Rush Limbaugh makes a point.

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Veteran
What do you think of this??

Love him or loathe him, he nailed this one right on the head..........

By Rush Limbaugh:

I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their families know the dangers.

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent housing Make sense?

However, our own US Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.
May 1st, 2007, 08:37 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I didn't think Rush ever had anything to say that I could agree with. What is the saying? Even a blind pig occasionally finds an acorn?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
I didn't think Rush ever had anything to say that I could agree with. What is the saying? Even a blind pig occasionally finds an acorn?[/b]

ROFLMAO!!! I feel the same way!

It is appalling that military people never get the money nor the recognition that they deserve.

I am sure next in line with their hands out will be some of the Katrina victims. I don't mean that against anyone who is a victim but I am sure that some will feel entitled to large payments for what they went through.

May 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I think part of the reason is to protect the homosexuals from what could happen if it got out that they were gay.

ETA: Not to mention---these men sleep, eat, pee,shower, everything together. It could make a lot of people uncomfortable.[/b]
*Lightbulb over my head* Goes off to write congress and consult a lawyer.

May 1st, 2007, 09:08 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
Quote:
I think part of the reason is to protect the homosexuals from what could happen if it got out that they were gay.

ETA: Not to mention---these men sleep, eat, pee,shower, everything together. It could make a lot of people uncomfortable.[/b]

[/b]
Did this perhaps belong somewhere else?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 1st, 2007, 11:34 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

By Rush Limbaugh:

I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their families know the dangers.

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent housing Make sense?

However, our own US Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.[/b]
To the first bolded: The soldiers also put themselves in harm's way knowing the compensation, or lack thereof, involved if they were to die, knowing that dying is a distinct possibility. If the soldiers don't like it, they should stop signing up for service.

To the second bolded: And I wonder just how much money old Rush has in the bank. Does this editorial mean Mr. Limbaugh is volunteering to donate HIS money to the cause of soldiers' families? Because that would definitely be a start.

May 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Did this perhaps belong somewhere else?
[/b]
I sat here for like 5 minutes trying to figure out what you were talking about. Wow, OOPS!! haha

Quote:
Quote:

By Rush Limbaugh:

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.[/b]
To the first bolded: The soldiers also put themselves in harm's way knowing the compensation, or lack thereof, involved if they were to die, knowing that dying is a distinct possibility. If the soldiers don't like it, they should stop signing up for service.

To the second bolded: And I wonder just how much money old Rush has in the bank. Does this editorial mean Mr. Limbaugh is volunteering to donate HIS money to the cause of soldiers' families? Because that would definitely be a start.
[/b]
So why do the 9/11 victims deserve so much? They were just going to work like usual, just as all of us do. Life insurance compensation, yeah---but millions?
May 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Super Mommy
Did Rush get his money from us taxpayers? Nah, he got it the same way ALL celebrities do, we CHOOSE to give it to them.

He is by far nowhere near the richest person in America.

I totally agree with him on this one and many other things. I do not think the victims of 9-11 deserved the payoffs. What about the plane bombing in Scotland? did they get that kind of money?

And what Rush was saying is really just a nicer way to say the same thing Coulter got villified for last year. The Witches of East Brunswick, I believe was what she called them.

E

May 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox

Yes, our soldiers purposely put themselves in harms way. Someone has to.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Did Rush get his money from us taxpayers? Nah, he got it the same way ALL celebrities do, we CHOOSE to give it to them.[/b]
Maybe you do, but I don't.

When I lived in Nowhere, Indiana and NPR didn't even come in on the radio, I listened to quite a lot of Rush Limbaugh. It was that and the local Christian talk station (I like talk radio better than music). So I became extremely informed about the viewpoints and opinions of Rush as well as other conservative viewpoints. It was an entertaining and informative experience. I also boycotted all of the companies who advertised on the Rush Limbaugh show.

May 2nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Pure Innocence
What sickens me is that when someones family member dies, they seem to be consumed by their entitlement to money...and w/e amount it is they get...it's not enough for them and they want more.

How can ppl complain about 1mill not being enough money? NO amount of money is going to bring back your lost loved one. It's tragic, but money isn't going to fix the pain.

If my dh died in a car crash tomorrow, I wouldn't sue someone for 1million dollars because I'm entitled to it. I don't see the correlation between being entitled to money to compensate for a loved ones life. Am I making any sense here?
Ok, there was my little rant....

And for clarification, I'm not talking about a military husband or wife dying and the family being compensated. That money isn't given to the family members as a "hey your SO died, here is some money, feel better"....the money they recieve is to compensate for the financial burdens they will now endure.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Quote:
What sickens me is that when someones family member dies, they seem to be consumed by their entitlement to money...and w/e amount it is they get...it's not enough for them and they want more.

How can ppl complain about 1mill not being enough money? NO amount of money is going to bring back your lost loved one. It's tragic, but money isn't going to fix the pain.

If my dh died in a car crash tomorrow, I wouldn't sue someone for 1million dollars because I'm entitled to it. I don't see the correlation between being entitled to money to compensate for a loved ones life. Am I making any sense here?

And for clarification, I'm not talking about a military husband or wife dying and the family being compensated. That money isn't given to the family members as a "hey your SO died, here is some money, feel better"....the money they recieve is to compensate for the financial burdens they will now endure.[/b]
Even though I don't agree with the size of the compensation of the 9/11 families, I have to play devil's advocate about the bolded point. I believe that the families of those lost in the Twin Towers also face financial burdens. Many of them had young spouses and children at home, too. And I also don't think anyone "feels better" even if they have a large settlement or life insurance policy. Most if not all surviving loved ones would give back the money in an instant to have their family member back.

May 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
LaceyMommy2B
i have to agree with a PP, i wouldnt be asking for more money.. keep your money.. if my DH were to die, im not going to be worried about money other than what is necessary to care for my children.. i dont think i would need millions to do that.. 10 cars, a huge house, n nice clothes wont make me miss dh any less.

why is someone's whose DH gets murdered while walking down the street, any less important n deserve any less.. is their death less tragic to the family? should EVERYONE who has a SO get killed, get millions?

if my hubby goes to war n gets killed, i still wont need millions, just enough to care for myself and my children without STRUGGLING..again, millions wont make my life anymore complete without my hub.
May 3rd, 2007, 05:28 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:

And for clarification, I'm not talking about a military husband or wife dying and the family being compensated. That money isn't given to the family members as a "hey your SO died, here is some money, feel better"....the money they recieve is to compensate for the financial burdens they will now endure.[/b]
Even though I don't agree with the size of the compensation of the 9/11 families, I have to play devil's advocate about the bolded point. I believe that the families of those lost in the Twin Towers also face financial burdens. Many of them had young spouses and children at home, too. And I also don't think anyone "feels better" even if they have a large settlement or life insurance policy. Most if not all surviving loved ones would give back the money in an instant to have their family member back.
[/b]
to answer you...vvvv

Quote:
i have to agree with a PP, i wouldnt be asking for more money.. keep your money.. if my DH were to die, im not going to be worried about money other than what is necessary to care for my children.. i dont think i would need millions to do that.. 10 cars, a huge house, n nice clothes wont make me miss dh any less.

why is someone's whose DH gets murdered while walking down the street, any less important n deserve any less.. is their death less tragic to the family? should EVERYONE who has a SO get killed, get millions?

if my hubby goes to war n gets killed, i still wont need millions, just enough to care for myself and my children without STRUGGLING..again, millions wont make my life anymore complete without my hub.[/b]
I'm not saying they don't deserve money kking, but I don't see why they would be complaining about a million to not be enough. Is that making more sense? They do go through financial burdens as well, I am not disputing that. On the other hand Lacey, maybe they feel entitled to money because their loved ones died due to ..... a govt. terrorist attack so maybe the govt felt responsible for that?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search