Did you marry outside your face???

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
The Today show talked about this today. The show was about people who married someone who they felt was much better looking then they themselves were.

They talked about what people think when they see a couple where one person is very good looking and the other person may only be considered average or less. What attracts these couples to each other and what do other people think.

It seemed that most people tend to think that if an unattractive man is married to or dating a very attractive woman he must have money.

If a good looking woman is dating an unattractive man people had mixed reactions to that.

Have you ever noticed a couple like this? If so what did you think?

One of the examples the show used was Donald Trump and his wife Melania. Do you think a beautiful woman would give Donald the time of day if he wasn't rich and famous?

May 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I think beauty/attractiveness is very subjective, so there's no way you could really answer what you're asking one way or another definately.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ha, interesting topic.

I admit it- if I see an ugly guy with a really gorgeous woman, I assume there is something about him that we don't know- like he is is HUGE, or rich, or there is some ulterior motive there.

I would not marry someone who was MUCH more attractive than myself. Or much LESS attractive either. He is on my level, so to speak.

May 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I"m a little biased against "pretty boys" so my first reaction is "well she finally got tired of being treated like crap and found a nice guy based on his actions and not looks"

I think my dh is attractive, although the pic of him in my siggie makes him look like he had an allergic reaction and swole (good god I dont know how to spell that) up like an oopma loompa.

May 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the <strike>beerholder</strike> beholder![/b]

May 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
I think most people are guilty of thinking at some point or another...."how did he get that girl" or "how did she get that guy." Some couples just don't seem to match up.

I still wonder about some couples. Lyle Lovette and Julia Roberts, Donald and all of his wives.

May 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think beauty/attractiveness is very subjective, so there's no way you could really answer what you're asking one way or another definately.[/b]
May 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's sad people even wonder about things... We all SAY beauty is only skin deep, but obviously most people don't TRULY believe that. I guess i just wonder, why does it even matter? Why do we have to look at a couple and question their motives? Why can't we just be happy for them and move on... worry about our OWN lives? I don't get it... But then, i know i'm odd when it comes to not really caring about looks.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
tevinsangel
Yeah, I'm going to be a stick in the mud and say it was "The Donald's" money that hooked his past wives and his present wife. There is no way in heck that comb over could be a turn on in the bedroom!

Quote:
I think it's sad people even wonder about things... We all SAY beauty is only skin deep, but obviously most people don't TRULY believe that. I guess i just wonder, why does it even matter? Why do we have to look at a couple and question their motives? Why can't we just be happy for them and move on... worry about our OWN lives? I don't get it... But then, i know i'm odd when it comes to not really caring about looks. [/b]
I've heard this "stance" on beauty/attractiveness and how it compares to the character of a person. I think if people are honest, they will say that the face/body/demeanor INITIALLY attracts someone "from across the room". I would hope it would be the character that makes you love the person after that initial attraction. That would be why many couples are still attracted to each other and stay together even after aging or gaining weight after marriage or being together.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to be a stick in the mud and say it was "The Donald's" money that hooked his past wives and his present wife. There is no way in heck that comb over could be a turn on in the bedroom! [/b]

I agree! That hair would be way too distracting.

I find it hard to believe when people say that looks don't matter at all. It isn't the most important thing to me but I think it is human nature to be attracted to something physically appealing.

I love my DH for all of the things about him but his lips just make me melt. He has such pretty full lips!

May 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
I like DH's body for sure (and his bald head). But he's a football players, with wide shoulders and a smaller waist, and I love it!

he's in the orange..

May 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to be a stick in the mud and say it was "The Donald's" money that hooked his past wives and his present wife. There is no way in heck that comb over could be a turn on in the bedroom!

Quote:
I think it's sad people even wonder about things... We all SAY beauty is only skin deep, but obviously most people don't TRULY believe that. I guess i just wonder, why does it even matter? Why do we have to look at a couple and question their motives? Why can't we just be happy for them and move on... worry about our OWN lives? I don't get it... But then, i know i'm odd when it comes to not really caring about looks. [/b]
I've heard this "stance" on beauty/attractiveness and how it compares to the character of a person. I think if people are honest, they will say that the face/body/demeanor INITIALLY attracts someone "from across the room". I would hope it would be the character that makes you love the person after that initial attraction. That would be why many couples are still attracted to each other and stay together even after aging or gaining weight after marriage or being together.
[/b]
But that's the point (or my point at least) that there's no guideline to what "beautiful" is, that it's very, very subjective. What attracted you to your husband physically might repulse me. I think my husband is the most gorgeous man in the world, but you might not agree with me. I'm not saying that it's wrong to be attracted to someone, just that it's wrong to make sweeping generalizations about who's attractive and who's not.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Quote:
I like DH's body for sure (and his bald head). But he's a football players, with wide shoulders and a smaller waist, and I love it!

he's in the orange..

[/b]

Aww your DH is handsome! He looks like the perfect teddy bear kinda guy.

Yes beauty is subjective. I think that we have all initially judged someone based on looks though. I readily admit wondering what some couples see in each other. Of course Melania may find Donald Trump to be very attractive (I just threw up in my mouth a little) but I find myself wondering that if he wasn't rich and famous would she have ever given him a second thought.

May 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Quote:
[/b]
Not necessarily... especially with the internet nowadays. For me, all the boys/men i've been attracted to has come AFTER knowing them and being friends with them first. The more i get to know them, the more attractive they become in my eyes. But again... i guess i'm odd that way.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
[/b]
But that's the point (or my point at least) that there's no guideline to what "beautiful" is, that it's very, very subjective. What attracted you to your husband physically might repulse me. I think my husband is the most gorgeous man in the world, but you might not agree with me. I'm not saying that it's wrong to be attracted to someone, just that it's wrong to make sweeping generalizations about who's attractive and who's not.
[/b]

Quote:
I find it hard to believe when people say that looks don't matter at all. It isn't the most important thing to me but I think it is human nature to be attracted to something physically appealing.[/b]
Well, maybe some of us just think there are more important things...
May 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Quote:

he's in the orange..

[/b]

Aww your DH is handsome! He looks like the perfect teddy bear kinda guy.

Yes beauty is subjective. I think that we have all initially judged someone based on looks though. I readily admit wondering what some couples see in each other. Of course Melania may find Donald Trump to be very attractive (I just threw up in my mouth a little) but I find myself wondering that if he wasn't rich and famous would she have ever given him a second thought.
[/b]
thanks on the dh comment.. he is one big teddy bear

I think its really subjective and changes.. people I used to think were attractive are not to me anymore, most often based on their behavior

May 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know about the Melania Trumps...To some degree I think they MUST be after money. Lets face it, Donald Trump is not an attractive guy. And he doesn't exactly have a sparkling personality either

My ex was technically unnatractive. When I first met him I was like "ew, no way would I date him" because upon first glance he was scary to look at...but once I got to know him, he became incredibly sexy to me. I learned that the scars on his face had amazing stories behind them. His teeth were messed up as a result of growing up in poverty in the Dominican Republic. His nose was crooked because his stepfather broke it in a fight, where he was defending his mother. I grew to love his imperfections because they all told a story, together they made this beautiful person that he was.

People would always be telling me "Oh honey your so pretty, you could do so much better!" and that used to make me so mad! He was an amazing guy, treated me like a queen, was intelligent, funny, and caring yet because he didn't fit some Mr. Universe prototype he was somehow "unworthy" of my love

Quote:

he's in the orange..

[/b]
I think your DH is adorable Lauren!
May 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
THANKS! I think the same way blondie, he has tons of scars and scratches and stuff all over, and it has so much history and so many stories.. I love that over, perfect hair, clothes, and the "pretty boy" type of look (thats just me I"m biased and got burned by some superficial guys but not all pretty boys are like that I know)

May 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
[/b]
Not necessarily... especially with the internet nowadays. For me, all the boys/men i've been attracted to has come AFTER knowing them and being friends with them first. The more i get to know them, the more attractive they become in my eyes. But again... i guess i'm odd that way.

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>

Quote:
[/b]
[/b]

Quote:
I find it hard to believe when people say that looks don't matter at all. It isn't the most important thing to me but I think it is human nature to be attracted to something physically appealing.[/b]
Well, maybe some of us just think there are more important things...
[/b][/quote]

I have already stated that there are more important things. However, I think people who say that looks mean nothing are only fooling themselves. It is human nature to be physically attracted to someone.

Studies have shown that people tend to be more attracted to people who have symmetrical features. Symmetry seems to be linked to fertility.

Here are some links to studies that have been done.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/06...tion_rules.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/376321.stm

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp...659&pid=694

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search