Is breast feeding an accomplishment???

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2007, 10:36 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Darn double posts...
May 1st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In this society, in this day and age, yes... i do think it's an accomplishment. Formula has become such the norm, and there is such a lack of support for breastfeeding, that i think it's become much less "natural" than it should be, and used to be. Just my opinion though...
May 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
yes it's an accomplishment IMO. it's what our bodies are made to do and is done naturally in most cases, then to make the decision to do it, is an accomplishment.

i do not have anything against formula feeding if it's neccessary, but i agree that it has become a "norm" in a lot of ways. it isn't used as a second resort, but now as a first and only resort when our bodies are yearning to feed our child.

something i am very proud of here is that WIC, a huge formula pusher, is now having the moms go through a BFing consult and education class before just handing over formula. THAT goes to show the increase awareness that BF is normal and natural and should be the first choice if possible.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
May 1st, 2007, 11:41 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Heck yeah! One I wish I could have done.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

May 2nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes it is an accomplishment.
The reasons why it is an accomplishment:
-it is more time consuming than giving a baby formula, meaning it takes several hours of your day (sometimes the entire day) initially, whereas formula feeding typically doesn't take that much time
-mom is the only one who can feed baby this way. other family members can give baby a bottle so mom would get more help
-it restricts moms activities to some degree
-sometimes it restricts her diet, or drinking habits
-people might find bfing physically tiring
-people may also feel like they are glued to their baby 24/7 and they find that tiring

But it is also a great bonding experience, and helps your baby get antibodies to fight off illness. So it is well worth the time and effort.

May 2nd, 2007, 05:19 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Yes, it is absolutely an accomplishment. I think it is MORE of an accomplishment for those who have had a difficult time and stuck with it, though. The end result may be the same, a BF baby, but for the mother who had multiple cases of thrush, mastitis, clogged ducts, latch issues, etc. and still forged on with the effort, I would say that is more of an accomplishment, because there was more sacrifice involved. ANY Bf'ing is an accomplishment, but succeeding through the things above is a larger sacrifice and a greater accomplishment.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For me it definately is, and I would like my medal and my cookie please
May 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
It is totally an accomplishment. I wish I had tried harder to do it.

...I don't see, however, where there is a lack of support for BF. I definitely got some snide comments about FF, and felt like I would have gotten a lot fewer comments about being young and questions about if I had graduated from high school (I was in college mind you ) if I hadn't been FF her. Maybe I'm wrong about that last part, though, and that's probably for another debate anywho...
May 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

...I don't see, however, where there is a lack of support for BF. I definitely got some snide comments about FF, and felt like I would have gotten a lot fewer comments about being young and questions about if I had graduated from high school (I was in college mind you ) if I hadn't been FF her. Maybe I'm wrong about that last part, though, and that's probably for another debate anywho...[/b]
Well, to be honest it probably partially depends on the area you're in. It seems some areas are more pro-breastfeeding than others. But in MY experience, formula feeding has definitely always been the norm, and it took me doing research on my own to learn about breastfeeding, and be able to stick with it. I of course got all the formula samples in the mail, and in the hospital. I got formula feeding centered gifts while i was pregnant, even though i had told people i was planning on breastfeeding. I had my doctor FORCING me to give my son a bottle of formula at 2 days old because of jaundice, which i later learned wasn't necessary at all. I've had several people's comments about "why not just give formula" as basically the answer to everything. I've had those "You're STILL breastfeeding??" comments even though my son was ONLY 4-6 months old. So yeah... for ME formula feeding definitely was the norm, and i didn't have much support for breastfeeding. It all had to come from me. But i understand how others' experiences could be different...
May 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
babiesrus
Quote:
In this society, in this day and age, yes... i do think it's an accomplishment. Formula has become such the norm, and there is such a lack of support for breastfeeding, that i think it's become much less "natural" than it should be, and used to be. Just my opinion though...[/b]

IMO, I have found in Canada it to be quite the opposite, regarding ff being the norm. If you choose not to bf it seems as if you are frowned upon. There is a lot of pressure from the health care professionals to bf.

Now, as far as an accomplishment? Well, I think that is based upon the individual. I don't think it is for others to decide if it is an accomplishment for everyone else but would rather prefer they decide for themselves if it is a personal accomplisment. I think if you have struggled with it and have overcome odds and feel like it's an accomplishment, then it is.

For me, personally, I don't feel it is an accomplishment, or it's not rated high on my list of things I have accomplished in my life. That could be because I never had any real issues bfing? I don't know. To me my accomplishments were bringing 4 children into the world who are happy, healthy and secure (for the most part). I have accomplished completing my highschool, getting a business administration degree, going to university -- those were personal accomplishments for me. Along with a marriage of 12 years.

Again, this does not say for the individual who is bfing, that it is not an accomplishment, personally. Does it mean because I ff now that I am any less accomplished? I guess that is for me to decide. But now, because I do ff I can't help but wonder if others aren't looking at me shaking their heads and thinking how I took the easy way out and became selfish because I chose to stop bfing now that my son is 5 months old.
May 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
chlodoll
For me it is a definite accomplishment. DS and I had a rough start but we got it together and I reached and surpassed my nursing goal. So I feel accomplished and proud that I breastfed. I dont think its an accomplishment that gives you bragging rights, its just a personal sense of satisfaction.

And definitely in Canada in alot of areas breastfeeding is the norm. The hospitals really push it hard. In every childrens doctors office I have been to there is a poster with these cute baby drawings on it that says, Babies are Born to be Breastfed. Or Every baby deserves to be Breastfed. I see more women nursing in my city then bottlefeeding.

For me it is a definite accomplishment. DS and I had a rough start but we got it together and I reached and surpassed my nursing goal. So I feel accomplished and proud that I breastfed. I dont think its an accomplishment that gives you bragging rights, its just a personal sense of satisfaction.

And definitely in Canada in alot of areas breastfeeding is the norm. The hospitals really push it hard. In every childrens doctors office I have been to there is a poster with these cute baby drawings on it that says, Babies are Born to be Breastfed. Or Every baby deserves to be Breastfed. I see more women nursing in my city then bottlefeeding.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM
babiesrus
Quote:

And definitely in Canada in alot of areas breastfeeding is the norm. The hospitals really push it hard. In every childrens doctors office I have been to there is a poster with these cute baby drawings on it that says, Babies are Born to be Breastfed. Or Every baby deserves to be Breastfed. I see more women nursing in my city then bottlefeeding.[/b]
Thank you for saying it so eloquently. That is exactly what I mean.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Quote:

...I don't see, however, where there is a lack of support for BF. I definitely got some snide comments about FF, and felt like I would have gotten a lot fewer comments about being young and questions about if I had graduated from high school (I was in college mind you ) if I hadn't been FF her. Maybe I'm wrong about that last part, though, and that's probably for another debate anywho...[/b]
Well, to be honest it probably partially depends on the area you're in. It seems some areas are more pro-breastfeeding than others. But in MY experience, formula feeding has definitely always been the norm, and it took me doing research on my own to learn about breastfeeding, and be able to stick with it. I of course got all the formula samples in the mail, and in the hospital. I got formula feeding centered gifts while i was pregnant, even though i had told people i was planning on breastfeeding. I had my doctor FORCING me to give my son a bottle of formula at 2 days old because of jaundice, which i later learned wasn't necessary at all. I've had several people's comments about "why not just give formula" as basically the answer to everything. I've had those "You're STILL breastfeeding??" comments even though my son was ONLY 4-6 months old. So yeah... for ME formula feeding definitely was the norm, and i didn't have much support for breastfeeding. It all had to come from me. But i understand how others' experiences could be different...
[/b]
Wow. Yeah, I guess it must depend on the area you're in. I felt like there was a lot of pressure on me from everyone to BF (family, friends, my doctor, Savannah's doctor, total strangers... everyone), but at the same time there was very little support. I saw the LC at the hospital for like a total of 5 minutes even though I requested to see her several times. (Not trying to make excuses... just explaining how my experience was.)
May 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
babiesrus
P.S.

With my post on accomplishment, I hope it is clear that the things I listed on being my personal accomplishments is in no way to insinuate if someone hasn't accomplished the same things I have, that means they are somehow less . . . the highschool thing, for example. I meant it simply as an accomplishment is very personal . . . and individual to each person.

I said highschool and further schooling being my accomplishment because of where I came from, education was not a high priority and my father always told me I was stupid. So to do those things, set those goals, was important to me.

I don't think I have bragging rights to say, "look at me, I finished school and you didn't", the same way I view any accomplishment.

Does that make any more sense?
May 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Yes, i feel it is an accomplishment. To me, FF is the easier choice. BF is much more difficult to stick with.

When I was BF Anthony I got comments left and right about how nasty that was, and too bad I couldn't afford formula and I had to give him Breast milk. I get comments about BF Anastasia. I get told I'm sexually abusing her, creating problems, that my milk isn't good enough because she's a small child, ect.... Oh and the "your STILL BF!" comments.....
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 2nd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Yes, i feel it is an accomplishment. To me, FF is the easier choice. BF is much more difficult to stick with.

When I was BF Anthony I got comments left and right about how nasty that was, and too bad I couldn't afford formula and I had to give him Breast milk. I get comments about BF Anastasia. I get told I'm sexually abusing her, creating problems, that my milk isn't good enough because she's a small child, ect.... Oh and the "your STILL BF!" comments..... [/b]
The lesson probably is that no matter what you do, somebody will have a problem with it. I got asked if I knew the benefits of BF, did I "even try", do I know that BF creates a better bond with the baby, does she get sick a lot because she was FF, Yeah, I could go on and on too. I think you have MORE reason to be upset about anti-BF comments because BF IS best.... but why do people think they need to say anything about anyone else's choices?
May 2nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Quote:

When I was BF Anthony I got comments left and right about how nasty that was, and too bad I couldn't afford formula and I had to give him Breast milk. I get comments about BF Anastasia. I get told I'm sexually abusing her, creating problems, that my milk isn't good enough because she's a small child, ect.... Oh and the "your STILL BF!" comments..... [/b]
The lesson probably is that no matter what you do, somebody will have a problem with it. I got asked if I knew the benefits of BF, did I "even try", do I know that BF creates a better bond with the baby, does she get sick a lot because she was FF, Yeah, I could go on and on too. I think you have MORE reason to be upset about anti-BF comments because BF IS best.... but why do people think they need to say anything about anyone else's choices?
[/b]
i think it's incredibly rude to go up to someone and start insulting their choices. You don't know the whole story. I never got a bad comment for FF Anthony when we switched, so I don't know how that feels but I'm sorry people were such jerks to you.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
For those who breast feed or who have breast fed, do you believe breast feeding is an accomplishment?

If so, why?
If not, why?[/b]
I think it's a very individual thing. If you encountered some problems and stuck with it because you felt it was important, then by all means it's an accomplishment. I don't live in a society that discourages BF, my ped pretty much told me to bf, I never really had severe problems (the usual initial sore nipples, etc) that would discourage me from bf and, to be honest, for me it was way easier in the middle of the night to grab my baby, BF while watching Nick at Night than going downstairs to the kitchen, grab the bottle, put the water, make the formula, heat the formula, go back upstairs and feed the baby. For me, THAT would've been an accomplishment
So I guess it depends on the difficulties a person had to face, the different temptations, etc. Even with my first son that had food senstivity and I managed to BF for 5 months I didn't feel like that was much of an accomplishment. I also don't feel like I failed, there were just circumstances out of my control. I did the best I could and my only accomplishment was finally making the choice that was best for my son. In this case, to accept that I had to stop BF before I'd planned.

Sharon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search