BFing support

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
i wanted to hurry up and spin this off,

do you think there is MORE support or LESS support for breatsfeeding now in days where formula is a choice? do you tihnk it has anything to do with how much one is educated or how much the partner (other parent) and family is educated even if the mom is completely educated on BFing and confident. do you think LLL (la leche league) is a help in this area where home support is lacking?
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
May 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think friends and family are critical to Bfing success. If they don't care about it, or they undermine mom's confidence, she will probably end up quitting.

Sometimes family members do more harm than good. Like if mom has a fussy/gassy baby and a family member says "Oh, maybe it's your milk, you should give her formula".

Or, mom feeds on demand and family members say "you're feeding the baby too much/not enough". Or baby is nursing for HOURS every day and a family member says "you must not have enough milk, you should give her formula".

It is actually normal for babies to be fussy/gassy. It is normal for them to nurse for HOURS. None of these things means the mom isn't making enough milk, or that there is anything bad in her milk. But if she doesn't know that, she might give up.

Family members have to respect mom's space and not argue or yell while she is bfing, or tell mom to hurry up. You can't hurry up a nursing baby. You can't BF if you are under constant stress from people around you and THEIR problems.

I think LLL can help mom and family members, but they have to be willing to GO to the meetings.

The more mom (and her family members) know about bfing, the better, and the more likely she will succeed with it.

I have kind of rambled on here, but to answer your question I think it depends on the family. Some families are VERY supportive, and others don't have a clue about Bfing. Many of our moms didn't BF and grandmas didn't BF so we can't ask them for any help because they don't know. Overall though, in the US I think there is more pressure to FF than there is to BF.

May 2nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I have kind of rambled on here, but to answer your question I think it depends on the family. Some families are VERY supportive, and others don't have a clue about Bfing. Many of our moms didn't BF and grandmas didn't BF so we can't ask them for any help because they don't know. Overall though, in the US I think there is more pressure to FF than there is to BF.[/b]
I agree... That's been my experience too...
May 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
M4NE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got a lot of support from my family when I tried to BF Daniel, but I also got lots of support when I chose to FF. The area I live in is pretty much half and half. IRL, I never encountered any negative comments during the short time I BF, nor did I encounter any negative comments about FF. I do think that support (from family, friends, and the public in general) is crucial to any parenting choice. It's harder to stick to your guns about things if you're constantly having to endure negative comments.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 3rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Pure Innocence
I think BFing is more dominant in some areas...but overall, formula has taken over, which I don't know HOW, but that is a different debate I guess...
May 3rd, 2007, 11:43 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had zilch support. I had none from family and some from the ABA (who never returned any of my calls). My mother was on me from day one to "put her on the bottle". She made me feel like a moron for wanting to BF my child. I don't care if I was a ff baby and turned out ok, I wanted, no needed, that support.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search