Influence and People

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally don't think anyone can be born essentially evil. I think there has to be SOME influence in their life that makes them that way... i also think we all make choices, and to do wrong, or be "evil" is just one of those. Not that i think anyone truly THINKS they're evil... but i think you get what i'm saying.

But yeah, i think we are all born innocent... To say someone is inherently evil is just an excuse and a cop-out in my opinion.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I don't believe that we're just a blank slate when we're born, our conciousness has been influenced by everything that's happened to us in the past (good OR bad). And I think you can be reborn into bad or unsavory conditions because of what you did or how you reacted to something in the past. But I think anyone who's inherently evil, is like that because of their own doing.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think most "evil" is caused. However, I do think in some cases it is biological. Sometimes something just goes wrong with hormones or in the brain.

May 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
babiesrus
Interesting question. I used to believe that every person has good in them . . . sometimes you have to dig deep, very deep, but I lost that belief for a long, long time. It is changing though. I think that there are people who do bad things but someone loved them once. It's the way of the world, good/bad, ugly/beautiful, right/wrong. A ying to a yang.

To say we are born, evil, I don't believe that. I look at my babies the same way every mother must have at one time or another and hope great hopes for them. How they turn out is in part due to them, to me, to their environment and to outside influences.

As far as choosing to be evil . . . I think after a certain point there is probably no choice. Some issues that come from the mind are much too powerful to control.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I don't believe anyone is essentially evil, however, I think it is possible for some people to be "wired" differently, something about the chemical make up of them, that makes them more easily disposed to act evil if circumstances and environment influence them to do so. If that makes any sense.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I don't believe anyone is essentially evil, however, I think it is possible for some people to be "wired" differently, something about the chemical make up of them, that makes them more easily disposed to act evil if circumstances and environment influence them to do so. If that makes any sense.[/b]
Actually, yeah it does... and i agree with it to a certain point. My problem comes in with, are these people still inherently evil then? Does doing evil things make one evil?

To understand my perspective, i'm going to share something... I have this "aunt" (not blood related, just good friend of the family growing up) who i loved dearly, and still do. She was a great woman, always kind to me, etc... Of course, now that i'm older, i've learned some things about her my parents sheltered me from when i was little. She was SEVERELY abused and neglected as a child... so much so that she now suffers from multiple personality disorder. Apparently there were times when one of her other personalities would surface and begin cursing around me, and my parents always removed me or her from the situation, so i honestly never even knew... Her other personalities have also done TERRIBLE things. She killed her own baby. She set fire to a building. And she is now in jail because of those things... But the truth is, it wasn't HER doing those things, you know what i mean? So while i think those things may have been "evil" things... i still don't think SHE is inherently evil. I don't know if this makes sense, and i know some would completely disagree with me... But maybe it helps explain my thoughts on the matter a bit more.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I don't think there ARE inherently evil people. To me, it is just choices and actions. It does become a slippery slope or an addiction, as cavenaugh said, that becomes impossible to escape, but that doesn't make the person 100% evil. IMO, no one is 100% evil or 100% good.

So to your story, Caeden'sMama, no - I don't believe she is evil. I believe a part of her is inflicted with a horrible ... er ... affliction (excuse my redundancy), but there is good in her as can be seen when that part of her surfaces.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 2nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From a psychological standpoint, people who lack compassion have what we call Antisocial Personality Disorder. It's a pervasive and encompassing pattern of behavior that reflects a lack of caring, social perspective-taking, and respect for laws, morality, or even human life.

I don't even believe that ALL people diagnosed with APD are "evil" because I think that horrible abuse as a child can definitely result in rewiring of the brain to think differently about self and others. However, I have sat in a room with one man who I would consider pure evil. When I looked into his eyes, they were empty. Everything he said and did was calculated for maximum personal gain and he truly did not care if he hurt anyone else. He was worse than a manipulator, he literally did not see others as human beings, only as objects to be used. I could never figure out if he suffered abuse as a child because he would always steer the conversation to other, inappropriate, even scary topics. It was kind of like talking to Hannibal Lector.

It is very rare but I do believe a very, very few people might be born without the kind of compassion that keeps them from committing crimes, including rape and murder.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search