Stress during pregnancy

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, first off I must say that I *LOVE* watching Bravo TV's series Work Out.

However, tonights episode brought two issues to my attention that I wanted to bring here to get other opinions on. (the second issue I will start a new debate for)

During tonight's episode Jackie's mother (Jackie is a lesbian) told Jackie that she had read that a stressful pregnancy can cause hormone changes in the baby, which have been linked to homosexuality.
I hadn't heard this before, but found it interesting.

I know how wonderful some of you ladies are at finding statistics/research/etc. on things, so I was wondering what type of information can be found supporting (or not supporting) the above statement.

What do you think causes homosexuality? Do you think it is a choice someone makes? Do you think hormone changes during pregnancy (caused by stress) can be linked to homosexuality?
May 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
Veteran
Wow. That's an intersting theory. Maybe.. Honestly--I think someone may be born with a tendency--but I feel it is more environment than anything.
May 1st, 2007, 08:25 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I have never heard that before but it is interesting. Personally, I don't think it is a choice that someone makes. I do think it is biological.

I find it hard to believe that stress during pregnancy would cause it. Lots of women experience extreme stress during pregnancy and their kids don't become gay.

May 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM
I'm assuming that it doesn't mean ALL children born from stressful pregnancies will be homosexual. I stated that it can be LINKED to it.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, first off I must say that I *LOVE* watching Bravo TV's series Work Out.

However, tonights episode brought two issues to my attention that I wanted to bring here to get other opinions on. (the second issue I will start a new debate for)

During tonight's episode Jackie's mother (Jackie is a lesbian) told Jackie that she had read that a stressful pregnancy can cause hormone changes in the baby, which have been linked to homosexuality.
I hadn't heard this before, but found it interesting.

I know how wonderful some of you ladies are at finding statistics/research/etc. on things, so I was wondering what type of information can be found supporting (or not supporting) the above statement.

What do you think causes homosexuality? Do you think it is a choice someone makes? Do you think hormone changes during pregnancy (caused by stress) can be linked to homosexuality?[/b]
There are MANY areas affected by hormones (especially stress-related or induced such as cortisol, testosterone, etc.). Mix- or left-handedness (which are also linked to certain personality types, strengths and weaknesses, autism, etc.), irritability, low-birth weight, disordered attachments between mother and baby, etc. etc. etc.

And yes, homosexuality. I've seen quite of few of these studies, and I must say, I tend to be in agreement with them.

I'll see what I can pull up (though it won't be until tomorrow, since I am DOG tired after spending a good two hours on my english class presentation).
[/b]
I can't wait to see what you come back with!!!! (And others of course!)
May 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I can imagine that it does have some effect. I wish it was one of those things we had a clear cut answer to.

Even if it does effect some it then makes me wonder why it doesn't effect others.

May 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've actually heard it before, but have no idea if its supported.. i'll look

May 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Quote:
I can imagine that it does have some effect. I wish it was one of those things we had a clear cut answer to.

Even if it does effect some it then makes me wonder why it doesn't effect others.[/b]
For the same reason that smoking & drinking during pregnancy can harm the baby, but in some *lucky* cases it does not.
May 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
brittbratt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to brittbratt Send a message via Yahoo to brittbratt
I rarely post here but im going to jump right in on this one. I have a feeling that my opinion on this is going to be bashed but here goes nothing.

I dont believe this to be true. I also dont believe its biological or your just born homosexual. Men and women were created differently for good reasons. Hence the reason we have different body parts etc. I believe that men and women are made for each other and for each other only! If someone is homosexual, or thinks they might be or whatever its nothing more then satan, lucifer, the devil whatever you want to refer him as, trying to get them to believe that, to ruin Gods plan. Its nothing more then that. thats my opinion

ETA I just have to clarify that even though I dont agree with a homosexual lifestyle, I have NOTHING against them what so ever!!!! I think they are great people, I just dont think they are born that way and I personally wouldnt choose their lifestyle

May 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
Quote:
Though it won't be hard; I just did a 12 page research paper on domestic violence and its impact on pregnancy!!![/b]
hey there cece, i would LOVE a copy of your paper! i have BTDT and would love to see what studies show on your paper topic
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
May 2nd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Quote:
I rarely post here but im going to jump right in on this one. I have a feeling that my opinion on this is going to be bashed but here goes nothing.

I dont believe this to be true. I also dont believe its biological or your just born homosexual. Men and women were created differently for good reasons. Hence the reason we have different body parts etc. I believe that men and women are made for each other and for each other only! If someone is homosexual, or thinks they might be or whatever its nothing more then satan, lucifer, the devil whatever you want to refer him as, trying to get them to believe that, to ruin Gods plan. Its nothing more then that. thats my opinion

ETA I just have to clarify that even though I dont agree with a homosexual lifestyle, I have NOTHING against them what so ever!!!! I think they are great people, I just dont think they are born that way and I personally wouldnt choose their lifestyle [/b]

I couldn't disagree with you more than I do right now. I do not believe, nor do I agree, with a single thing you've said.
May 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:

ETA I just have to clarify that even though I dont agree with a homosexual lifestyle, I have NOTHING against them what so ever!!!! I think they are great people, I just dont think they are born that way and I personally wouldnt choose their lifestyle [/b]
You have nothing against homosexuals, but you claim that they are gay because of the devil? I'd say that's judgement, hatred and scare tactics at its finest. May I see some statistics that prove that homosexuality comes from the infuence of satan? Homosexuality is a result of the combination of environment and genetics, as HUNDREDS of studies have concluded.
May 2nd, 2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I'm not going to bash you....just going to laugh at your ignorance

May 2nd, 2007, 05:59 AM
7/07Mommy
Quote:

I rarely post here either, but I just had to say WOW. I wish there was a "shaking my head in disbelief" icon. sad, sad, sad...
May 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I agree that I think its an interesting theory. However I'd hate for it to be true...just one more thing for moms to blame themselves for. "My stress during pregnancy caused my child to be gay". I definitely DO NOT think someone chooses to be gay. They may choose to follow through on their feelings...but when given a true "choice" why would someone say "oh, I like the opposite sex well enough, but would much rather be hated and generally misunderstood the rest of my life"... Come on!

May 2nd, 2007, 08:48 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Guys I dont think she is ignorant per se, its just her religious beliefs. It might not match up with what you believe, but if someone really feels that things are spiritually influencing a person, no scientific studies are going to sway their beliefs! Its not ignorance, its difference of opinion. We aren't all copycats, You dont have to agree, but in matters like spiritual or religious beliefs, its not ignorance IMO, its just difference.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search