Where ARE your parents kid????

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Veteran
UGH!! I am getting so fed up with kids who have parents that apparently don't pay much attention to what they're doing.

At Chuckie Cheese yesterday. Eliz and I were sitting by the salad bar. This like 3-4 year old kid walked up to it, reached up and grapped some pinchers with a piece of lettuce, put it up to his mouth and ate off the serving pinchers. Then he went on to the jello and more doing the same thing!! EW!!! WHERE ARE HIS PARENTS??? Finally, and employee came up and shooed him away and a little girl, I guess his sis came up and got him.

Then also yesterday--these kids in my community threw a frisbee right in front of me as I was driving(creeping) up the road. Then they did it again behind me and my neighbor had to stop while they got it. Kids see us coming all the time and run right out in the road in front of us!! Drives me nuts!!

Should I just learn to deal or are parents really not watching their children like they should be anymore?
May 2nd, 2007, 07:07 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
No, you're absolutely right. It happens ALL the time in MIL's neighborhood, I don't know what the heck the parents are doing, but the kids are just running wild, tearing up the trees, knocking the wood pieces out of the community fence, throwing trash everywhere Once MIL and I had to go outside and play crisis negotiator because there were a bunch of boys outside who had forced another little boy up into a tree and were throwing rocks at him! We had to drag the little boys back to their houses and tell their parents what they were doing, and they acted like they didn't even care They just told the boys to go back and play and shut the door. It's ridiculous, some parents just don't seem to feel responsible for what their children are doing.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I suppose if you wanted to take the time out of your day to report it to authorities or find the kids' parents, you could. But, you will probably just have to deal with it. I haven't had any kids cause destruction or anything but when we first moved into our house (it's a small neighborhood, about 40 houses and 3 streets in the middle of cornfields), we had a knock at our door so I answered it and there stood a tiny girl about 5 years old and she asks: "Can I come in?" So, I tell her if she wants to come in, she needs to go get her parents and they can all come over to visit. 10 minutes, later, another knock at the door, it's the same little girl and she said: "They said I can come in."

This totally freaked me out because I was just thinking how easy she would be for a child molester!!!!

So, I explained (I don't know if I should have said this or not but it seemed like a good idea at the time): "There are a lot of people who hurt kids and I don't want anyone to think I would ever hurt you, so I can't let you come in until you have your parents with you."

If I had my sh1t together, I would have walked her back down to her house and told her parents what she was doing, but I was in the middle of painting and had a friend over helping me.

I see these kids walking around without shoes on the street, out in the rain and without shirts on (in warm weather) and in dirty pajama pants. So, I think their parents are MIA a lot.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
We live on a cul-de-sac, so our neighborhood is TINY (12 houses on the block altogether) and at least 3 of the familes do NOT watch their kid (I think every single house here has at least 1 child, and a few of them are Julia's age).

The people next door to me have like, 7 people living in a 3 bedroom (I'm not joking), and one of them is a 1st grader who just constantly rides her bike in the street. If you go outside, she immediately comes over and invites herself to play with you and your kid, which is incredibly annoying. Sometimes I just want to sit on the lawn with Jules and the dog and read a book, not babysit my neighbor's child. She also constantly asks me and DH for string cheese, I don't know what's up with that.

The other day, I was talking on the sidewalk to the woman across the street, and it was dusk, probably 7 or 8pm. Another kid (different from the one in the previous paragraph) came outside and was just running around. We ended up having to knock on his door b/c he kept running in the street, and we didn't want to babysit for him!!

There's always trash on my lawn (not from us!), people let their kids play on my front lawn and leave their toys there. We had to start putting our car in the garage for fear it's going to get scratched or something. It's just annoying. I don't know why, but we seem to have gotten stuck in a neighborhood with very lazy parents lol I'd be mortified if Julia knocked on my neighbor's door and asked or string cheese!
May 2nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
UGH!! I am getting so fed up with kids who have parents that apparently don't pay much attention to what they're doing.

At Chuckie Cheese yesterday. Eliz and I were sitting by the salad bar. This like 3-4 year old kid walked up to it, reached up and grapped some pinchers with a piece of lettuce, put it up to his mouth and ate off the serving pinchers. Then he went on to the jello and more doing the same thing!! EW!!! WHERE ARE HIS PARENTS??? Finally, and employee came up and shooed him away and a little girl, I guess his sis came up and got him.

Then also yesterday--these kids in my community threw a frisbee right in front of me as I was driving(creeping) up the road. Then they did it again behind me and my neighbor had to stop while they got it. Kids see us coming all the time and run right out in the road in front of us!! Drives me nuts!!

Should I just learn to deal or are parents really not watching their children like they should be anymore?[/b]
First off, that is AMAZING how they GRAPPED some PINCHERS with a PIECE of LETTUCE! (just teasing)

I TOTALLY know what you mean. I watch my kids like a freaking hawk and am constantly apologizing when they do any little thing, even if its not a big deal. I hate it when there is kids being outright MEAN at parks and play areas and the parents are not even paying attention to them, but sitting RIGHT THERE. I want to smack both the kid and the parents. Pay attention!!!!!!!!!!
May 2nd, 2007, 08:47 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Well, I admit I've had embarrassing moments of parental distraction in public. It is easy to criticize until it happens to you.

If it is a family you live close to, and there is obviously a lack of supervision that endangers the child(ren) then maybe you have a responsibility to at least talk to the parents. But if you just happen to see a kid in public who got away from Mom or Dad for a minute (especially someplace as chaotic as Chuck E Cheese) you really can't know that the parents are irresponsible or don't care.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 2nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There is a couple that have a yorkie tied up outside by a tree, like a ft from the road. The dog ran out in front of my car, and lucky I saw it, most people just speed though without a care in the world, and I'msitting there waiting for the dog to move, the owner is standing RIGHT THERE too, and SAW the dog sitting in front of my car, and wouldn't move it or say anything to get the dog to move. THE DOG IS IN THE ROAD, I ended up reversing my car, and going around, so I wouldn't run over the dog.

And there is kids who will run out in front of your car as well. They're teenagers though, so they are supposed to "know" look before you cross the street, walk on the sidewalk, and parents assume they know this stuff. I had enough knowledge to stay towards the side of the road/sidewalk or go in the grass when cars where coming - but these kids I just don't understand.
May 2nd, 2007, 09:18 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm glad I'm not the only who is bothered by things like this. I have seen 2 and 3 year olds playing outside in my neighborhood with no parental supervision. I don't mean they are just playing in their own yard either. They wander up and down the street.

I have seen similar things at Chuck E Cheese. Two kids were playing with the soda machine and letting soda go everywhere. A manager came over and made them leave it alone and then tried to find their parents. Of course mom was sitting at a table talking on her cell phone and had no idea what was going on. She acknowledged the manager, shooed the kids away again and then continued her phone call.

May 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just curious... Were none of you ever left unsupervised as a kid? I mean, i read these stories, and COMPLETELY understand where you all are coming from. But then the more i think about it, when i was little, i was allowed to ride my bike or walk around my neighborhood by myself all the time. I could go play in the woods my backyard by myself. I could walk to my friends's houses or my baseball practice by myself, (again, if they were in the same neighborhood). But i also was one of those goody two-shoes kids, and never caused any trouble like you all are describing... so i don't know. It also was what was considered a "safe" neighborhood, so i don't know if that made a difference as well... So i don't know, were my parents wrong? Have times just changed? Does it depend on the kids and the circumstances?
May 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Yeah. But I had to check-in with my mom, and generally had to stay in eye-sight of the house (and usually my mom was in the front, gardening or something). I remember it being a Big Deal (yes, capital letters in my head, too) when I was allowed to walk/ride my bike around the block to the park there (where you *couldn't* see my house - oh my!).
May 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
My parents did let me ride my bike and things like that. I lived in a small neighborhood where we all knew each other and everyone watched out for all of the kids. It was like having 30 parents!

My parents never did allow me to run around unsupervised in a public place though.

May 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Super Mommy
I just moved last fall, so this is the first time we've been having nice weather since I've been in my new place...

When I was recently home on maternity one of the neighbors kids was constantly outside alone (about 4 yrs old). I would let my older son go play with him, but I never saw anybody out supervising and I always had to stay out and watch both of them (which is hard with an infant). One day we were going to a bike ride to the park (about 2 blocks away) and the neighbor boy asked if he could come. I told him he had to ask his parents and he immediately came back and said he could go. I didn't want to get in trouble for kidnapping or anything so I told him his mommy or daddy had to come tell me it was ok. Finally a male came out and said it was fine for him to go. He didn't ask me my name, where I lived, nothing! He just let this little boy go with me! Then the little boy started coming to my back door and asking to play everyday and inviting himself in my house. I got so frustrated. I finally started telling him my son could not play and to come back another day....he would come back every 1/2 hour!! I finally decided I had to find this kids parents or I was going to go insane. When I finally met his mom and told her what was going on she had NO clue that this was happening - the little boy is apparently home all day with a babysitter!

Quote:
I'm just curious... Were none of you ever left unsupervised as a kid? I mean, i read these stories, and COMPLETELY understand where you all are coming from. But then the more i think about it, when i was little, i was allowed to ride my bike or walk around my neighborhood by myself all the time. I could go play in the woods my backyard by myself. I could walk to my friends's houses or my baseball practice by myself, (again, if they were in the same neighborhood). But i also was one of those goody two-shoes kids, and never caused any trouble like you all are describing... so i don't know. It also was what was considered a "safe" neighborhood, so i don't know if that made a difference as well... So i don't know, were my parents wrong? Have times just changed? Does it depend on the kids and the circumstances?[/b]
As to the above, I was allowed to ride my bike, play outside unsupervised etc... but I don't think it was at 4 or 5 years of age. I think maybe more like 7. But, I also think we are in a much different society now then we were as kids and as our parents were as kids etc. So, I do think we have to be more careful with our children being outside alone.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yeah. But I had to check-in with my mom, and generally had to stay in eye-sight of the house (and usually my mom was in the front, gardening or something). I remember it being a Big Deal (yes, capital letters in my head, too) when I was allowed to walk/ride my bike around the block to the park there (where you *couldn't* see my house - oh my!).[/b]

See, i never really had to check in, and DEFINITELY wasn't always in eyesight. DID have to be home before dark though...

Quote:
My parents did let me ride my bike and things like that. I lived in a small neighborhood where we all knew each other and everyone watched out for all of the kids. It was like having 30 parents!

My parents never did allow me to run around unsupervised in a public place though.
[/b]
Now that, my parents didn't let me do...
May 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
my neighobr is horrible about that. her little girl is just younger than CAdence and she lets her run wild. on Saturday mornings she will be outside running around in her pjs at 7 in the morning. she runs all over the place and goes to the other streets and her mother doesnt care. I couldnt fathom that.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The people next door to me have like, 7 people living in a 3 bedroom (I'm not joking),[/b]
We are 10 people living in a 3 bedroom! (could be 4 bedrooms, but no one sleeps in that room...) I'm not joking! LOL!

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
May 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
It happens all over and always has. My mom would let her five run (this was forty years ago) because she said it was sooo hectic having 5 preteen and teenagers in the house at the same time. She knew where they were but knew so many people in the subdivision that if they got out of hand (especially the three boys nicknamed the Jessie James Boys) that they would call her and she would take care of it. The cops knew the boys by name also. I love all their stories.

My boys (10 and 8) are just this year allowed to ride their bikes in the street. They can go three houses away either side. They are not allowed in anyone's houses or backyards. I will never drop them off at a public place to roam.

We have a neighbor with a little girl three that is very unsupervised. She came out the other day naked except for a towel. The boys came and told me and I told her to go home. She has crawled out windows and been out in thunderstorms. No supervision at all. From what I understand child services has been called a few times but nothing has been done.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search