Death and religion

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I was watching a show on PBS on Mormonism, which is one of the few religions I know next to nothing about, and an interesting thought was brought up by a historian (I guess because of a unique angle on the thinking of death in Mormonism).

And I quote (because I have DVR and I can pause lol):
"I offer a rather melancholy suggestion: that it [religion] would all vanish from us if we did not know that we must die. Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the center of all religions."

What do you think? If we somehow magically managed to forget that our mothers, fathers, friends, animals died so that we were unaware that we would die ourselves...would religion have survived all these years?
May 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I was watching a show on PBS on Mormonism, which is one of the few religions I know next to nothing about, and an interesting thought was brought up by a historian (I guess because of a unique angle on the thinking of death in Mormonism).[/b]

Ugh, FYI, that show wasn't accurate. I'm mormon and watched some of it and was appalled at the inaccuracies of a lot of it. So, if you really want to know more about this religion you don't know much about, don't rely on that show to give you accurate information. Go to the source.

On topic, that's an interesting thought. But I think if there was no death there would still be religion. People will always be curious about who they are, even if they didn't think life ended. And because religion isn't just a belief. It's life. You can't have one without the other.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

May 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I did think the show was a little off somehow. It made Mormonism seem very political and calculated. I always keep in mind when I watch shows (even shows on the History channel) that gnerally all of them are biased, and never just take one show's (or book's!) take on whatever as fact.

Anyway. Glad people are answering, thought I somehow managed to touch upon some taboo topic that no one was supposed to talk about lol

I guess that is true, about wondering where we came from, though I honestly never thought about who I was/where I was before I was born, until I started to think about my mortality. Before I really realized and internalized the fact that I would die, it just never occured to me to think about who I was before my parents, or where everyone came from.

Do you think if in the same scenerio (not knowing about death), people would just turn to science to figure out where we came from? I really think the #1 fear and curiosity is about death, not about why we're here. And if we didn't know we would die, then I guess we really wouldn't wonder about why we're here, anyway, because we wouldn't know that we would leave.
May 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Pure Innocence
I'm not sure, I don't think so. My religion doesn't focus on the after-life, it focuses on our life here and now and how to be free and live happy, healthy lives.
May 2nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Quote:
guess that is true, about wondering where we came from, though I honestly never thought about who I was/where I was before I was born, until I started to think about my mortality. Before I really realized and internalized the fact that I would die, it just never occured to me to think about who I was before my parents, or where everyone came from.[/b]
It's true that the most feared thing is death, so it's a good question to think about if we didn't fear death if there would still be religion. I think a lot of people who are apart of religion wouldn't be if there were no death, but I don't think religion woudn't exist. Even those who haven't thought about where they came from, must at one point in there life wonder what the point of life is in the first place, don't you think? Science may give some answers, but it's much more fulfilling to think that we're here for a better purpose then to just be born and exist. One would wonder, what's the point of that? And thus thoughts are turned toward religious thinking. Maybe not everyone would wonder these things, but some would, and those would be the ones creating and sustaining religion on earth.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

May 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What do you think? If we somehow magically managed to forget that our mothers, fathers, friends, animals died so that we were unaware that we would die ourselves...would religion have survived all these years?[/b]
No, I dont' think that's the case. At least my religion isn't about death, but about this life. Of course it states that we go on and what we do here eventually affects our eternity, but death is just a part of life. Furthermore, this quote implies that all religions were created by men, implying that there's no G-d or other force bigger than ourselves. That's a belief I don't share.

Sharon
May 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Furthermore, this quote implies that all religions were created by men, implying that there's no G-d or other force bigger than ourselves. That's a belief I don't share.[/b]
I agree. I was trying to find a way of saying that myself, so thanks!

- Thomas Jefferson

May 3rd, 2007, 02:13 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death.[/b]
This is exactly what I've thought all my life.

I definitely think that if we didn't know we had to die then religion would phase itself out. People are scared of the great unknown, and the idea that they are going somewhere else when they die is comforting. I don't necessarily LIKE the idea that when I die, that's it, I cease to exist, BUT I accept it regardless and concentrate on living my life to the fullest as a result.
(and to clarify, in using the word "religion" here, I am referring to the "god-fearing" types. [christian, muslim, etc] I guess this doesn't apply to, I don't know, wiccans or something)
May 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Furthermore, this quote implies that all religions were created by men, implying that there's no G-d or other force bigger than ourselves. That's a belief I don't share.[/b]
I agree. I was trying to find a way of saying that myself, so thanks!
[/b][/quote]

As another LDS person, just wanted to ditto what Betsy said. And also to add that I too feel that religion would still exist- even those that don't believe in God. But I also believe it would be around because there is a God who doesn't just create His children and walk away. As for myself, the faith I have in the life after death, the faith I have in my God and in His justice and mercy has taken most of the fear of death from me. As a child I used to fear it. I no longer do. Of course the pain of death is a worry, but being dead isn't. In fact I think of finally being at peace and it is a wonderful thought.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search