Dogs that don't like children

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Okay, this is going to cause me to rant a little. The problem with most small dogs and their owners is that these dogs are allowed to behave any blasted way they want and people are supposed to accept and think it endearing. A small dog can be in Petsmart or the dog park, pulling, lunging, barking and growling at every passerby and people think "AWWWW, bitsy is such a tough wittle doggy", when if my Great Dane were allowed to behave in the same manner, I would have the police and animal control at my doorstep to haul Tonka away.
The bottom line, is your MIL accepts this behaviour from her precious little puppy and she can resolve it, she just chooses not to. The dog is alpha in that household and therefore aggressive. Your MIL should begin by crating the dog when there are children over until she can get a handle on her dog. I would not take my children over to her house, because this is a dog bite/attack waiting to happen. You need to tell your MIL that she can chooose, she either crates her dog and gets her properly trained, or you and your children will not be coming over any more. You are putting your children directly in harm's way by taking them there, this dog, though little, is aggressive and if given the opportunity will hurt your child.

May 2nd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think she needs to keep the dog away from your child, by putting it in a crate or in another room when he is over. If she doesn't, I wouldn't bring him over to her house anymore (I know, extreme) but if that dog were to bite him, especially in the face, he could be seriously hurt or disfigured. I don't know who's fault it would be, I honestly think it might be more your MIL's fault but it might be a bit your fault too if you continued to bring your son to her house if she refuses to put him up.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Veteran
I don't think she should have to get rid of it, but put it in a crate or another room while your child is there.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would insist she keep it in a crate or I wouldn't come over - hopefully she will want you guys over and will do it
May 2nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
CJMOM209
It should be your MIL's responsibility to put the dog away when your child comes over. How would she feel if the dog really hurt your daughter? My husband's grandparents have a little chihuhia (I know I butchered that spelling...lol!). Anyway, that thing is a terror and I swear she is going to bite my son someday...she snapped at him when our puppy was there and our puppy went after her (funny how dogs protect their children...). I totally understand where you are coming from on this, because some people refuse to see that they can not allow this behavior from their dogs. In my experience small dogs are far worse when it comes to this agressive behavior because owners seem to make excuses for them like "oh they won't hurt you even if they bite you.... or oh they are just scared!". But if a big dog even barks a little they must be a rampant killer. Definitely a double standard....just a little pet peeve of me when it comes to animals!
May 2nd, 2007, 07:50 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Should my MIL get rid of the dog since it could harm my child or should it be my responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen? Who would be at fault if the dog bit my son, me or my MIL?[/b]
No I think that dog needs a better pet-mom though. Your MIL needs boundaries and so does the dog. It would be her 100% fault, not yours. I wouldn't go over there unless she agreed to boundaries like a crate for the dog, etc.

Oh I forgot.. I found the cutest dog book for children. It teached them how to approach dogs, how to ask the owners but more importantly how to react to dogs that are raised by bad pet owners.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Oh I forgot.. I found the cutest dog book for children. It teached them how to approach dogs, how to ask the owners but more importantly how to react to dogs that are raised by bad pet owners. wink.gif[/b]
What's the name of the book?
[/b][/quote]
Umm.. eee... ooooo... I .... ummmm... didn't buy it persay.... but I'd bet you could find one like it in your area.

It had tips like, if you put your hand out and the dog doesn't want anything to do with it, turn your back to it, don't make eye contact and wait for it to pass. Or if there is a dog showing it's teeth, to not scream, roll up in a ball and be a rock.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Not much to add. I agree with everyone's advice that she needs to train the dog or at least crate her when you come over there. Hopefully, she will be willing to do that.

My SIL's MIL (got that?) has 8 labs that are MEAN (I think it's the pack mentality. They are all outside dogs, not trained very much and not part of the family) and very nearly attacked my niece more than once. Someone always managed to get the dog or her, but my SIL eventually just stopped going over there because they refused to put the dogs in the kennel for her visits. She's kind of wacko though, so hopefully your MIL will be more reasonable!

Quote:
Okay, this is going to cause me to rant a little. The problem with most small dogs and their owners is that these dogs are allowed to behave any blasted way they want and people are supposed to accept and think it endearing. A small dog can be in Petsmart or the dog park, pulling, lunging, barking and growling at every passerby and people think "AWWWW, bitsy is such a tough wittle doggy", when if my Great Dane were allowed to behave in the same manner, I would have the police and animal control at my doorstep to haul Tonka away.
The bottom line, is your MIL accepts this behaviour from her precious little puppy and she can resolve it, she just chooses not to. The dog is alpha in that household and therefore aggressive. Your MIL should begin by crating the dog when there are children over until she can get a handle on her dog. I would not take my children over to her house, because this is a dog bite/attack waiting to happen. You need to tell your MIL that she can chooose, she either crates her dog and gets her properly trained, or you and your children will not be coming over any more. You are putting your children directly in harm's way by taking them there, this dog, though little, is aggressive and if given the opportunity will hurt your child.[/b]
That is one of my pet peeves (not meant to be a pun )
May 2nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok Stacey and Michelle, I've always been told Dalmations are not good with children... correct me on that if I'm wrong! I've seriously never looked it up and i'm in the camp of "there is no bad breed"

May 2nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Ok Stacey and Michelle, I've always been told Dalmations are not good with children... correct me on that if I'm wrong! I've seriously never looked it up and i'm in the camp of "there is no bad breed"[/b]
The problem with Dalmations is that there is so many problems with that breed, many are blind and/or deaf, many have problems with incontinence. Most of their problems with children stem from the fact that so many are blind and/or deaf, children can be startling and unpredictable, the breed is very sensitive and a bit high strung. The only dalmation I ever met, personally, was a doll and he was so wonderful with children.

Again, it just take a responsible owner willing to properly socialize the dog with children. It is not the dog's fault, it is the owner's.

May 2nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK so that makes more sense. Its not the actual dalmation breed itself, but how mutated its become and so many problems associated with it.. I knew it had to be something cause I dont believe breeds are bad!

May 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Quote:
OK so that makes more sense. Its not the actual dalmation breed itself, but how mutated its become and so many problems associated with it.. I knew it had to be something cause I dont believe breeds are bad![/b]
For the most part, if someone is interested in a Dalmation, they should be prepared for the very high possibility of a special needs dog.

May 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The bottom line, is your MIL accepts this behaviour from her precious little puppy and she can resolve it, she just chooses not to. The dog is alpha in that household and therefore aggressive. Your MIL should begin by crating the dog when there are children over until she can get a handle on her dog. I would not take my children over to her house, because this is a dog bite/attack waiting to happen. You need to tell your MIL that she can chooose, she either crates her dog and gets her properly trained, or you and your children will not be coming over any more. You are putting your children directly in harm's way by taking them there, this dog, though little, is aggressive and if given the opportunity will hurt your child.[/b]
Basically said everything i wanted to...
May 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
CJMOM209
Quote:
Quote:
OK so that makes more sense. Its not the actual dalmation breed itself, but how mutated its become and so many problems associated with it.. I knew it had to be something cause I dont believe breeds are bad![/b]
For the most part, if someone is interested in a Dalmation, they should be prepared for the very high possibility of a special needs dog.
[/b]

Just a side note...I haven't seen a dalmation in years and years...are people not raising them as much because of the special needs? Around here everyone has labs and beagles and recently terriors have come on the rise (I know all of this because I asked the vet last week...lol! I'm nosey!). We are the only Dane owners in the county.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search