, there's no way to tell exactly where you are in your rebirth cycle. Buddhism does talk about "nirvana" or being enlightened, but that shouldn't be mistaken for an "end" either. At least the way I understand it.
OceanChild, so, would there be any way to tell how much wisdom or enlightenment one soul has acquired? Do you feel that a person here on earth might "feel different" from others, feeling like an older soul?
(Disclaimer: Anything I say on the topic of reincarnation is just how *I've* interpreted the scriptures and sutras in Buddhism...it doesn't necessarily mean it's a widespread Buddhist belief lol).

I don't really think that energy retains wisdom, or "right" or "wrong". I feel that it's more like: your energy is influenced by what you do, what you think, what you say...in every single moment, in this life, in the last life, in the next life (because there's really no distinction with your energy between this life and the next life, one minute you're breathing in this one, and the next moment you're breathing in the next life, and one body has died in the process, KWIM?). It's just constantly evolving and changing, with no beginning and no end, like I've mentioned.

I think you're more inclined to do something morally right, if that's the pattern your energy has been following, because doing morally right things in the past, places you logically in better situations. The same with doing not so great things - you have more of a chance of evolving and changing into worse situations and worse conciousness.

I have no idea how one would know if another was Enlightened in the Buddhist sense of the word, unless the person wondering was Enlightened themselves. If the person who's claiming to be Enlightened really was Enlightened, they'd have no need to tell anyone about it, because they'd be beyond the pettiness of bragging or trying to get ahead; or even distinguishing between Enlightened or not. That probably doesn't make much sense lol As for any other type of enlightening that has nothing to do with Buddhism, I have no idea.

I definately think that a person could be closer to Enlightenment and I would think you could tell. I've never met anyone personally, but I've read a few stories about children who reached Enlightenment really quickly, or people who understood concepts beyond most teachers after only practicing Buddhism for a short period of time.

Quote:
Everything (even us) is energy, and energy is never lost - just changed. Karma is just cause and effect (not good or bad) and how you act influences how you will be "reborn" (which is a whole other definition lol). Not as "punishment", because there's no one to punish you (i.e., if you act like a dog towards women you'll be reborn as a dog). But you're in total control.
OceanChild again, I have to say that I like this explanation of karma. It's more a "using the constant laws of energy to bring about good or bad results" rather than a "the universe is consciously judging and punishing or rewarding you." The latter idea of karma is way too sky-god-ish for me, personally.

My question about karma as related to reincarnation is, do you believe that there IS some kind of after-death shake-down, or judgment day or what have you, which dictates what the next life will be? (A conscious god or universe explanation)... or do you believe that the constant and natural laws of the universe somehow puts people on their rightful track?[/quote]

I don't, personally, believe there's a judgement - or even a lapse between when you die and when you move onto the next life. I just think that one moment you're say, dying in a hospital bed looking at the ceiling, and the next moment you're being conceived somewhere else. I don't know what I think on the matter of soul mates, or families being reincarnated near each other - I'd love to think that's what happens, though. I guess I don't think anyone or anything is putting anyone anywhere lol It just is what it is, so I guess that would be just the natural laws of the universe theory.

Different sects of Buddhism believe different things (I study Zen). Tibetan Buddhists, for example, believe that you can choose geographically where you want to be reincarnated in the world (the Dhali Lama is a good example of that one), particularly if you're Enlightened. Other sects believe that when you "die", you're faced with all the important people in Buddhism's history, and if you recognize them, can choose to be reincarnated as a human again. Zen Buddhism (what I study) rejects most aspects of the Mahayana tradition (two basic traditions which encompass the different sects - Mahayana and Thervada), the bodhisattvas, the other buddhas, the sacred texts and encourages the student to find their true "Buddha-nature", which is basically Enlightenment (realizing the truth about everything, which you can't do without meditation, because the ego is so entwined in life).
May 2nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Sharon, I have to be honest when I say that I was surprised to see you on here! I don't know why, but I guess I thought of you as being a more by-the-book person when it comes to religion! Forgive me as I do not know all there is to know about what Judaism says regarding the after-life. I have heard that there are different theories and interpretations given by different Jewish texts. Is that true? I have also heard that some (reformed, I think) Jews don't believe in an afterlife, is that true as well? I'd LOVE to learn more about the intersection of Judaism and reincarnation.[/b]
Judaism believes in reincarnation. The source for that is the Zohar, which is the kabbalistic text. it's an extremely difficult text and I don't much about kabbalah. I think I'll let the rabbi from aish.com explain it in laymen terms in this link: http://www.aish.com/rabbi/ATR_browse.asp?s...ak&offset=1
Here's more info: http://www.kabbalaonline.org/Introductions...incarnation.asp

Sharon
May 31st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Ms.Michelle
Girls, I have been watching this thread and wanted to ask you all about your kids..

I also believe there is a high chance we are reincarnated. That got me thinking about what's in my belly. Do you girls ever wonder the full story of your own kids? Why they ended up with you?
May 31st, 2007, 03:01 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Girls, I have been watching this thread and wanted to ask you all about your kids..

I also believe there is a high chance we are reincarnated. That got me thinking about what's in my belly. Do you girls ever wonder the full story of your own kids? Why they ended up with you?[/b]
Never thought about it. It would be cool to do a past life reading on her (Tarot)....I may do that now that you've brought it up. LOL! Kailey ended up with me because as she planned out the things she wants to experience in this life, her "timeline" suits my lifestyle so that she will be able to experience what she wants. We can be in the Summerlands for quite a time (years even) until it's suitable for our next "mission" to be reborn again.
May 31st, 2007, 07:54 PM
Quote:

I also believe there is a high chance we are reincarnated. That got me thinking about what's in my belly. Do you girls ever wonder the full story of your own kids? Why they ended up with you?[/b]
According to Judaism, before birth, the soul knows what mission it has to accomplish during its next lifetime, therefore it chooses the family that'll best help it attain that goal. So, in a way, your children choose you.

Sharon
May 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Quote:

Yes, I do often wonder that. I've been told by my Zen teacher that disorders of any kind are considered to be blessings in Buddhism for a variety of different reasons. I didn't need Buddhism to tell me that, however - Julia, and the situations we've been able to be in because of her disorder, has been a blessing and learning experience from day one.
June 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I wonder why I chose MY parents, then... LOL.

I think that's an extremely interesting idea and I'm going to think on it a while.

June 6th, 2007, 04:40 AM
*Aspen*
Hey how is vegas?!?!!
June 6th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:

I think that's an extremely interesting idea and I'm going to think on it a while.[/b]
I've been trying to figure it out too! (I picked them? Yeah Right!)
June 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:

I think that's an extremely interesting idea and I'm going to think on it a while.[/b]
I've been trying to figure it out too! (I picked them? Yeah Right!)
[/b]
It's not so much you choose the actual people, you choose the experiences you want to go through in this life, and therefore you are born to people who will bring forth those experiences you want to learn from.

I know why I chose my parents. They taught me how NOT to be on so many aspects. If I didn't have the parents I do now, I'd be making the same mistakes as them, and damaging my children the same way some of the things they have done, have damaged me and my siblings.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search