What's the point?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM
paganempath
What exactly is accomplished in the debates here? Nothing anyone else can say will make me change my views. As I'm sure, most people here feel the same way. So is there a reason why the slightest topic is fought over like it actually means something? I just don't enjoy arguing for fun. Am I the only one?

And I can see the response now-- "If you don't like it, don't participate." And I generally don't participate. But it just makes me wonder if anyone thinks that someone will change their opinion if someone else quotes them enough.
May 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i totally disagree. why debate if you arent' open to changing or at least exploring your views? I'm reading that you are completely set on your ways and ideas and there is no convincing you of any other side.

Actually if you'll read the poll about learning in debates, you'll see you are in a minority

May 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have changed my opinion a lot, if someone gives me something to think about that I haven't thought about before I could easily change my mind of any giving subject.

I just have an open mind I guess.....
May 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
tevinsangel
I used to be dead set in my views when I first came here. It was a "I've always thought this way, nothing can change me" mindset I had. I have to honestly say that reading these debates with an OPEN mind has changed my mind on a few minor things. Now, I have to say, I still hold firm on my beliefs about abortion and major issues like that. But things like baby wearing and co-sleeping, those views have been changed. When I first came here, I would have never in a million years tried co-sleeping but after lots of reading and being desperate for sleep, I tried it. It lasted for about 7 weeks, but it was just enough time to teach my little guy how to sleep well and then I moved him to a crib. Also, baby wearing would have freaked me out 2 years ago, now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread! When you come to the debate boards, it's not about compromising your beliefs, etc. it's about gaining insight and knowledge from other's view points that you would have never even thought of or considered. And I'm sorry about my terrible run on sentences lol.
May 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I have changed my mind on more than one occasion as a result of the debates.

May 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I try to keep an open mind when I come here. I know that my opinion is just that...an opinion and that others are entitled to their own opinion.

I think it is healthy to inform yourself about two sides of a debate because it helps you to make a more educated decision.

I have learned things in just the short time that I have been coming here.

I will admit that I don't like when people take it too far and twist words around but I guess when things get heated that will sometimes happen.

May 1st, 2007, 11:33 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Hm... well, you probably won't see me speak up too often in the debates about the big issues, because on certain things I have my opinions and they probably aren't going to change at least not fundamentally, and I don't want to feel like I'm just arguing. However, I love to read them. I think it's a good thing to learn more about the other side of the issue, and to try to do that with an open mind. I also feel that both as a parent and a future educator (especially given my discipline - social studies) it's important to be versed in both sides of these big issues and why people on both sides feel the way they do. That way, I will be better prepared to help my students and my kids think about these issues and consider all sides. I think it's important to encourage thought and debate and to play devil's advocate sometimes, especially in reference to teaching, but even just in my own life.
May 1st, 2007, 11:35 AM
Super Mommy
I not only enjoy changing my views, as there are a few things I still haven't decided my position on (Gay Marriage for one) but I also enjoy "shoring up" my arguments on my side!

E

May 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
lol, actually, I DO like to argue for fun.

Quote:
With many debates there is not hard and fast right or wrong answer. A discussion opens us all up to the varying shades of gray in an argument.[/b]
May 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM
mommyKathyX3
I've always been intrigued WHY some people believe what they do, and I was too chicken**** to ask, so this has been an awesome chance to find out! And yes some of my opinons have been swayed a bit, but not changed yet.
May 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This debate board is a wonderful place to LEARN, in my opinion. You don't necessarily have to change your stance, but is nice to get educated on a wide variety of topics. Of course there are always topics that some will never change their views/opinions/stance (whatever you would like to call it) on, and that is perfectly fine. I just think it is best to be educated on the topic before you engrave your stance on the issue in stone. I'm pretty much always open to change, always open to learning, and always open to hearing the other side. I've learned a LOT through these topics on the debate board. I do not see debating and arguing as the same thing. I've changed a lot of my views through this forum because I've found out that I'm really not as educated on some topics as I thought I was. Once I learned more, I was able to make a more educated and reasonable stance on the issues.
May 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
mommyKathyX3
know thine enemy
May 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Some debates I don't participate, but I really enjoy reading. It's almost like school, I learn so much here that I never knew. And it has changed my mind about some things, like co-sleeping.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
There is no where else I can argue... things are too stressful in real life to argue over trivial items. I get to let off steam here.

Edited to add ... I do not come here to learn or joke ... sorry
May 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've learned a lot from debates. Maybe my views haven't changed in the specific issues, but I've learned to give others a chance and to understand that they may hold a different idea and that it's not necessarily wrong.
For example, I remember the first time I read that some people chose not to vax, I was appalled. I thought it was completely ridiculous and irresponsible. After reading what some of these mothers have to say and their reasons for choosing what they did, I understand them better and agree that it's a valid choice they're entitled to make. Personally, it's not a choice I would do, but I don't think these people are wrong or misguided anymore. I now understand that we have different experiences, lifestyles and backgrounds and therefore make different choices, even when having the same facts.
I felt the same way about homebirths, for example. I had a friend that had wanted to have one and I thought she was out of her mind. My mind hasn't changed in the sense that I still wouldn't consider having one myself, but my opinion of the people who do choose that is completely different.

Sharon

Quote:
know thine enemy [/b]

Sharon
May 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, i am so much more open minded about people, even if I wont do the same actions.. I at least UNDERSTAND now why they do what they do, even if I disagree

May 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Carly's Mama's Avatar formerly JackieGerhardt!
Send a message via AIM to Carly's Mama
Unfortunately, I think a fair share of people come to the debates with the sole intent of stirring up trouble or flipping out on one or many - that's not what the spirit of debate is about.

I come because I am a SAHM with a 4 month old allllll day long and have no contact with intelligent adults!!! I need mental stimulation!! Debates give me mental exercise and I enjoy reading the opinions and the information, and I really do learn alot!
Alexander Richard, born 10/21/09 via emergency c/s
8lbs, 7 3/4 oz
20.5"

May 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Unfortunately, I think a fair share of people come to the debates with the sole intent of stirring up trouble or flipping out on one or many - that's not what the spirit of debate is about.

I come because I am a SAHM with a 4 month old allllll day long and have no contact with intelligent adults!!! I need mental stimulation!! Debates give me mental exercise and I enjoy reading the opinions and the information, and I really do learn alot![/b]
This was my main reason. My mind has changed from time to time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search