Dog Attacks!

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Answer about you or immediate family
Yes 4 11.11%
No 15 41.67%
Other 2 5.56%
I have not been attacked. 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 06:26 AM
Veteran
Just want to see how many of us have been attacked, by what kind of dog, and what were the results? I want to see if there is any correlation between the stereotyped 'mean breeds' and what people are actually attacked by.

Answer it in the firsthand if you have had the unfortunate experience of being attacked---or someone in your immediate family if not.

Reply with what kind of dog it was as well---

I was attacked by a Chow/Boxer mix when I was 5 y/o. I almost died twice, got blood poisoning and have 4 scars on my face to this day. I'll take pics later if I remember. I also have a large scar over my left rib. One of my facial scars is VERY close to my eye, I was extremely lucky not to have lost it. I also got blood poisoning and was very very sick.

And before anyone asks if I taunted the dog-- nooo I did not. I calmly walked up to him and reached out my hand slowly to pet him. Which yes--I realize you shouldn't put your hand out to a dog you don't know---but a 5 year old doesn't know that--and a dog certainly shouldn't jump on top of a little girl who does so calmly.

I was the 2nd child this dog had attacked. The city put him to sleep.

ETA: Do you think dogs should be put down by the city if they attack a person---without being harassed or tortured by the attackee? Why or why not?
May 2nd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was attacked by a sheepdog but my injuries weren't that serious. I was running in a yard and this sheepdog (who belonged to my friend) apparently didn't like it when people run, took off, jumped on my back and knocked me to the ground and bit my butt several times. It drew blood but it wasn't that serious. I wasn't the first person attacked by the dog and I wasn't the last The next person to be attacked was my other friends 3 y.o. brother and it did the same thing to him, he even had the injuries to his rump like I did. After that attack, the dog was put to sleep. I don't remember how old I was, I think I was about 10 or so.

My DH's sister's dog randomly bit my arm REALLY bad while he was taking care of him. He was an overbred Alaskan Malamute. This was years ago, before we were married. The dog was on edge because his owners were gone and I had been around the dog for several days and reached out to pet him and suddenly he grabbed ahold of my arm and shook it really hard. He finally let go and blood began sleeping through my long sleeved shirt. I still have a scar from it. I never did like that dog though, he tried to bite several people in the family and even nipped at me a few more times after that incident. He was never put to sleep for that reason but he died in 2003.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
Veteran
I have to give this dog a little credit. It was on a chain... My mother and I had gone after church to visit an elderly shut-in. My mom told me that this was a mean dog--but I didn't believe her so I snuck out of the house and attempted to pet it anyways.

But regardless--this dog was mean! I don't care whether I should have been there or not. This dog would have eaten me if he couldn've. I just remember laying on my back screaming while this dog on top of me attacked me over and over. He even bit my mom's foot while she tried to kick him off. This dog would not have stopped until I was dead. I am scared of dogs if I'm alone to this day.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:50 AM
7/07Mommy
My ex-fiance's parents had a standard poodle that had to be locked in a room whenever anyone came to the house. Everyone was terrified of it. It had viciously attacked numerous people, including my ex- serious enough injuries to where some people had to be taken to the ER for stitches, etc. They never put the dog down. It eventually died of old age.

I've known other friends and family who have also been attacked by poodles, but I don't personally know anyone who has been attacked by any of the "mean dog" breeds.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Veteran
ETA: I felt NO pain. I went into shock. We were in my mom's car going to the hospital and I was begging her to take me home because I didn't feel any pain and was scared of the hospital. I looked in the mirror and you couldn't see ANY of my face. It was covered in blood. My whole shirt was red with blood. It was gross. My grandma took a picture of me recovering and my mom won't let me have it because she says it hurts her too much to look at it and thinks it would make me upset to see.

Oh yeah I don't think I've ever met a 'nice' poodle! Or a chihuahua for that matter.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a HUGE dog lover. We adopted our dog from a rescue shelter, I donate money to them and the Humane Society, etc., etc.

I still think dogs should be put to sleep after they attack. I'm not talking about a snap where they bite someone quickly and may or may not break the skin. That, I believe, can be workable with proper training. It's an instinctual reaction most dogs would have before they are taught it is not appropriate.

A true attack, however, is not workable. When a dog goes off the deep end like that, I don't believe any amount of training will rid the dog of it's emotional/aggression issues. It breaks my heart, but I don't see how it would work. Some dogs only have issues with children. If that is the case, I can see how sending the dog to live with people without children *might* be a decent solution. Still, I'm not sure how to guarantee that dog will NEVER get out or the owner will NEVER have children on the property.

The whole issue is an upsetting one. If all dog owners were responsible and attentive to their dogs' needs and emotional state, I think almost all attacks could be avoided.

ETA: As in HoorahFly's story, the dog was not properly attended. A dog (especially an aggressive dog) should never be left tied out in the yard like that, both for others' sake as well as its own.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 2nd, 2007, 07:05 AM
Veteran
^ I agree. Putting animals to sleep is actually very humane, although sad. And when compared to another child potentially being attacked--I think it needs to be done.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:08 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Oh yeah I don't think I've ever met a 'nice' poodle! Or a chihuahua for that matter.[/b]
That should read "I have never met a responsible poodle or chihuahua owner" because those situations are not the dog's fault. I had a poodle, Bogart, who was the most well mannered tiny thing there was, he was stolen 2 years ago . I now have a poodle/maltese mix, Zoe, and she is a very well behaved, socialized dog as well. It is not that poodles or chihuahuas are vicious beasts, it is that the owners of these small dogs allow their dogs to behave in any fashion they want. They do not control their dog, they do not act as a pack leader, they allow the dog to be alpha. Next time you see a nasty little chihuahua, be disappointed in the irresponsible ownership of that dog, not at the dog itself.

May 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Veteran
^True.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Quote:
Oh yeah I don't think I've ever met a 'nice' poodle! Or a chihuahua for that matter.[/b]
That should read "I have never met a responsible poodle or chihuahua owner" because those situations are not the dog's fault. I had a poodle, Bogart, who was the most well mannered tiny thing there was, he was stolen 2 years ago . I now have a poodle/maltese mix, Zoe, and she is a very well behaved, socialized dog as well. It is not that poodles or chihuahuas are vicious beasts, it is that the owners of these small dogs allow their dogs to behave in any fashion they want. They do not control their dog, they do not act as a pack leader, they allow the dog to be alpha. Next time you see a nasty little chihuahua, be disappointed in the irresponsible ownership of that dog, not at the dog itself.
[/b]
ITA. My MIL has a chow/lab mix, who is the sweetest dog in existence. He is a gentle giant and he wouldn't hurt a fly. I think the stereotype of certain breeds is sad, it depends on the environment the dog has been raised in. I do believe a dog should be put down after a serious attack if it was unprovoked.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM
I don't disagree. If a dog attacks, it should be PTS.

May 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
aik0aik0's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aik0aik0 Send a message via MSN to aik0aik0 Send a message via Yahoo to aik0aik0
I can't talk about it too much because this is still too raw for me,it has only been a few months. I would of agreed with everyone before I had our babydog named Curtis. Curtis grew into a 100lb puppy and he bit a couple people. We took him to dog obedience, had a personal trainer, had him in a training school, you name it we did everything we could for him (including working with him 4 hours a day for months and months and months doing his excersises and still he viciously attacked our next door neighbors girl who came to tell me my car windows were down when it started raining. She was 12 and he bit her so deep on the chest that it still haunts me the poor little girl. We cried for days because we loved him so much,he was our baby, we never had kids and he was ours. We had cried many times over this dog-when he destroyed our house by eating everything,including all my shoes. He ate my couch ,then my love seat and then anything. We were forced to give him to animal control and still to this day we have no idea if he was adopted out to the tarining program for dogs or welll you know. We still cry to this day about it...but when I think of that little girl I think that was it. That poor girl.How could we risk him doing that to another person,let alone a child? Some dogs, it is in their makeup and there is no way to change it. This dog had everything-we even had the personal trainer give up on him. We loved him a nd always will but...anyways...that's my story.

Born 1/26/07 6lbs 2oz 20 inches long!!
One month appointment 8lbs 4oz and 21 inches long!!
Two Month appointment 10lbs 10.5 oz! 221/2 inches long!!
Four Month appointment 14lbs 11oz. 24 1/2 inches long!!
Sixth Month appointment 16lbs 11 oz 27 inches long!!
Nine Month appointment 18lbs 5 1/2 oz 28 1/4 inches long!!!
May 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
ETA: Do you think dogs should be put down by the city if they attack a person---without being harassed or tortured by the attackee? Why or why not?[/b]
I think the owners should be put down.

Quote:
My ex-fiance's parents had a standard poodle that had to be locked in a room whenever anyone came to the house.[/b]
I don't what it is about standard poodles.. Neither of my dogs like them. My Roxy (25 lb beagle) took down one at the dog park because Brio (a show Standard ~ about 50 lbs) wouldn't quit jumping on her back.) I didn't feel bad about that at all and Roxy now goes to the opposite side of the park when Brio comes to the park. None of the dogs will play with Brio.

Quote:
ETA: As in HoorahFly's story, the dog was not properly attended. A dog (especially an aggressive dog) should never be left tied out in the yard like that, both for others' sake as well as its own.[/b]

Quote:
That should read "I have never met a responsible poodle or chihuahua owner" because those situations are not the dog's fault. I had a poodle, Bogart, who was the most well mannered tiny thing there was, he was stolen 2 years ago . I now have a poodle/maltese mix, Zoe, and she is a very well behaved, socialized dog as well. It is not that poodles or chihuahuas are vicious beasts, it is that the owners of these small dogs allow their dogs to behave in any fashion they want. They do not control their dog, they do not act as a pack leader, they allow the dog to be alpha. Next time you see a nasty little chihuahua, be disappointed in the irresponsible ownership of that dog, not at the dog itself.[/b]

Quote:
What about if a dog gets out and attacks your dog?[/b]
Bree, that really sucks. If you call the city, you can get the owner's fined. We have awesome dog by-laws here and if it happens more than once the dog owners get labelled with vicious dog status and they will be paying high renewals in an attempt to discourage them from owning dogs. (I'm sorry that happened. I would devastated.)
May 2nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
That is the problem. We called the city and when they came, they never got a fine because it was not an attack on a person That is what made me really mad[/b]
Really? My aunt's dog got attacked and she went with the bylaw officer and got the owner fined. That's too bad they didn't do anything.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Carly's Mama's Avatar formerly JackieGerhardt!
Send a message via AIM to Carly's Mama
I've been attacked twice... once by a cocker spaniel when I was relatively young. it was a mean dog and had bit the woman's other children but she didn't do anything about it. It bit me on my leg, broke the skin but it wasn't like a gaping hole or anything.

The second time I was like 13 and I got attacked by an Irish Wolfhound - HUUUUUGE dog. It lived across the street - and where I live, that's a far distance because my parents live int he middle of nowhere and have a big long twisty driveway, you can't even see our house from the road. I was playing with my dog int he yard, and the dog came barreling down the driveway after my dog, and got me instead. Tore up my arm pretty bad, I needed stitches. The owner never did anything, even though we tried.
Alexander Richard, born 10/21/09 via emergency c/s
8lbs, 7 3/4 oz
20.5"

May 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Any dog can attack but it's up to the owner's to train and teach the dog otherwise.[/b]
Very true. A dog needs to be trained and socialized from very early on. If someone gets a dog and leaves it tied up in their yard, the dog is most likely going to be aggressive.
Quote:
I don't think that every dog that bites should be put down. It should be dependant upon different things such as the dog's age (of course a 2 month old pup shouldn't be put down for biting) and if the dog is able to make a change along with other things.[/b]
I am not talking about a simple bite, I am talking about an attack. If a dog has some issue which causes unprovoked aggression, whether that is because of an irresponsible owner, an abusive past, or just a physical or mental illness which makes the dog's behavior aggressive and unpredictable, it needs to be PTS. If I had a dog that had ever attacked it would not be rehomed, it would be euthanized.

May 2nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends where the attack took place.

If someone who is not authorized to be on my property, jumps the fence into my yard, that is THEIR fault if they get bit. Dogs are territorial and if someone is in their territory they might attack.

If a dog is roaming loose and attacks, then that is a different story. It is illegal to have a dog running loose.

It is not illegal to have a guard dog on your property. Trespassers might be attacked, tough luck, but they should not have been there to begin with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search