Horse Races

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Is anyone else bothered by them?

I have already heard about them at least 5 times on the news today because the season is starting.

I think it is a horrible "sport" that is not only dangerous to animals but also to the humans who are riding them. I have heard non stop stories about Barbaro (sustained injuries in a race which ultimately led to his death).

I think it is wrong to force these beautiful horses to race for out entertainment. I know people get hurt in sports all of the time but a human is able to make a decision about whether or not to participate. These horses are forced to do and are bred for that specific purpose.

I think it is wrong?

May 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Not concerned about them at all.
May 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM
I think most take good care of the horse but not all. That isn't my argument though because some people who own horses for purposes other than racing don't take proper care of them.

I just think it's wrong to force a horse to race. The races increase the likelihood of a serious injury. After a horse has had a career ending injury they are often sold to people who might not keep up the care or the horses are killed.

May 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I don't know anything about horse racing! There's a horse track about 10 minutes away from where I live, apparently, though lol
May 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Actually in my experience people do not give retired horses to bad owners... on the contrary.

They usually have very strict rules on who these horses go too.

I don't like horse racing but that is because it effed two families up for me. I have been effed over because betting on horses was more important than a roof over my head. OK so it is not the horses fault, or anyones fault but the gambler and of course the actual illness but I can not think of horse racing without wanting to throw something across the room
May 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I think most take good care of the horse but not all. That isn't my argument though because some people who own horses for purposes other than racing don't take proper care of them.[/b]
Correct. A horse requires feed, hay, Veterinary Care, Coggins test, weekly/biweekly ferrier visits, lots of space, stalls, etc. The fact is that most people who get horses like the novelty and have zero clue how to properly care for them. Those who own racing stock take exceptional care of their horses, in my experience. The horses have the best of everything. Many people will say that all race horses are put down after their career is over, and I have to argue the contrary. Those that I know of put the horse to pasture, where it lives out its days lazing and grazing and is used as breeding stock. Others are sold or adopted. Of course, as with any scenario, there are the bad apples, there are those that euthanize horses when they are no longer winners, but that is not the norm.
Quote:
I just think it's wrong to force a horse to race. The races increase the likelihood of a serious injury. After a horse has had a career ending injury they are often sold to people who might not keep up the care or the horses are killed.[/b]
Horses like to run, these horses are bred for running. The one in the scenario with the higher incident for death or injury is the jockey, not the horse. If a horse is sold or adopted, it is usually done responsibly, if a Champion is suddenly injured and unable to race it still holds great value as a breeder.

May 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
I know they like to run. I just don't like the idea of forcing them to do so for the monetary gain of others.

May 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
~JustAngie~'s Avatar ~Let your colors burst~
Quote:
Quote:
I think most take good care of the horse but not all. That isn't my argument though because some people who own horses for purposes other than racing don't take proper care of them.[/b]
Correct. A horse requires feed, hay, Veterinary Care, Coggins test, weekly/biweekly ferrier visits, lots of space, stalls, etc. The fact is that most people who get horses like the novelty and have zero clue how to properly care for them. Those who own racing stock take exceptional care of their horses, in my experience. The horses have the best of everything. Many people will say that all race horses are put down after their career is over, and I have to argue the contrary. Those that I know of put the horse to pasture, where it lives out its days lazing and grazing and is used as breeding stock. Others are sold or adopted. Of course, as with any scenario, there are the bad apples, there are those that euthanize horses when they are no longer winners, but that is not the norm.
Quote:
I just think it's wrong to force a horse to race. The races increase the likelihood of a serious injury. After a horse has had a career ending injury they are often sold to people who might not keep up the care or the horses are killed.[/b]
Horses like to run, these horses are bred for running. The one in the scenario with the higher incident for death or injury is the jockey, not the horse. If a horse is sold or adopted, it is usually done responsibly, if a Champion is suddenly injured and unable to race it still holds great value as a breeder.
[/b]

Having grown up in KY, horses and horse racing are pretty much the bread and butter of the state. Its just a part of life here.

I think its beautiful watching these magnificent animals do what they love. You can almost see it in their faces when they finish a race that they enjoyed it.

May 1st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I know they like to run. I just don't like the idea of forcing them to do so for the monetary gain of others.[/b]
I make my horses run for my pleasure. When I ride, running is my favorite thing to do, and it is a great workout. My horses love to run, they want to run, they are chomping at the bit up until the point I give them the okay to open up. Also, they are naturally competitive, if I am riding alongside someone else, if one person runs their horse, you better hold on if you want to walk, because the other horse is going to take off after the runner.

May 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM
~JustAngie~'s Avatar ~Let your colors burst~
Quote:
Quote:
I know they like to run. I just don't like the idea of forcing them to do so for the monetary gain of others.[/b]
I make my horses run for my pleasure. When I ride, running is my favorite thing to do, and it is a great workout. My horses love to run, they want to run, they are chomping at the bit up until the point I give them the okay to open up. Also, they are naturally competitive, if I am riding alongside someone else, if one person runs their horse, you better hold on if you want to walk, because the other horse is going to take off after the runner.
[/b]
Exactly!! I love watching horses enjoy themselves!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search